What's new

Attention, "alot" is not a word. (1 Viewer)

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
I am sorry I could not take it any more. I see it everyday and it is driving me mad. The proper phrase is "a lot". An example in a sentence would be,

A lot of people make this mistake.

Come on people let's use the spell check.

There, I got it off my chest. Feel free to list your own spelling pet peeves.

James T

Screenwriter
I thought both spellings were okay.

Anyway, mine are "There, their and they're".
ITS and IT'S are also pretty bad

And spell check won't fix that, since it's a grammer thing

Joe S

Second Unit
Had to jump in with something that drives me mad. I can't say if I've seen it here or not, but I've seen it for years on other web forums and bulletin board systems.

For a long time I've noticed some confusion between the words "then" and "than", resulting in sentences like "Mine is bigger then yours". :D

I'm convinced there is a teacher somewhere who is confused or can't pronounce correctly. This produced scores of individuals who use "then" instead of "than".

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

I would prefer: "Many people make this mistake."
...or perhaps this way: "People often make this mistake."

I dislike when people use "e.g." and "i.e." interchangeably.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Its certainly common enuf. Their are going to be misteaks like this. Than again, I'm not one to talk. But thanks alot four the advice.

:D

(God...that was painful to even TYPE that.)

Don't hit me...'twas done in jest! :D :D :D

Lee Carbray

Second Unit
Its a message board, not a english paper
Proof reading your post should be common courtesy to those reading them. It also ensures that the reader will understand it. At the same time I am not saying everything should be perfect. That one just bugs me. I expect typos and that sort of thing, even with the spell check. Sometimes one is just in a hurry. However the use of the word "alot" is so common that it appears that most people don't know it is wrong.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I'll be the first to say "Silica"

:p

I was once in an AP English class in high school and I had to do a term paper and on my title, I put

"A Seperate Peace" :b

Apparently, I did the title page separately from my paper and neglected to run the spell checker on my title page!!! Teacher was pissed but I was laughing my ass off (Although not out loud)

Jay

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
Yeah, separately is a problem also.

Here's one I've seen at least 40% of the time:

Its rediculous.
I know you're just pointing out another common one. "Re" instead of "Ridiculous."

And before someone point this one out:

Canceled or Cancelled is acceptable although many will point out that Canceled is the correct one.

And how about " of course".

Its a message board, not a english paper. Expect spelling and grammer mistakes.
Well, putting aside for a moment the four major errors in these two sentences, I ask you this...

If people spoke the way that they write on these "message boards," you would immediately peg them as 'not so bright' wouldn't you? So why should it be any different here? For better or worse, this discussion board is a written medium and as such, you should be aware that fairly or unfairly, you will be judged by what you write. If you don't care enough about your postings to ensure that they follow proper English spelling and grammatical rules, then why should we care enough to reply to them?

The one peeve that drives me mad is "could of" , "should of" , and "would of." Because young people have either forgotten -- or more likely, never learned -- how to read and write properly, we now get horrible phonetic attempts of "could've" and "should've" that result in something that makes no sense in written form. Those contractions really should be discarded altogether for the proper "could have" and "should have."

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I always thought that a discussion based message board should be more laid back and casual. I usually construct sentences in the same way that I would hold a converstation.

I think it is a more natural and friendlier way of communicating on discussion boards and on the internet in general. It feels more like a conversation between friends or acquaintances.

Typing your conversation on a keyboard doesn't make it any more formal.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
My pet peeve is people correcting someone else's spelling errors, IMO you come off as arrogant, pompous and self righteous.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
My pet peeve is people correcting someone else's spelling errors, IMO you come off as arrogant, pompous and self righteous.
And better educated, more attentive to detail and all around more intelligent. Shame, shame on you proper spellers for caring about the image you project. Shame!:D

My personal favorite - "How did Grady Little not take out Pedro and cause them to LOOSE the game".

It's L-O-S-E, people. I can see misspelling a word and I'm not anal about it; but when the misspelling is another perfectly legitimate word with an entirely different pronunciation, it really is pitiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks