-

Photo
- - - - -

Just one JBL N24...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   James C. Jr.

James C. Jr.

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 04:20 PM

Hi,

I have a surround setup using a Kenwood VR-6060 as my reciever. I have a pair of JBL N28s as my front mains, a N-Center and a pair of N24s as my surrounds. My reciever supports a rear surround channel and I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas one where I could purchase just one N24 to use as the rear surround. I've tried using an old N-Center as the rear surround and it sounded like garbage; way too high. So I'm set on finding another N24 as the rear surround. I'd appreciate all feedback. Thanks everyone.

Jim

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 04:48 PM

Iv'e got to believe someone else is in your same position and could use one as well. I bet if you bought a pair you could sell the other fairly easy.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   RichardH

RichardH

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 05:09 PM

Alternatively, they're pretty cheap, so you could just keep the extra around as a spare.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 20 2003 - 02:46 AM

yea .. maybe you'll go 7.1 in the future sometime. Harmandirect I think sells them on Ebay sometimes. This seems like an ok deal. I thought I even saw a single one somewhere a while back. Can't remember where though now.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   JohnTKline

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted November 20 2003 - 05:07 AM

James, check ebay, you might find a single. But you could just buy a pair and use it for 7.1 if your reciever supports it.
I have an n24 with a broken bracket, so I almost bought a single n24 but it went for about 25.00+shipping, and the bracket through harmonkarden was 21.00 shipped...

John

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

• 1,868 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 01:32 AM

Quote:
... buy a pair and use it for 7.1 if your reciever supports it.

If your AV Receiver doesn't have two Rear Center Channel outputs, you can still use two speaker by wiring them in-series!

That's what I did when I upgraded to 6.1, I bought another JBL S26 for my Rear Center Channel and wired them in-series, ... which sounds glorious in my 20' x 30' HT/family room!

I followed the recommendation from Dolby Labs Listener's Guide to DD-EX website ...

Quote:
For Dolby Digital EX playback, as with regular 5.1 playback, place the left and right surround speakers to the sides of, or slightly behind, your listening position. For the third surround channel, place an additional surround speaker, or, preferably, an additional pair of surround speakers, directly behind the listening area, as shown in Figure 2.

The ideal is to have identical speakers for all the surround channels. They should at least be of the same brand and of similar design.
Posted Image
Figure 2: Conventional Dolby Digital vs. Dolby Digital EX playback in the home

Hope this helps,
Phil
My HT Enthusiasts Google Website
---- Toshiba 62HM196 62" 1080p DLP HDTV pic's (#1 in Consumer Reports)
DVD Aficionado (DVDAF) on-going list.
Acquisition Rule #59 “Free advice is seldom cheap.” (Quark @ DS9)
JBL S-Series + SVS 25-31PCi (SN: 00034) w/NSD Upgrade!

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 03:44 AM

Phil, no amp problems caused by the increase in impedance by wiring in series?

Not all amps will be able to handle this and is not recommended.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Edwin_C

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 05:21 AM

increase in impedance isn't a problem at all, it's decrease that causes damage.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 05:57 AM

I will now slink away into the corner and hide. I hate making mistake in public.Posted Image
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

Forum Nav Content I Follow