Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Audio Out on new TV not working?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Christopher_P

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 12:26 PM

Ok just bought a totally new HT setup from top to bottom and I have a problem. I have my VCR/Tivo/Cable TV lines running direct to the tv and I want to run audio outs to my receiver but for some reason I am not getting any audio signal. Everything is setup correctly as far as i can tell just no audio Posted Image Any idea whats wrong guys?

All my consoles, DVD player, etc... work fine its just the vcr/tivo/cable tv that gets no audio through the receiver even though i have a cable going from my audio outs on my tv to the audio ins on my receiver. Setting on my receiver is correct and as far as i can tell so is my TV. Kinda stumped so I thought I'd check with you guys.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Tim K

Tim K

Second Unit

• 402 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 12:47 PM

there is no reason to run audio through your TV if you want to use your HT speakers. Run audio outs directly from your cable box, dvd player, VCR, Tivo, etc. to your receiver.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Christopher_P

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 20 2003 - 05:10 AM

I tried running the tivo/vcr/cable direct to the receiver via a/v's BUT when I do that I get no picture OR audio. Thing is I know there isn't anything wrong with the plugs on the receiver becasue i had it hooked up in another room to a different setup and those inputs worked fine.

(cable line - vcr - tivo - receiver - tv) no audio/video

(cable line - vcr - tivo - tv - audio out from tv to receiver) picture and audio only out of tv speakers when I swtich them on. No audio through receiver Posted Image

My DVD player, all 4 consoles(dvd player and xbox hooked up via component and optical audio), all work fine via receiver. Its the VCR and Tivo i can't get audio through it.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Christopher_P

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 20 2003 - 11:16 AM

ACK it WAS the inputs on the receiver that don't work. I went through checked cable by cable to make sure nothing was damaged. Well i tried hooking up something else to the same inputs and it still doesn't work. So I hooked up the Tivo/vcr/cable into the extra 3rd input on the front of the receiver and it works fine now.

I guess the input on the back is dead Posted Image Now I have to check to see if i still have a warrenty on it NOOOOOO. (on the up side everything works fine now I just can't use that set of inputs)

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Tim Robbins

Tim Robbins

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 01:16 AM

You didn't say what receiver you are using, but make sure the inputs you hooked your vcr/tivo/etc to are looking for an analog signal, not digital.

Just a thought

Tim

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Christopher_P

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
You didn't say what receiver you are using, but make sure the inputs you hooked your vcr/tivo/etc to are looking for an analog signal, not digital.

Just a thought

It is an onkyo receiver (HT560 I ... think not in my living room atm). I've had it for awhile hooked up in another room but now that I got my new TV and other components it isn't working. Setup Correctly looking for an analog signal everything but that set of imputs works fine. Doesn't matter what I toss into those inputs nothing will work on em. Consoles, Tivo, you name it.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter

• 1,160 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 05:00 AM

On my Panasonic 36" TV, the audio outputs will not work if the user audio menu has the TV speaker setting turned "ON". You may need to go into the Audio menu of the TV and turn off the TV speakers.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 09:59 AM

on some receivers you have to "assign' the input....may wanna see if that's the case here. also, like tim said, make sure it's not looking for a digital connection.

i'd say it's rare that an input just goes out...but it's certainly possible.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Christopher_P

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted November 21 2003 - 12:17 PM

TV speakers are turned off. Never had to assign the input before when it was hooked up in another room and I used that input for a console. All my other inputs (even my front vid3 work fine and I'm using the front one now since the video1 won't work)