What's new

5.1, or 6.1, or 7.1 incorporating my existing stereo? (1 Viewer)

brad sears

Auditioning
Hi - I am sure this has been answered before but I did not find anything definitive via my searches.

I'm a dish network pvr user and I'd like to take advantage of the digital audio out on my pvr as well as my ps2.

I think the max dish broadcasts in is 5.1 so I'd like to upgrade my audio system to surround for the first time ever.

I have great, if entry level, hifi stereo sound with my linn magic-i and keilidh speakers. The linn amp has some available rca inputs and has banana plugs between preamp and amp.

I'd like to use my existing speakers and amp in my future surround system. Is there a range of products for people like me who still want to use their system? Are they a special class of receiver or do I just get a common one and not use the front right and left amps?

My plan is to get a receiver that outputs line level for front left and front right so I can send that to the linn. Then I'd like to use the receiver's amps for the other channels with the possible exception of the sub woofer which may be powered.

My budget is < $1000 including the speakers. Can I please get some suggestions?

Thanks very much for your time.

Brad Sears

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Brad!

It will certainly work to power your front speakers with the Linn the way you’ve described. Timbre-matching new center and rear speakers to your current ones may be a problem, though.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks