What's new

Mario Kart : Double Dash Discussion (1 Viewer)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
Wow, it is Thursday and no thread about this highly anticipated game, what is going on? I have noticed this for quite some time, not much encouragement or gaming posts compared to about 4 months ago....

Anywho, I would like to read your impressions as I would like to pick this up.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
This game is very fun and addictive, just like the old Mario Karts.
The two player co-op is actually very fun and cool and adds some twists to the gameplay. Nothing like having the guy in the back thrust to the side, pulling the Kart onto the road as you missed a turn and almost fly off a cliff!
The battle mode is fun, but the stages are very ho hum. Only four to choose from but still lots of fun. The bobomb blast is the best, just insanity of explosions everywhere. I like how the points shift throughout the matches, meaning you have to score three in a row.

My MAJOR complaint though is with the AI. I read on some forums about LOTS of people complaining about this and lots of people saying it is fine and just that people like me suck and need to practice more, but there is too much cheating going on in this game.
It is the same problem that plagued the 64 version, which is the AI catch up logic. For example, each racer has one rival kart in grand prix, one guy who will ALWAYS be a challenge no matter what. The thing is he is faster than you, recovers from hits faster, and has an uncanny ability for aiming weapons perfectly behind him. This is all proved very easily if you try it. I was playing with my roomate and we nailed Wario with Bowser's Shell(or the eye of sauron as we call it)which in turn threw him into a banana peel close by, which caused him to slip off the bridge and to his doom as we race by. At this point, he fell to eighth place FAST! Withing FIVE seconds, he was back into first place. On the radar for the track all of a sudden you see his icon just SURGE past all other karts to take first, and he STAYED faster than us. I dont mean the subtle he has a faster kart faster, just plain "I am cheating" faster. It is hard to explain unless you are playing it.

As for the weapons, the red shell now homes in a lot better, the spiked shell is more terrifying to be hit with, but all the weapons lack a certain oomph to them. You recover(more appropriately the computer recovers) MUCH too quickly from hits from weapons. It used to be if you got hit you were gonna fall a spot or two no matter what. And now the bannana peels dont make you slide so much, so you really cant recover from them.

Other than that, this game rocks hardcore. I havent had a chance for system link yet, since I dont own a second cube, but might get one just for the Zelda disc.

Evan M

Second Unit
I ordered it, but have not received yet. I am highly anticipating giving it a shot, though :)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Having a time of my life with this game. Combine this with the excellent Mario and Luigi (need a thread for that game soon) and Star Wars : Jedi Academy (for X-Box)...and I am gaming heaven. :D

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoy the game so far. One of the things I noticed is that the weapons are a much more important aspect of the game. In Mario 64, I could keep a lead just using the power slide. Sometimes, people would get a spiny shell but not as often as in this game. It's really good in my opinion because it gives my friends a decent chance to beat me!!!

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The weapons do seem more important, as does rider management as well. But the fact that weapons dont screw you over as bad anymore kind of bothers me. And also, I miss the days of putting green shells behind me and having them lay in the road instead of flying. I always liked making walls of doom with shells on races and battle mode.

Of course, I am the punk who likes putting the fake item boxes in a row to make it look like a legit set of em in new places on the track. I am just a sneaky bastard is all.

And I suck at powerslides.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to get this title.

I'm trying to decide on Zelda whether to :

Also get Mario & Luigi Superstar, and sign up on the website.
Also get 1080 and sign up on the website (hoping they are still in stock by 12/1).

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
The tracks are too short, there aren't enough of them, and the battle mode tracks are tiny. Also, the absence of hopping is disenheartening.

I like being able to use different carts with different riders, and I am not upset with the cheating a.i., because that's what mario kart is all about. Coop mode is a neat idea but doesn't really leave enough for the person in back to do.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
I would like to slightly revise my statement: coop mode is very fun if you play on 150cc or mirror mode, although it ends up making the game a little too easy.

Like many games, consumption of alcohol also makes it more fun.

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
I picked it on release day, and have been greatly enjoying the multiplayer side of things. Keep in mind the following is just my opinion.

As a single player game, Mario Kart:DD was NOT worth my money.
The tracks are all too short, or knockoffs of the MarioKart 64's, and while some have fun quirks, most are bland and just don't stick the way MK64's did. I don't get excited or look forward to any maps, it's just "what's next", where-as in MK64, I always knew what courses I wanted next. As a stand alone game it is alright, but I can't help thinking, every time I play, about the things I really miss. Jumping over the corners of pits, holding a item behind me as a shield, things of that nature.

As a multiplayer game, it is nothing short of GREAT. Get 3 friends over, and have some FFA action, or pair up for some 2 people per kart racing. This game brings out the best, and the worst, in any group who plays it. It just oozes competition, and many races are so close it will leave you pounding your fists on the couch while your friends laugh at your oh-so-close failure. Battle modes are a joke, the maps are terrible, the actual games are a shadow of what I expected, all in all, I am very dissappointed with them.

All in all, this game was worth it because I always have a couple people around for some intense multiplayer gaming, but if I had purchased this with the intention of spending all my time on single player, i'd be sorely dissappointed by the lack of innovation, and pieces of it's predeccessors that I so sorely miss.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Myself, I was a bit disappointed. Didn't seem to have that old Mario Kart feel. Will put the multi play to the test Thanksgiving for another round of Bird Day Gamers Wars. I have pretty competitve people coming, perfect for blowing off steam after putting the Turkey Day dinner together all morning!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Does it still give you crappy items in you are in 1st place like MK64? I remember hanging back in 2nd to get good items then using them in the last lap to get ahead... it was sorta annoying :)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Yeah, you only get certain items if you're behind still. The frequency of mushrooms and red shells you get increases, and you are unable to get the lightning bolt, infinite mushroom (toad special item), blue shell, or chain chomp (baby special item) until you are in at least 5th. However, I do like the giant banana peel and bob-omb, and you seem to get plenty of those when in first place. Quite handy defensive weapons.

Evan M

Second Unit
well, I enjoy the game.. but not as much as I was hoping.

The absence of hopping is pretty disappointing. Although the power slide is useful in it's own way now, being able to get a boost out of the corners. The multiplayer is fun and the new modes of battle mode play are a nice addition.

On multiplayer, I really miss having the block city map from the N64 or whatever it was called.. the 3 tiered one, with red,yellow, blue, green all connected by bridges and such.. that map ruled! But, the maps on MKDD are comparable, aside from that one nit-pick.

The Co-Op mode is nice, especially if you have people who want to play but can't drive. (*cough*my wife*cough*)

All in All, I think it is a very good game, and well worth buying. The problems I have with it or minor annoyances and are based more on how familiar I was with the previous mario karts. MK DD is a very good game, in it's own right.

Evan M

Second Unit
One thing I forgot to mention, I really like the way they changed the dynamic for getting a "boost" at the beginning of the race. It seemed so random in previous versions, but now with a little timing/rhythm you can get the boost almost every time.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I haven't really been into the MK series since the SNES incarnation. MK64 I found to be boring (compared with the original) because the tracks were far too wide-open and thus the sense of speed almost nonexistant - so the courses, with perhaps the exception of the freeway level, required very little of the precise maneuvering skills as in the original. And although the battle modes were fun, I've never been able to get excited about split-screen multiplayer, particularly with three or more players.

I see the MK games lately, just like Mario Party series, to be only fun when you have multiple players. And unfortunately, I know very few people who like video games.

s!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just bought it and am trying to talk the girlfriend into letting us open our Xmas gifts early (we gifted each other a Cube + MKDD and MP5).

Kinda disappointed to hear about the limited Battle Mode tracks. That was the main weakness of Kart on the 64. We loved the VS mode (we often had many friends over to race) but was bummed at the meager number. I had hoped that finally moving to an optical disc format (as opposed to cartridge based) would allow them to put more tracks in there. Especially for Battle Mode. Out of all of the people I knew who had Kart and a N64, everyone's favorite mode was Battle.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
This game was difficult. Especially that All Cup mode in 150 cc. I unlocked Mirror Mode which you must beat ACM in 150 cc. Mirror Mode gold beaten unlocks 2 new characters and a car. You get King Boo (The ghost) nd King Peaty (A giant plant) as well as his pipes to drive in.

You can also get King Boos pipes if you beat the mirror mode special cup.

I found Mirror Mode to be kind of difficult even more so than 150 cc regular.

Mirror Mode is 150 cc races, but you go in the reverse order and all the levels are in reverse. Everything is opposite. Pretty dang difficult.

Beat every one. Only have Mirror Mode All Cup to still beat which seems like it will be the most diffiult challenge of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks