Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox - Where is The Egyptian?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,872 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted November 22 2003 - 09:57 PM

I do hope Fox will release The Egyptian soon. One of my favorite films, with a great cast, fascinating story and wonderful music. Also, I hope Fox will issue the restored version of The Robe.

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 02:08 AM

I too want the Egyptian. The Robe has NOT been restored by Fox - just a new prnt made.
The already released DVD of The Robe looks and sounds great. Would lvoe to see the alternate flat version of the Robe on DVD. Around 1992 a stereo track for the Flat version was found.
BTW - Varese Soundtrack club just announced the release NEXT WEEK of a 2 cd set of the Robe. Only two minor cues are missing.

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted December 06 2003 - 02:12 AM

Add a third vote for "The Egyptian".
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,253 posts

Posted December 28 2003 - 09:26 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if they released this with directional dialog, which the Dolby mixes generally ruin? In fact, are there any DVD's out there with directional dialog? I will start a thread to find out...

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted January 14 2004 - 05:42 AM

Since it came up at at the other night's chat with Peter Staddon, I would like to add my vote for THE EGYPTIAN
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   M1uffy

M1uffy

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 12:15 AM

Yes, there's an official DVD of The Egyptian out in Spain since May 13, 2009. Posted Image I received my copy yesterday, and I'm absolutely thrilled.

It has a beautiful anamorphic widescreen transfer in 2.55:1, stereophonic sound in English and mono in Spanish. Subtitles only in Spanish.

It's this one here: Sinuhé el Egipto - Comprar películas en dvd de Todo Clásicos Posted Image

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1uffy
Yes, there's an official DVD of The Egyptian out in Spain since May 13, 2009. Posted Image I received my copy yesterday, and I'm absolutely thrilled.

It has a beautiful anamorphic widescreen transfer in 2.55:1, stereophonic sound in English and mono in Spanish. Subtitles only in Spanish.

It's this one here: Sinuhé el Egipto - Comprar películas en dvd de Todo Clásicos Posted Image
Wow! I had no idea this was available. Is it an actual officially licensed Fox version?

Does it include the Alain Silver & James Ursini commentary?
Alain Silver DVD Commentaries

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 01:26 AM

If so, this the first Fox dvd release in any country for The Egyptian. If we get in the U S I hope it has a 4.0 track inswtead of a 2.0.

But right now Fox is doing nothing.

This year we have h3ead a rerelease of The Robe, (with most extras only on the blu ray version !!), Man Hunt, hardly a major title, and another reissue of Diary of Anne Frank that looks like it will still be missing the two pieces of music (exit music act One and Entracte).

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Caps
This year we have h3ead a rerelease of The Robe, (with most extras only on the blu ray version !!), Man Hunt, hardly a major title, and another reissue of Diary of Anne Frank that looks like it will still be missing the two pieces of music (exit music act One and Entracte).
And the Carousel Blu-ray that looks magnificent.

I suspect the sackings that occurred late last year have something to do with the lack of Fox releases.

The state of the economy wouldn't be helping either.

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,595 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 16 2009 - 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
And the Carousel Blu-ray that looks magnificent.

I suspect the sackings that occurred late last year have something to do with the lack of Fox releases.

The state of the economy wouldn't be helping either.

I'm sure you mean SOUTH PACIFIC which does indeed look stupendous.

I had to stop just a minute and start planning to import CAROUSEL from somewhere overseas. Posted Image

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   M1uffy

M1uffy

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
Wow! I had no idea this was available. Is it an actual officially licensed Fox version?
Yes, it has the original Fox logos on the cover, but I suspect it is licensed by Fox to Impulso Records, which also states on the back cover.

The DVD comes in a keep case with a nice and 'strong' slip cover. Posted Image

Quote:
Does it include the Alain Silver & James Ursini commentary?
Alain Silver DVD Commentaries
No, it does not include any extras on the disc itself worth mentioning, but a beautiful 34 or 38 page booklet. In Spanish, of course, but with many photos. Posted Image

I would attach some screenshots, but the file size allowed is far too little. Posted Image Maybe, you can see them here: [Sonst.] - Sinuhe, der Ägypter... - Cinefacts But I'm afraid you will have to register to see them...

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   M1uffy

M1uffy

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 03:02 AM

I try to link some images directly, though I fear I shouldn't actually do so... Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted May 16 2009 - 07:53 AM

What a great cover! Now how do I buy it? I wish Amazon had a branch in Spain.

EDIT. I see I can buy this on ebay for £23.49 (free p&p). If I wait a bit it might be a bit cheaper. Wouldn't it be funny if I could get a R2 before the USA gets a R1 - esp. from Fox!!!

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   john a hunter

john a hunter

Supporting Actor

• 646 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 12:38 PM

Does Spain mean PAL which means 4% speedup.
I don't want that incredible score "f--ked" up.

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH.
I'm sure you mean SOUTH PACIFIC which does indeed look stupendous.

I had to stop just a minute and start planning to import CAROUSEL from somewhere overseas. Posted Image
Yes I meant South Pacific! I'm sure Fox could do great blu-rays of Carousel and their other CinemaScope 55 film The King and I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Batson

EDIT. I see I can buy this on ebay for £23.49 (free p&p). If I wait a bit it might be a bit cheaper. Wouldn't it be funny if I could get a R2 before the USA gets a R1 - esp. from Fox!!!
Fox has done this before. The Virgin Queen was available for in a U.K. region 2 version from April 2006, but was only released in the U.S. in April last year.

I bought a Fox region 4 version of John Huston's The Barbarian & the Geisha in March, 2006 that still isn't available in Region 1.

Then there are some releases officially licensed by Optimum from Fox in the U.K. such as Wild River that was assumed to be coming to R1, but it hasn't happened.

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   M1uffy

M1uffy

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Batson
dvdgo.com does international shipping, but the rates for postage & packing are extremely high, even to Germany. It only makes sense ordering at least 3-4 or rather 5-6 DVDs. See here for AEREA E: Comprar películas DVDs en DVDgo, Venta tienda online: Estrenos, Ofertas, Novedades, Series TV,

They're very fast though. If an item is in stock and I order it in the morning, I'll have it the next day in Germany. For the USA they also state a delivery of only 1-2 days.

Quote:
EDIT. I see I can buy this on ebay for £23.49 (free p&p). If I wait a bit it might be a bit cheaper.
And sooner or later it will probalby appear on Amazon Marketplace, but it might be fairly expensive there too.

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   M1uffy

M1uffy

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 16 2009 - 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a hunter
Does Spain mean PAL which means 4% speedup.
Yes, it does. As a German, I'm used to it, of course, and I actually prefer it to the 'jerking' of NTSC. Posted Image

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1uffy
Yes, it does. As a German, I'm used to it, of course, and I actually prefer it to the 'jerking' of NTSC. Posted Image
Same here! And everyone knows NTSC means Never The Same Colour! Posted Image

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,872 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted May 17 2009 - 12:56 AM

Managed to buy this when I was in Spain last week. Picture quality is excellent as is the 2 channel stereo sound, which retains dialogue directionality. Unfortunately my copy was missing the advertised 36 page booklet.

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   M1uffy

M1uffy

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 17 2009 - 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R
Managed to buy this when I was in Spain last week. Picture quality is excellent as is the 2 channel stereo sound, which retains dialogue directionality. Unfortunately my copy was missing the advertised 36 booklet.
Did your copy come with a slip case? The booklet is not inside the keep case, but next to it in the slip case. Actually, without it, the slip case should become too wide...

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow