What's new

changing speakers from large too small do you have to recalibrate?? (1 Viewer)

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
I think I know the answer to the question!

Here's why I ask!
when I am playing music and I just switch between large and small setting I don't like the way it sounds on the small setting. but I was thinking that I could lighten up the load on my receiver if I set it to small and let the sub handle more of the low end!i'm guessing its doesn't sound as good because the system was calibrated with it set to large! Does this sound logical?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes you should re-calibrate.

The sound of your sub depends a large part on placement. It is often easier to adjust things if you have a single low-frequency source in your room you can move around. Trying to have 2 low-frequency sources (your speakers when set to LARGE) causes complex reflections and these speakers are not usually placed in the best spot in the room for bass.

Set your speakers to small, use the sub and re-calibrate. Then play with the sub position. Put the sub in the corner of the 2 longest un-broken walls. Then move the sub along the wall to a 1/3, 3/5 position and see if the system sounds better in these positions. (ReCalibrate after each movement of the sub.)

Leave the system this way for ... a month. Then flip the speakers back to LARGE just to see if it still sounds better. Chances are you will think it sounds strange.

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

Thanks for the reply. right now it's sounds funny (like I am missing something) when I flip it the small! I will recalibrate the system with it set to small and see how i like it!! Do you think It will open up the mids and highs more if I take the load off the my DA4ES by setting the speakers to small?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Do you think It will open up the mids and highs more if I take the load off the my DA4ES by setting the speakers to small?
That IS one of the benifits to letting the sub handle all the low frequencies.

But (and this could be a big but) - Most of your life you probably have listened to stereophonic sound with 2 LARGE speakers. You are used to it for music. While I can argue that a separate sub gives you more options/adjustments, if it does not sound right to you, dont do it.

If you love your current music collection, any change could sound wrong. And I dont want you to change things because "...someone on the internet said this way was better".

If you can stand it, try setting all speakers to SMALL and use the sub. But dont expect it to sound good at first. It may take some time to get used to. And if it really annoys you - put things back. It's your system, and on this point, it's a matter of taste.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I might leave things large for music, small for sure for movies though. Perhaps later i will explain this more thoroughly, but that's my generalization.

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys tell me if I got this right!So do you guys agree that for movies all speakers should be set to small and let the sub handle all the bass? And that for music I may want to change it large if it sounds funny to me!I will have to recalibrate the system each time I change the settings. is this correct??

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Chris - in general, a system setup for music will work great for movies. But a system setup for movies will not always produce the most accurate/pleasing music response. If you play close to 50% music on your system, configure it so it sounds good for music and leave it that way.

Is that easier to understand? (we do get a bit chatty about options & issues).

Chris Grillo

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Thank you!!
I will try it both ways making sure I recalibrate.

Thanks to all of you for your input!!:D
PS I use my system for 80% movies and 20% music!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
If you decide to use the external sub, go to the speakers and subwoofers fourm and search for posts on "Subwoofer placement". This can have a dramatic effect on sound quality.

Try this: get a 6 pack of beer. Disconnect all the main speakers and put the subwoofer in place of your central seating position. (A 25 ft run of CATV coax with "F-to-RCA-Male" adaptors will cost you about $12 at Radio Shack, but give you a long subwoofer cable).

Fire up a bass-heavy CD or movie chapter and make it repeat.

Crawl around the corner of the 2 longest, un-broken walls and listen to the sound. In some spots it will be boomy, with echos, in other spots it will be smoother/tighter. Mark the smooth locations with a can of beer.

After you have several likely spots picked out, put the subwoofer in the first/best spot. Reconnect the speakers, recalibrate and fire up the track/chapter and listen. Drink the beer. Try putting the subwoofer in one of the other marked spots (after recalibrating) and listen again, drinking the beer from this spot.

Eventually you will find the best spot for your sub, or be so drunk you wont care anymore. (this is called a "win-win" :) )

Now you should have a good spot for the sub that works well for both music and movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks