Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Infinity IL10: good deal or not

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   vinson

vinson

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 03:52 AM

Hi I am considering getting a pair of Infinity IL10's for $200 total.

Is this a good set to buy for the money. Unfortunately, that is the max that I can spend at this time. What other speakers would you guys consider.

I'm planning to use these speakers as my main speakers until I save enough to buy new mains. At that time these will probably end up being my surrounds.

I have a Denon 3803 receiver that I just got from 6ave.

Thanks

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   GrantM

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 09:03 AM

I got mine from ubid for a good price a while ago, but don't remember what it was. I just checked, and they don't have any of the IL series right now.
That seems like a good price for them. I use them as my surrounds, with the IL40s as my mains, and the 30's as my rears. I would recommend them.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   STLMIKE

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 09:55 AM

Vinson, I use IL10s as mains and 3 surrounds, the IL25 center, and the IL120 sub.

I think I paid like $220 earlier in the year (incl. shipping) from Ubid, per pair of IL10s.

I'm very pleased w/the speakers -- even as mains -- and even more pleased w/the price I paid. Obviously, you'll need a sub, but that goes w/pretty much any bookshelf speaker.

Ubid was selling the Interlude towers at the same time I bought these, but the freight was outrageous, which is why I went w/the bookshelfs all the way around.

Mike

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 11:46 AM

I think its a good deal. I like the Interludes better than the new Alpha series that replaced them. They are very good speakers for the money, IMO.

Btw, nice sub, Mike. The IL120S, again, is better than the Alpha sub that replaced it, IMO. I used one for awhile while I was working on my DIY sub.

DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   DanielGM

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 03:10 PM

The 10's sound ok. I have a pair I use as rears in my 60/36C/10/120S system. They sound fine for rear channel use but I don't think they have much magic for 2 channel listening. I like my polk RT55i's a LOT better, but then again these cost a bit more money, and I have never heard the lower priced Polk RT bookshelves.

$200 is a fair price to pay but there may be better deals around. I believe I got mine for $135 delivered, but 1)they were used and 2) I spend time looking and usually get the best price for anyhting I buy.

Bottom lines:
1)are the 10's the best MSRP $400 bookshelf out there: No
2)do I think you will like the 10's considering what you are probably used to at the moment: Yes
3) do you need a subwoofer with the 10's: definitely
4)Is $200 delivered a good price to pay: Yes
5)Is this post too long: Yes

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   John Robert

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 04:38 PM

Check Harman's web site also, as they have deals on refurb il series...

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   vinson

vinson

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and ordered the IL10's. Now I'm debating what to do with the sub. I'm considering either the

HSU STF-2 $400
SVS PB1 $600
Infinity IL120 around $450 off ebay

of course the less I spend the better. What would some of you do?

Thanks

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   GrantM

GrantM

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 05:11 AM

I haven't read anything about the SVS PB1 specifically, but I am now loyal to SVS. Great subs, great prices, great service. I would recommend anyone looking for a sub to look there first and foremost.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   STLMIKE

STLMIKE

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 05:22 AM

Vinson, I paid like $375 incl. shipping for my IL120 sub. Does the $450 include your freight? (Ubid charged me like $75 just for freight.)

If you're charged similarly, you're topping $500, and I'm not sure what else is out there at that price (i.e. SVS). Compared w/what's out there at places like BB, Circuit City, etc., however it would still probably be a good deal.

Mike

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 06:18 AM

Quote:
....new Alpha series that replaced them

Not so new, as they are being replaced by the 'Beta' series in the new year!

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   David Judah

David Judah

Screenwriter

• 1,479 posts

Posted November 19 2003 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
Not so new

Well, they've been around about a year which is new for most speaker companies. I hadn't heard about the Beta's though. Hopefully, they'll be built more like the IL series. It seemed like the Alphas were more about maximizing profits than performance compared to the IL's. Not that they are bad speakers, it just seemed like they cut some corners. Maybe Infinity realized that and went back to the drawing board to do a better job in that regard.

DJ
Lecktor: Then how did you catch me?
Graham: You had disadvantages.
Lecktor: What disadvantages?
Graham: You're insane.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   JohnnyG

JohnnyG

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted November 20 2003 - 04:13 AM

I thought the IL series *looked* better (too much cheap looking silver on the Alpha), but the performance was really quite similar. The only driver than changed at all was the tweeter. Personally, I prefer the IL tweeter as it seems less bright sounding to me, but that's a matter of personal taste.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   vinson

vinson

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted November 20 2003 - 04:44 AM

Hi guys, I ended up just splurging on the svs PB1. I didn't want to end up always wondering "What if I spent 200 dollars more and got this sub." At least now I'm pretty sure I'll have no regrets.

Now I'm thinking about what I should do about the rest of my speaker set. I mean all I have now are two IL10's and the sub. Since I'm trying to save as much money as I can I was going to continue looking on ebay for speakers.

Should I just stick with looking at Infinity IL's since that is what I have already. Or do you think it's ok to mix and match speakers from different lines or different brands even?

Thanks

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Shneor Nodelman

Shneor Nodelman

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 03 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hello vinson If u r still looking for il10 speakers I have tham for sale on EBay for $125 + free shipping on the US go check them out Thank you shaismartbuy

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Shneor Nodelman

Shneor Nodelman

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 03 2012 - 06:13 PM

If u live in LA u can come pick tham up call me 323-610-8363 thanx shai

Forum Nav Content I Follow