-

Photo
- - - - -

Sub overkill?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Lyle_E

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 06:59 AM

Is it possible to have to many Subs?
I have a 10" and a 6" active and I have a 10" passive sub sitting in the other room that is not being used that I could hook up. feels like rumblevision but I dont want to overpower the audience (me)

the room is small 16 x 10'6" and is soon to be closed off from the rest of the house.
"its a little bit cheesy, but nicely displayed" - FZ
My Collection @ DVDSpot and the current Marysville UNOPLEX

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Justin

Justin

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 07:15 AM

In my experience I have come to the conclusion that you can never have too many subwoofers. Although.. I deal with car audio alot and With some of the setups i do for friends i use a 12" spl Subwoofer for those really low frequencies, And pair it up with a "10 High Powered subwoofer to kinda tighten up the mid level of the low end frequencies. When it comes to home audio Having alot of subwoofers is great sounding to me. But I am thinking that might Overpower all the highs. Personally, I think if you could Find a "moreso professional" manner of wiring 3 subwoofers without the classic splice and share methods All you would need to do is try to balance the power levels, Make sure your speaker wires are proper lengths *May slightly affect unicine* And do ALOT of calibrations. Another suggestion Would be to maybe look into investing in a "12 Powered subwoofer that would have sufficient performance specs unto itself to take care of your bass cravings. (May be the pricey way But may also be what you are looking for)

Anyway, I hope this helped, Im still a "toddler" in the home theatre world as a whole So if any of my information is misleading im sorry :b

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,537 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 22 2003 - 07:15 AM

It depends on the quality of the subs. I don't think the 6" sub is going to add much of anything, and the room is a bit small. A single, good sub, should be more than enough.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 04:36 PM

The 6" sub can be saved for something else, maybe a little sound system for your office.
"It sounds like it's barfing out the bass." - Zach

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 02:55 AM

Uh, just a quick question. What's the difference between passive and active in a subwoofer?

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,182 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 11:23 AM

Sub Overkill Posted Image

I am planning on building a custom box for dual 15" woofers for my HT system. Eventaully the plan is to have dual 18" JBL woofers powered by a mono block amplifier. Posted Image

Lets Feel It In THX Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,634 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 11:35 AM

Mark, please read our Primer. Active sub means the sub has its own amplifier.

Lyle, of course you can have too much sub-power. Totally blasting your windows out would be a pretty fair token of that.
However, even at lower power totals, you must be careful how you calibrate a system with more than 1 sub. Especially make sure that they are in phase, or they may (partially) cancel out each other.
In particular, switching one off as a test should not increase the bass, or some of the frequencies.

Cees

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 11:36 PM

Lyle, I'm currently running 4 subs in my HT setup, so in my opinion, it wouldn't be sub-overkill. You might reconsider using the 6" sub, don't think it will do much for the really low frequencies. Good Luck. Johnny Posted Image
On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 03:11 AM

I would personally not muddy up the soundfield with the 6" active sub. The placement of two subs, while not impossible, is sometimes hard to do right. I would rather place one great sub than try to place 2 or more subs.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 04:03 AM

There are several problems with running multiple subs, including the fact that in some placements you may wind up causing some frequencies to cancel each other out. This problem is nornally addressable however.

In your particular case, you are not likely to get much additional support for the low end frequencies with a six inch sub. The passive sub is another matter altogether. How much it will help depends on your receiver (especially how much clean power it delivers) and the efficiency of your R/L front speakers.

This is because the normal method of running a passive sub is to drive it from the R/L power (it is wired directly from the R/L outputs of the receiver and passes along frequencies above the crossover point of the sub). This means that your amplifier must have enough power to power both your main speakers and your passive sub. If you don’t have a robust receiver, you may wind up with less power for your main speakers (and potentially all of your other speakers) than is optimal.

So I would advise not adding the passive sub.

As to what you should do, get a SPL meter and calibrate your system, so that your sub is producing the amount of low frequencies relative to your main speakers that was intended by the audio engineers who mixed the soundtrack. Many people like to run their subs a bit ‘hot’ (or a few dB higher than is indicated by the SPL meter).

Even so, you may find that your sub is just not up to reproducing low frequencies at high volume levels. Now you have two choices: add another sub or purchase a new one altogether. Since you can add one or two more (6” and passive) more, you can now do so with measurements that will help you determine if you are improving your situation.

Calibrate and good luck.
¡Time is not my master!

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Lyle_E

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 05:27 AM

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of adding the passive sub but I have opted not too due to the responses i have gotten.

The 10" Klipsch handles the low freqs (100 KHz and lower) well and the 6" inch just seems to take care of (excuse the terminology) upper low end frequencies (150KHz and up). As time and money permit I may replace the 6 with a 12" or better someday.
"its a little bit cheesy, but nicely displayed" - FZ
My Collection @ DVDSpot and the current Marysville UNOPLEX