-

Photo
- - - - -

HTIB / 2 Speaker HT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Ashish

Ashish

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 03:14 AM

Before anything else, I want to say I am impressed by this forum because of its knowledge, expertise, atmosphere and responsiveness and thats just on the first day of joining.
I can see myself going through the threads in the future just for knowledge sake Posted Image.. Thanks to everyone here for taking the time to share their knowledge and help others.

My issue : Want excellent sound, without spending big bucks. (lets stay in the 400-500 range) Background : Thought of buying a HTIB due to price reasons. Tried a few. Not very impressed by the sound.
Present situation : Trying to change mindset from HTIB to component system and convince myself, that if I have to up the price a little, it will be worth it.
Pros : Own a DVD player with built in DTS/Dolby digital decoder and D/A converter. (specs below)
Cons : Know absolutely nothing about Home Theater's, no idea about different companies, do not much understand the meaning of the specs of different models etc.

Whats your recommendations/opinions/suggestions?. I care about the sound, sound and sound the most. From another thread, I saw someone
suggest a 2 speaker good quality system instead of a 5 speaker HTIB and I realized that probably that was a good idea and I could simply add stuff later. I can live with only two speakers
for sometime but I want the sound to be the best that I can afford.Trying to stay in my price range, what would be the recommendations for the receiver and speakers (5.1 or just lesser for now) , that will go well with
the DVD player that I already own? *or* Does anyone know of an HTIB which might be a better buy than the two speaker idea?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

-Ashish

------------------------------------------------------------

Pioneer DVD Player (DV-626D)
Specs :
  • S-video Output - 2 individual outputs
  • Video Output (RCA Jack) - 2 individual output
  • Component video output - 1
  • Audio Output (Stereo) - 2 pairs
  • Audio Output(5.1 Ch) (RCA Jack) - 1
  • Optical Output - 1
  • Coax Digital Output - 1
Digital audio characteristics:
  • Frequency Response: 4Hz to 44KHz(DVD fs: 96kHz)
  • S/N Ratiomore than 15dB
  • Dynamic rabgemore then 103dB
  • Total harminic distortion0.002%
---------------------------------------------------------

Silly question : Is there any way to make use of the speaker set that I have for the purpose of a home theater?
(may be atleast for now?)

GE 5 Pc Flat Panel speaker Set (HO98023)

System Power (RMS) : 19 W
Subwoofer Power (RMS) : 9W
Satellites Power (RMS) 2.5 W X 4
Speakers : 4" Subwoofer, 3" Satelites
Frequesncy Reponse30Hz - 200Hz (Subwoofer)
100Hz - 20KHz (Satellites)