What's new

Universal: Please reissue The Sting! (1 Viewer)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Any news on this? I refuse to buy the current bare-bones Pan & Scam version of this classic.

Thanks for reading Universal!

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
Amen brother!!!!!!!! Why this great title hasn't been treated with respect's a total mystery from both a preservation and business standpoint.

Bob Engleman

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There were rumors of this over a year ago, but... And what about PARENTHOOD, IMO Ron Howard's most perceptive work.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
What does Ron Howard have do do with "The Sting"? I have a widescreen R2 version of "The Sting".

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
What I indicated was that I had heard rumors that THE STING would be re-issued as a widescreen special edition. Then I mentioned PARENTHOOD, and Universal pan and scan title which needs to be revisted in widescreen. Not trying to hijack the post, but the two items are related in this way.

Dick White

Stunt Coordinator
Yes. The Sting is a title that belongs in my collection, but isn't there because it needs an OAR anamorphic release (without forced trailers). Pretty please?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm in....probably along with a bazillion other HTFers. This is a title that I think would be a "gimme" for the studio. The P&S version isn't even that easy to find. They would have to sell a LOT of copies of this one done right.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I thought Universal was supposed to do SE's of THE STING, DEATH BECOMES HER and BACKDRAFT a couple years ago.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
No Sting for me until its released in widescreen. I'd love to own this film. Please Universal, release it ASAP.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am (very) guardedly optimistic these past few months seeing that Universal is pouring numerous catalog titles out in their "Franchise Series," and am hoping this is just the beginning of a change of heart/policy (a la Warner Bros) regarding older titles. I hope THE STING shows up soon.

Fred Sliman

Auditioning
A hearty agreement on this one. The studio has issued this great title on three different occasions without a widescreen redo. I'll stick with my 20 year old VHS until someone does right by this personal favorite.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Isn't there something we (at the HTF) can do?

A quick check just revealed to me this is the only Best Picture Winner (save Chariots of Fire) in the last 50 years that has not been released on DVD in its OAR. Well, excepting Return of the King! ;)

Why?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The region 2 is non-anamorphic - you might as well just get the region 1 and zoom-in the open-matte framing yourself.

Universal must be aware that a SE is needed and wanted?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'm in! I would definitely buy a carefully transferred widescreen THE STING. It doesn't have to be an SE with extras, just a high-quality, lovingly transferred OAR.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
So THE STING II will be released while the original is still the Crappy FF Transfer. Makes no sense at all Universal.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
How's it that one of the worst sequels in movie history's on DVD, but the original's in moratorium?

Bob Engleman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks