What's new

Daredevil Director's Cut in April (1 Viewer)

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
Over on www.newsarama.com there was a press conference and Avi Arad was there and gave some news on upcoming Marvel projects. One thing he said was a Daredevil Directors Cut would be out in April. He also said

- a director’s cut of the Daredevil DVD will come out in April;

- a writer for Hulk 2 has been hired

- a television series based on the Hulk may happen

- X-Men 3 is slated for a 2006 release, as is Hulk 2, Captain America, Namor, Nick Fury, and Iron Fist

- Elektra, Ghost Rider, and Iron Man are targeted for 2005, with Iron Man being written by Smallville writers Miles Millar and Alfred Gough

Newsarama

Wow, lots of good news. Namely that the Daredevil director's cut is actually coming, and that they're not abandoning Hulk because of it's poor box-office performance. :emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Just saw this on Dark Horizons as well....great news. I was hoping for it by end of this year, but April 2004 is better than never!

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I'm glad I never got the Daredevil DVD when it first came out. I've heard rumors before it was released that a directors cut will be released one day.

I kind of chuckled when I read that Nick Fury was in the works. I remember that David Hasselhoff starred in his own version, called Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. . It was a TV movie made in 1998. I think I lasted all of 10 minutes before I turned it off. :)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Why can't DC have a guy like Avi Arad working for them? I know the answer. It just angers me.

DC movies coming:
Batman (thankfully)
Catwoman (but, not the Catwoman from the comics) :rolleyes

Marvel movies coming:
Spiderman 2
Hulk 2
X-Men 3
Fantastic 4
Elektra
Iron Man
etc, etc, etc.

Hmmm, maybe if we are lucky. We will get a Blue Devil movie from DC soon. :rolleyes

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Great news. I was getting worried since there hadn't been any new news for months.

Good news about the other movies too.

Sorry, DC people :frowning:
I feel for you.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Well at least Marvel is finally getting treated right in the movies these days. Dolph Lundgren' Punisher anyone? ::shudder::

--Ian

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
Glad to see no Daredevil bashing on this thread. I haven't seen X2 yet, but I think Daredevil is the greatest comic book movie out there. I bought the first DVD, but I'm not dissapointed because it's a fabulous DVD. The documentaries on the shoot and the comics are top of the class.

Ken Bentley

Second Unit
i love the daredevil movie... glade i held of on buying the 2 disc set out now.. an will wait for this version.. maybe they will also have both verison on this sorta like they have with the T2 dvd... both version...

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Great news. The sooner the better, I can't wait to see this new cut, since I saw flashes of greatness in the theatrical cut, but it was "mainstreamed," destroying the essence of Daredevil.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Great news. The sooner the better, I can't wait to see this new cut, since I saw flashes of greatness in the theatrical cut, but it was "mainstreamed," destroying the essence of Daredevil.
My understanding was that the director's cut restores mostly scenes that would have made it tough to get a PG-13 rating. The problems I had with the film getting the "essence" of Daredevil, so to speak, had little to do with sex or violence, so I doubt that it will make much difference.

My problems had to do with character stuff like making him basically a show-off (fighting in public out of costume to be flirtatious, shooting a basketball shot to show-up his partner, etc.) and a bad attorney who can't get a conviction or mount an effective cross examination even though he knows exactly when anyone on the stand is lying.

Ah well.

Regards,

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
This is great news. A word of warning to some of you, Mark Steven Johnson has said the new cut is actually missing stuff from the theatrical cut , but it's all scenes that made it more "accessible" to the mainstream moviegoer, so no big loss. He said the directors cut is darker, with different pacing. I (and this is unusual) agreed with Ebert's take, that this was a good film just a few steps away from being great. I tend to think the directors cut will take it to that next level. Still, some purists, as well as completists, might be alarmed....I'm not, though.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
That's awesome that they cut out scenes that made it "accessible". It'd be cool if they fixed up those 3 bad CG devils that MSJ comments on in the commentary. And that shitty tobacco brown background. I'm excited for this now.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Excellent news, I been holding out on buying DD for the DC of it. As for DC movies, it's a shame since IMO DC makes better comics than Marvel(That just my opinion since I read comics) It might interest some people though the guy who directed the short film Batman: Dead End might be directing SHAZAM! A.K.A. Captian Marvel...

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i thought a Wolverine solo movie had already been announced, or was that just idle talk?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Excellent.

I LOVED Daredevil and have put off buying the DVD because of the obvious cuts made for content.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Right now the only thing officially planned is X3 schedule for 2006, but they are planning a Wolverine Solo movie, we shall see though.

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
I really wish they could get some character cameos in all these Marvel movies - like having a glimpse of Affleck as Matt Murdock on TV during an X-Men movie, for instance. I know the rights are all with different companies, but surely they could arrange something...it would really give the Marvel movies the 'one world' feel of the Marvel comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks