-

Photo
- - - - -

Pioneer Elite Rear Projection TV's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   BobK

BobK

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 04:02 PM

I am looking at purchasing a rear projection television for my home theater. I have lots of windows and I believe that rear projection will offer better contrast than a front projector. Does anyone have any comments about Pioneer Elite rear projection TV?

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Skyler

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted November 22 2003 - 01:45 AM

I have a 2003 Pioneer Elite Pro630 HD. It has been a damn good RPTV, the best I've ever had. Pioneer Elite is widely considered the Cadillac of RPTV's. They are tweakable, have a beautiful picture (GREAT SD picture, line doubler), 2 HDCP DVI inputs, industry leading fit & finish, the best stretch modes, & a 2 year warranty. They also have some BIG REBATES right now.

What SUCKS is the 530, 630, 730 have a defect in which many sets are displaying random red, green, or blue streaking lines. This is a HUGE PROBLEM! Pioneer is admitting the problem, trying to fix it, and scratching their head. There is a pioneer forum at the hometheaterspot that has a 10 page thread on this issue.
DVD Aficionado
My DVD Profiler

"Nobody puts Baby in a Corner!"

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   BobK

BobK

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 01:39 AM

Thanks Skyler,

I went to the Forum you suggested and looked at the posts. Do you know if Pioneer has determined what the root cause is? It does look like they are trying a few different fixes without exactly knowing what causes the problem. Have you seen the problem on your set?

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Skyler

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 04:06 AM

Yes, I have seen the lines on mine. They show up when the set is initially powered up, for a few seconds. I am not ready to have a tech inside my set until Pioneer figures out a fix. As of now, they haven't. They will, because this is a MAJOR problem. I'm just not willing to be a Guniea Pig for them.
DVD Aficionado
My DVD Profiler

"Nobody puts Baby in a Corner!"

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Brian H

Brian H

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 08:11 AM

Well, this is interesting........ I went to my local Pioneer Elite dealer, plastic in hand, and ready to buy. They told me that Pioneer had exited the RPTV business. I told them that was nuts because they just introduced new models a couple of months ago.

Are you guys telling me that Pioneer still is in this business and my local dealer is lying to me?

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   greg_t

greg_t

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted November 23 2003 - 08:53 AM

Pioneer introduced the 530, 630, and 730 last December or so. This year, they made a couple of changes which are replacing the DVI inputs with HDMI, and adding an ISF calibration mode. They also dropped the 630. The newer models are called the 530HDI and 730HDI. These were only introduced a couple of months ago, so I would tend to think it's more a matter of short supply. There has been talk that the 30 series will be the last of the RPTV as Pioneer is concentrating on Plasma. So the answer is no one really knows when the RPTV production will stop. I would search around for a few more dealers. But they do seem to be in short supply right now.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas

Second Unit

• 252 posts

Posted November 24 2003 - 11:25 AM

I have a 630HD also that had the red lines show up two weeks ago. I too am waiting for Pioneer to solve the problem before calling to have somebody look at it. To much of a chance of somebody jacking things up in there and still having the problem. Up until that point I was very happy with my set but every time I see those lines I keep thinking how long before they get worse and worse. I'm hoping Pioneer resolves this very soon and I can go back to enjoying my set. I wonder if Pioneer is holding back production on the new sets till the problem is found? Just a thought.
Jim

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Dave Man

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 12:45 AM

I was in my local dealer's place last week and he told me that Pioneer was no longer going to be selling those rptv's. I don't know about exiting the business altogether, but he did say that those sets were being discontinued.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor

• 908 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 01:04 PM

It is true after the I series of elites there will be no more elite rptv.

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   BobK

BobK

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 02:03 AM

So would buying one now be unwise? How long does a RPTV usually last? I am making the move from a traditional CRT type to RPTV. Now I'm now sure what to do. Are there any other brands that you might recommend? I currrently have a Mitsubishi 35" tube which as served me well for 10 years. Comments Anyone??

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   John S

John S

Producer

• 5,460 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 02:36 AM

Sort of a shame, the Elite's all had some of the best of the best pictures when I recently went looking too.

Hard call for you for sure, I am actually sort of glad the Elites were all out of my price range, thus I am not facing the same choice as you are. They would have been a top pic for me given a larger budget.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 11:19 AM

BobK: I was going to buy the Pioneer Elite 730HD until I learned of the defect. I just purchased the Mitsubishi 65813 (Diamond) and can report that the HD picture is absolutely stunning. SD looks damned good, too. We are using this set in a room with a lot of windows and have to lower the blinds to cut the glare.

I don't know what size set you are looking for but Mits also makes a 55813.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   BobK

BobK

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 02:33 PM

Thanks Lisa,
I thought someone might mention the Mitsubishi TVs. I am looking for a 64 or 65 inch screen. I am building a new home in Michigan about 35 miles SE of Kalamazoo (western side of Michigan). Don't know if OTA HD reception if feasible in that area. I know cable isn't. I currently have a Hughes sat. dish that is SD. I have a Panny progressive scan DVD. How is the 65813 on SD reception? I probably watch 70% SD and 30% DVD. If I need to, I would switch to HD SAT receiver. Thanks for the response.

Bob

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 02:58 PM

Bob: We are using the 65813 at my parents' home in South Florida where they have a Sony HD satellite dish and an OTA antenna for HD. They are using the tv for 70% HD and 30% SD (mostly news channels). I think that the SD reception is very good. I would recommend getting an HD Satellite receiver since - even if you don't get OTA HD - you will get HDNet and Discovery HD which are both stunning.

I like the set so much that I am strongly considering it for my NYC apartment where I watch 50% SD via cable and 50% HD via cable.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Brian H

Brian H

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted November 28 2003 - 03:47 AM

BobK: I am in process of replacing my Pioneer Elite PRO-96 RPTV with a new FP. My Elite ran flawlessly for the 8 or 9 years that I've had it, and I hate to get rid of it. Kind of tough to tuck it unobtrusively into a corner though, so I guess I'll just have to settle for the few hundred bucks I'll get for it! Posted Image Posted Image