What's new

My new theater...The Escape (pics) (1 Viewer)

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
I've finally had a chance to get some pictures uploaded of the construction of my new theater, The Escape. I've been working on this since the last week in March and am currently about 90% complete. The room is 10'-3"W x 21'-0"L and has 7'-5" ceilings. The screen measures 94"W x 52"H and is made of Dazian Celtic cloth (acoustically transparent). Projector is a Panasonic AE100 (upgrade to 300/500 in near future). I am hoping to tackle the fiber optic star ceiling this weekend (have the materials on trailer as I write this) and will post pictures of it once completed.

Let me know what you think of it. Personally, I'm quite proud of the room considering that I have less than $2000 invested in the construction (less the equipment, obviously).

The Escape

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Man, that is really, really nice.

You need a little underwater camera that you can put in your aquarium and then show it on your screen. It would make the ultimate, grooviest screen saver.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Greg:

I have yet another reason to make it down to Jeff. Nice job. I really would like to see the Celtic cloth and Panasonic in the works together. Did you place your center channel in the center then?

Parker

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to thank everyone for the compliments on my theater. It's been a labor of love for me over the past few years and I'm just now able to have it come to fruition.

Jack, the carpet inset is one the pieces that I'm most proud of (along with the DVD storage cabinets/movie posters). The pattern is actually a Microsoft Publisher Clipart image that I printed out full-size on my company's 36" wide plotter. I then cut the two carpet colors out to match the pattern, then tape the you-know-what out of it on the backside.

Shane, the idea of the underwater camera in the aquarium is a great idea. I have a great aquarium screensaver right now, but having live images from my tank would be even cooler. Plus, it would be neat to show people looking into the tank on the screen!

Parker, the combo works pretty good. I used to have a blackout cloth screen (80"x46"), but went with the Celtic cloth once I started building the room. The picture quality difference is dramatic. The center speaker is actually about 2/3 down from the top of the screen. I wanted to keep all three speakers at the same tweeter level and not get them too high up when seated. Next time your in the JC area, shoot me an email. I'd love to show you what I've done and give you a demo.

If anyone is interested, I will possibly have 5 or 6 seats like the ones I have now for sale. These seats are originally made by Irwin (Irwin Galaxy) and were the actual seats used that the McDonnell Star Theater in St. Louis. You can go to Irwin's Website and click on "Galaxy" and see a picture of when the seats were installed. They do not come with any hardware, but everything can easily be purchased at your local Lowe's or Home Depot. I'm not sure of the price yet, but am always up for offers. Unfortunately, I won't be able to ship them, as there are a lot of pieces and they're heavy.

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
I've added a couple of pictures of the DVD cabinet for you, Glenise. These are as detailed as I have right now. If you need any info on how they were made, let me know.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Greg:

When you click on the picture link at yahoo it is returning with no pictures listed and the link at yahoo is coming up with no information.

Parker

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
There must be something wrong with Yahoo Photos, then. I can't access them either, at this point. I'll keep checking and let everyone know when they are available again.

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
It's actually a freshwater tank. I wish I had the time (and money) to have a saltwater tank. I've wanted to build in an aquarium for quite a while, but never had a place to do it. When the thought of building a home theater in the basement started to come about, I thought that it would be way cool to build one into the wall down there.

I also have the lights set up so that when the movie starts, it automatically turns the aquarium lights off and vice versa when the movie is finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks