-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anime Question: Arcadia Of My Youth on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Frederic_A

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 06:45 PM

Hi, can anyone in the know confirm whether or not the recent AnimEigo release of "Arcadia of my Youth" is in the original aspect ratio?

I've now cancelled my order when I read in a review that the previous video release (by the same company, apparently) was "widescreen". Before I had ordered it, though, the only comment on its 1.33:1 ratio I had read was that this was the way it was shown in theatres. Now I can't remember the source. I was sceptical, since this was 1982, but after reading nothing but positive reviews without any mention of the aspect ratio, and reading about AnimEigo's track record, I went for it.

So:

1. Is it really 1.33?
2. If so, is this pan & scan or open matte?
3. If pan & scan, would you recommend getting it anyway?

Thanks! Posted Image

#2 of 4 Frederic_A

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 05:38 AM

Anyone? Jeff? Posted Image

#3 of 4 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 04:19 PM

Here is what I have gathered...

The OAR of this film is in fact 1.33:1. AnimeOnDVD says in their review of the disc...

Quote:
Originally released to theaters back in 1982, the film is presented in its original aspect ration of 1.33:1.
So, I am 100% sure it is an OAR disc. That should help you feel better about buying it! Posted Image
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#4 of 4 Frederic_A

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 06:45 PM

Thanks, Tony. I had read that review and still had doubts lingering in my mind: that mention in the other review about the VHS widescreen version, and that I founnd it odd that anyone would make a theatrical movie in 1.33 by 1982.

So I emailed Jeff Kleist, and he put my mind to rest:

Quote:
I don't have the disc, but virtually all anime of the era was done with 1.33:1 as the intended ratio and later matted for the theater.

The AnimEigo release is supposed to be a new, "uncut" version, so it is probably just such a case. Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow