What's new

Anime Question: Arcadia Of My Youth on DVD (1 Viewer)

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, can anyone in the know confirm whether or not the recent AnimEigo release of "Arcadia of my Youth" is in the original aspect ratio?

I've now cancelled my order when I read in a review that the previous video release (by the same company, apparently) was "widescreen". Before I had ordered it, though, the only comment on its 1.33:1 ratio I had read was that this was the way it was shown in theatres. Now I can't remember the source. I was sceptical, since this was 1982, but after reading nothing but positive reviews without any mention of the aspect ratio, and reading about AnimEigo's track record, I went for it.

So:

1. Is it really 1.33?
2. If so, is this pan & scan or open matte?
3. If pan & scan, would you recommend getting it anyway?

Thanks! :)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Here is what I have gathered...

The OAR of this film is in fact 1.33:1. AnimeOnDVD says in their review of the disc...

Originally released to theaters back in 1982, the film is presented in its original aspect ration of 1.33:1.
So, I am 100% sure it is an OAR disc. That should help you feel better about buying it! :D

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Tony. I had read that review and still had doubts lingering in my mind: that mention in the other review about the VHS widescreen version, and that I founnd it odd that anyone would make a theatrical movie in 1.33 by 1982.

So I emailed Jeff Kleist, and he put my mind to rest:

I don't have the disc, but virtually all anime of the era was done with 1.33:1 as the intended ratio and later matted for the theater.
The AnimEigo release is supposed to be a new, "uncut" version, so it is probably just such a case. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks