Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#1 of 147 OFFLINE   Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 11:55 PM

Why isn't this show on DVD yet?

While it wasn't a big ratings success it does have a big and loyal fanbase.

Warner has put out so many TV Shows on DVD but I've never even heard a rumour about Brisco County, Jr. - it wouldn't even be that much work - it's only a single season after all.

This was a big pet project of Bruce Campbell so he would probably be happy to do some commentaries for the set.

Has anybody heard anything about a possible DVD release?

#2 of 147 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 01:28 AM

Warner has put a bunch of shows out on TV, but mostly (entirely?) current hits. A single-season show from ten years ago is a riskier proposition.

Supposedly, Columbia House was putting it out on VHS, but I don't know how well that did, if Warner was using that to gauge demand. Brisco is the sort of thing that's so far off the radar that it would probably take Bruce getting another TV series (one which does well) for Warner to consider dusting it off.

It's also the sort of thing that Anchor Bay could just kick all sorts of butt with, but unfortunately Warner doesn't license their properties out much.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 147 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 03:36 AM

Trust me, I'm working on Warner Bros to release it. Almost every time I talk to them I try and work it into the conversation. I would hope that it would sell something like B5. Not a mega hit, but nothing to ignore. With the show only lasting 1 year there's no fear from the fans that it may be dropped, and Bruce fans that haven't seen the show could make a blind purchase and know that they have the entire thing.

BTW - Warner hasn't really released tons of TV product. Compared to their catalog, they are really sitting on some gems.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 147 OFFLINE   Adam_WM

Adam_WM

Screenwriter

• 1,626 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 05:56 AM

Thanks, Gord. I can't wait to get Brisco County.

#5 of 147 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 07:30 AM

Gord.. The Columibia House tapes still sell for reasonable bucks on eBay.. it they did a good job with this it would sell like gangbusters, add some outtakes, an interview with the cast, commentary...

AND WHILE THEY'RE AT IT (It may not be a WARNER PROPERTY so it may not be feasable) get a 'same day' release with "Jack of All Trades", only a 22 epidoes 30 minute show, but was a lot of fun... )

gawd.. now I got the theme stuck in my head ("In 1861, the Revolution had been won, and Uncle Sam's favorite son, had a job that needed done...")

#6 of 147 OFFLINE   Jari

Jari

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 08:37 AM

Yes thank you Gord! I really want Brisco on dvd. I still haven't seen the last episode 'cause there was electric shortage during airing...Posted Image

Jack of All Trades sound good to me too... Bring it on! Bruce is the man! Posted Image

#7 of 147 OFFLINE   Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 01:07 PM

Here's another big Bruce fan who's eagerly awaiting this. When I met him in person a couple summers ago, this is one of the things I asked him about, and he knew of no plans at the time.

#8 of 147 OFFLINE   Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 03:10 PM

I'd buy a Brisco Box set in a second. I really love(ed) this show and have been awaiting a DVD release for years.

#9 of 147 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 06:43 PM

Quote:
Bruce fans that haven't seen the show could make a blind purchase and know that they have the entire thing.

Bingo. I never saw an entire episode while it was on but I'd probably pick up the show if were reasonably priced since I'm a huge fan of Bruce.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#10 of 147 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 07:05 PM

Quote:
Bruce fans that haven't seen the show could make a blind purchase and know that they have the entire thing.

Ditto for JOAT (Jack of All Trades) these would fly off the shelf if someone would get their act together and get it done..

Considering the relationshop between Anchor Bay, Sam Rami (who did both Brisco and JOAT) and Bruce.. this would SEEM to be a flat NO BRAINER for them do to (in particular JOAT since Sam's Rennisance Pictures did that.. not WB).

#11 of 147 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 02:12 AM

Quote:
Sam Rami (who did both Brisco and JOAT)
Sam wasn't involved with Brisco; it was created by Jeffery Boam (Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade) and Carlton Cuse (Nash Bridges), and had a handful of other producers (who, tellingly, tended to cast the Brisco crew a lot in their later shows).

Sam did work with one of Brisco's main producers, John McNamara, later on Spy Game, another short-run series which I'd dearly love to see on DVD.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#12 of 147 OFFLINE   Ryan FB

Ryan FB

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 07:06 AM

I'd definitely love to see this on DVD, I watched quite a few of the episodes on TV and enjoyed them thoroughly. Obviously, Bruce Campbell fans are a selling force...how many times have the Evil Dead films been released (and re-released, and re-released, and re-released...), again? Posted Image

#13 of 147 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Sam wasn't involved with Brisco; it was created by Jeffery Boam (Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade) and Carlton Cuse (Nash Bridges), and had a handful of other producers (who, tellingly, tended to cast the Brisco crew a lot in their later shows).

Ooops... brain slip... Sam and Bruce seem so joined at the hip at times it's hard to seperate them (grin).

(I just had a mental scene of Lord Bowler interacting with Jack Stiles.... AIEEEEEEEEE!)

#14 of 147 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,976 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 24 2003 - 08:47 AM

I'd pick this up in a heartbeat, as the show was a lot of fun!

Put my vote in for a JOAT set as well, which would be kick ass if combined with the Cleopatra show that it ran with in the "Action Pack" block (if that is in fact what they called it.)

Gord, keep up the good work banging tha drum on these releases out of E-Town! And thanks for all the work your doing on Kids In The Hall!

#15 of 147 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 09:09 AM

Cleopatra 2525 Season 1 is available in R2 UK. There is at least one US place renting it.

Personally I'd go for Brisco and JOAT in a HEARTBEAT!

#16 of 147 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 11:02 AM

I'd like to see some of the early Renaissance Pictures movies released. Columbia seems to just be sitting on Lunatics: A Love Story for instance. And the Darkman movies could all stand better releases.
My Collection

#17 of 147 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 12:28 PM

And Crimewave. Surely, there has got to be a market for a movie that is both early Sam Raimi and early Coen Brothers. Why is MGM (I think) sitting on this?

#18 of 147 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 01:11 PM

Quote:
Cleopatra 2525 Season 1 is available in R2 UK. There is at least one US place renting it.

There's a better set available in R4, the R2 set crams the entire 1st season into 2 discs (and disc 2 appears to be OOP).

The R4 set cover all the 1st season, and all but 6 eps of season 2 (the last 6 1hr eps). I've contacted the publishers and the tenative plans are for another 3 disc set in '04 to Finish the entire run.

box 1

box 2

#19 of 147 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:57 AM

Rick P, Can you list the episodes in the Second Box Set?

Michael's R4 comparisons give the first box set a pretty bad rating. http://www.michaeldv....ws.asp?ID=3720

While the UK discs are DVD-9s they seem to suffer the same problems as the DVD-5 R4 discs.

#20 of 147 OFFLINE   Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 04:46 AM

Box 1

Season 1
1. Quest for Firepower
2. Creegan
3. Flying Lessons
4. Mind Games
5. Home (1)
6. Rescue (2)
7. Run Cleo Run
8. Choices
9. Perceptions
10. Trial and Error
11. Double
12. Last Stand

Box 2

13. Hel and Highwater (1)
14. Hel and Highwater (2)
15. The Watch
16. Baby Boom
17. Brain Drain
18. Mauser's Day Out
19. Reality Check
20. The Pod Whisperer
21. Out of Body
22. Juggernaut Down
23. Truth be Told (1 hr episodes from here till end)

Missing, should be in box 3

24. In Your Boots
25. The Soldier Who Fell From Grace
26. No Thanks for the Memories
27. Noir or Never
28. The Voice

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow