What's new

Episode I -- No DTS... (1 Viewer)

Bruce_S

Second Unit
I am dissapointed to have read that the upcoming release of The Phathom Menance will not have a DTS soundtrack. It will only have Dolby Digital EX....
Why isn't George Lucas putting out DTS on this DVD? I guess, I have to wait for their "Superduper Special Edition".
thanks in advance,
bruce

Paul W

Second Unit
I think if you utilize the search feature (specify TPM and DTS), you'll find a thread stating that they did not have room for the DTS track.
Also, Superbit is a specific product of (Columbia Tristar???). TPM is being release by Fox.
I wouldnt be suprised if another version containing DTS wasn't release later on.
------------------
Link Removed Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Old news since the announcment - which was back last June.
The question was asked of one of the Lucusfilm people.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articl...wardqanda.html
: Sure. But one of the things that was a real challenge on this set, was that there's over six hours of value-added material - a lot of content. And to be honest with you, we had to make some tough choices as to what our priorities were, as far as what was going to make the final release. And that was one of the tough choices we had to make.
All the early reviews say the DD-EX track kicks ass.
Frankly, I'm more disappointed that Star Trek: The Motion Picture - The Directors Edition won't have a DTS track

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ok...with EVERYONE with the TPM DVD calling it the single greatest Dolby Track ever, maybe even DVD sound ever...you are still mad about no DTS. While I think it would be cool, as long as I can hear this disc in 5.1, and if it is half as good as everyone says, my house will shake apart. I am all for DTS, but in this case, I could care less!
------------------
card11.jpg

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I'm still waiting for someone to provide a comparison between the DVD and Japanese LD. I know that many have heard the LD and they, like I, think it truly is a reference audio soundtrack.
Elbert

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe they will put it on the Definitive Collection. Maybe then they will decide that consumers don't really need all of the special things that take up about six hours worth of disc space. They may decide to put all of the special features on seperate discs and have all the movies on another disc. That is the way that I would rather have it. And to be frank with all of you guys, I really don't want all of that extra stuff. Sure its nice, but I can do without. That is why I, and maybe a few of you, will embrace Columbia's Superbit Collection. I would rather have a pristine picture along with superb sound. Although I have to admit that if I were Columbia, I would try not to exclude having dts on other "so-called" Special Edition. There is enough room on the discs. 4.7 GB is alot of space, and I am tired of hearing excuses that there is not enough space on the discs!
I thought I would just put my .02 cents in.
RF

Gilbert Galindo

Stunt Coordinator
I for one believe they could have fit a DTS track if they really wanted to. Think of Cast Away, Die Hard And T2. Each had good transfers, at least one commentary and all had a DTS and Dolby Digital track. All where longer than Phantom Menace too. I would have also liked the documentary on disc 2 to be a little longer. 1 hour out of 600+ hours? The absent of DTS will not keep me from buying it. I'm sure the Digital track on the disc will rock.

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
I for one would want a separate DTS release. (And of course wishful thinking says DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete at full bit-rate in the DTS 24/96 format.) I say separate because there would be much less of a question whether video quality is compromised.
I would also like to address this "DTS is worthless because the DD track is already so awesome" thing. If I remember correctly, the DD "Saving Private Ryan" sounds quite spectacular, definitely up on the top with TPM. But, we all know that the DTS SPR does sound superior. Some will say that the DD Phantom Menace sounds better than the DTS SPR, but that's NOT a matter of DD being better than DTS, it's a matter of the sound mix. I'm just saying that "Saving Private Ryan" is a great example of how terrific a DD track can be, but still be topped by a DTS track. So I believe, and I doubt ANYONE could possibly deny, that a DTS Phantom Menace would sound superior to the current DD track given the track record of DTS being superior to DD.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Many people have used Fight Club's DD EX soundtrack as reference material to show off their home theaters, yet I don't hear anybody complaining that it lacks a DTS soundtrack.
[Edited last by Richard Kim on September 13, 2001 at 06:18 PM]

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator
I do not care in the slightest that it has no DTS. This is supposedly the greatest sounding dvd ever, and it would not be enhanced by the DTS format UNLESS it was at full bit rate, which would not have been done. I also seriously doubt that there ever will be a DTS mix for this movie, because it is my understanding that Lucas has some sort of tie with Dolby digital, and supports that format over DTS. DTS is championed by Steven Spielberg, which is why his releases (like SPR) have it. Since Spielberg champions DTS, would it not make sense for him to request that the mix is made superior to the Dolby digital? I think that is what the case is in SPR, and some of the other Dreamworks releases...

Jason_S

Stunt Coordinator
Richard,
You have now. I want FIGHT CLUB in DTS-ES! Let's start a petition.
Lawrence,
Remember that the DTS SPR is at half bit-rate. And yes unfortunately, Lucas, Dolby, and THX are attached at the hip with no surgery in sight. Also, even if Spielberg made a request to have the DTS mix be better than the DD mix, the end result still stands--DTS better than DD.
It's too bad that there is barely anyone at all that has a more than passive desire for an Episode I DTS track. The interesting thing is that when given a choice between separate DTS and DD releases of Ep. I (all else being equal), EVERY SINGLE person that has DTS at home would opt for the DTS disc. Tell me I'm wrong. (And don't tell me I'm wrong just for the sake of telling me I'm wrong. Tell me I'm wrong only if you really believe I'm wrong.)
[Edited last by Jason_S on September 13, 2001 at 07:15 PM]

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I want TMP in DTS! I am a BIG DTS fan.
It wont happen (EVER!) because Lucas, Dolby, and THX are so attached. It wouldnt be that much of a burden to make a seperate release.
Or even better, would be if they would take those damn extras off disc 1 and move it to disc 2 where they belong. Maybe that would free up the poor, poor space.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I would also like to address this "DTS is worthless because the DD track is already so awesome" thing. If I remember correctly, the DD "Saving Private Ryan" sounds quite spectacular, definitely up on the top with TPM. But, we all know that the DTS SPR does sound superior. Some will say that the DD Phantom Menace sounds better than the DTS SPR, but that's NOT a matter of DD being better than DTS, it's a matter of the sound mix. I'm just saying that "Saving Private Ryan" is a great example of how terrific a DD track can be, but still be topped by a DTS track. So I believe, and I doubt ANYONE could possibly deny, that a DTS Phantom Menace would sound superior to the current DD track given the track record of DTS being superior to DD.
Apples and oranges. The DTS DVD of "Saving Private Ryan" sounded "better" than its DD counterpart because an entirely different mix was used. It has NOTHING to do with it being encoded in DTS — a valid comparison of the two sound formats can't be made between two completely different soundtracks.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The SWPM LD sounds so good, I dare say it is the equal of DTS LDs and full bit-rate DTS DVDs, and I own bunch of both. I thought DTS was better till I experienced SWPM LD. I now think the care taken in crafting a soundtrack is the most important thing, not wheather you employ DTS or DD. I stille think DTS is often better but, it ain't necessarily so.....If this DVD sounds like the LD plus or minus 1%, it's a dynamo!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
I whole heartedly agree with Rachael. I listened to the SWPM LD last night for the first time, and WOW!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If the DVD is anywhere near the LD in its audio mix, it is gonna rock (the foundation of my apartment that is)!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If the studio ensures a good mix, for any movie, then DTS, DD, it don't matter to me!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Regards,
Daryl

Peter Loan

Second Unit
The two best soundtracks I have ever heard on any home video format are both Dolby Digital, not DTS. SPR and TPM on laserdisc are, dare I say better, than any DTS soundtrack I have ever heard.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I now think the care taken in crafting a soundtrack is the most important thing, not wheather you employ DTS or DD.
Bravo! All people who start threads complaining about the lack of a DTS track should be forced to write this sentence out 100 times.
M.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
One thing that you have to remember, frequently a DTS track is remixed to take advantage of the strengths of the format. When the tables are even, the difference is negligable at best

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I will admit that if there was a seperate DTS release, I would buy that over the DD, but as there wont be one, or at least the DD is first and is being proclaimed the greatest DD track, if not DVD, audio track EVER...I could care less. If you are mad about the lack of DTS, fine...just sit there and wait for it to come while I and countless others crank up our DD TPM DVD and become plastered into our seats by the destructive force of the sound mix.
------------------
card11.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks