Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

FCC Allows the F* word, rumor or truth?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 01:38 AM

Is this rumor or true?

Just talked to someone and he says that the FCC has allowed the use of F*** for anytime on TV or radio, as long as its not used when relating to sex.

Hard to believe as I can't find any other information other than this e-mail he showed me.

personally I'd rather see complete nudity allowed, than this. In fact I figured that would have been the next thing allowed.

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 02:03 AM

Where do these things get started?

While I don’t know for sure, I am reasonably certain that if this were the case there would be a considerable mention of the policy change in the press—and a predictable outcry.

Why would your friend think that the FCC changed their criteria?

¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 18 2003 - 02:11 AM

Quote:
Just talked to someone and he says that the FCC has allowed the use of F*** for anytime on TV or radio, as long as its not used when relating to sex.

Not exactly. What the FCC did was decline to fine a network or cable channel (I forget which) that ran an awards show without the usual 7-second tape delay. One of the recipients said something like, "This is f***ing awsome." I forget who the guy was, and what awards show it was (something to do with music, I believe), but the incident was reported at the time, although it didn't get a huge amount of press.

When it received complaints and investigated the incident the Commission decided not to impose a fine in this particular case, noting the way the word was used and the spontaneous nature of the outburst. At worst the ruling means that the Commission may decide certain things on a case-by-case basis for live events. It does not represent a blanket change of FCC policy, and does not apply to scripted shows and other debilberate use of the word and its variants. So the cops on NYPD Blue are not going to start referring to "f***ing skel" next season. Posted Image

Regards,

Joe

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 18 2003 - 02:16 AM

By the way, you probably could get away with using the word in a paid political ad for radio or TV, provided the candidate's voice is also heard in the commercial. Years ago when sh*t and its variants were still banned there was a radio ad for Barry Commoner (IIRC) that started with the word "Bullsh*t!" Turns out that FCC broadcast standards rules do not apply to purely political speech in the form of campaign ads that meet the criteria. You can say anything you want in those, and the FCC won't intervene. So presumably you could have an ad today that says, "F*** [insert name of politician you most hate here]" and nobody could lay a glove on you. Of course, it is an open question whether you'd turn off as many voters with your vulgarity as you attracted with your directness.

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 02:22 AM

Bono said "fucking brilliant" on the Golden Globe Awards when he accepted his award for the band U2. You can read the FCC's report about it here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc....-03-3045A1.pdf

Just because it's okay to do it doesn't mean that the networks will dare to do it on a taped show.

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

Screenwriter

• 2,637 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
Especially given the current administration.

Explain.

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 04:44 AM

Quote:
Explain.

Please don't. The poltical reference was an unfortunate lapse, given the HTF rules. Let's not go there.

M.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 06:36 AM

Reading that report, it does sound as if a non-sexual use of fuck is allowed. It's on page three, and I won't retype what it says, but as long as it isn't about sex or "excretory" functions, it isn't within "the scope of the Commision."

So, you could say "fuck" I think. I mentioned this to a friend, and he told me that he was listening to the (OTA) radio, and he heard them broadcast a couple of songs completely unedited with F-bombs in them. I asked him if the F word was used in a sexual context, and he said no. So, I'm going to assume that that's the law now.

That said, I don't care. It's time that TV caught up with what movies have been doing since 1968.

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   SteveA

SteveA

Supporting Actor

• 701 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 06:40 AM

If I understand this correctly, use of the "f" word will not be punished if used as an adjective or adverb ("F**king brilliant"), but using it as a verb ("I f**ked Heather - twice, but with no love, and never again") is strictly forbidden.

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 08:29 AM

SteveA, that's correct.

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 08:34 AM

http://capwiz.com/af...ert4124576.html

this is the link that he got in his e-mail. I'm not sure about the valididty of this sight or anything. The article soudn kind of childish in nature.

"Hollywood is rejoicing" thats kind of a silly statement.

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,681 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 18 2003 - 08:41 AM

So, I'm going to assume that that's the law now.

As will most. They've now set a precedent that will get them sued later on should they try and fine someone for a similar usage.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 08:41 AM

Quote:
I mentioned this to a friend, and he told me that he was listening to the (OTA) radio, and he heard them broadcast a couple of songs completely unedited with F-bombs in them. I asked him if the F word was used in a sexual context, and he said no. So, I'm going to assume that that's the law now.
That's B.S. I can remember hearing Who songs with the F bomb on the radio in the 70s and 80s (and even now on classirc rock stations), the ban on certain words is just not enforced much.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 09:04 AM

I quote from the website that Bill linked to:

Quote:
That means that real soon you will be watching a sit-com on TV, or news, or any drama or movie-ANY PROGRAM-and it is ok!
I say again, just because it's okay to do it doesn't mean that the networks will dare to do it on a taped show. If no one watches the vulgar stuff, the networks will pull it. I quote again:

Quote:
Soon, when you are driving your kids to school you will be listening to a song which makes extensive use of the word.
Not if you're not listening to the radio and have control of the tape or CD player. Or, how about turning it off and talking to your kids?

Quote:
No longer will movies shown on TV have to be edited because of language.
I assume that most movies with foul language contain at least some sexual innuendo and/or violence.

Stop acting like the media controls you. You control the media. If it offends you, turn it off.

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 09:21 AM

i must say i have no idea which 'f' word many of you are talking about. in most cases, you cover up the rest of the word with *'s instead of letters, how are we even supposed to know what you are talking about? Posted Image

anyway, there are plenty of F bombs in radio. and what about the new years eve broadcast of the south park movie on comedy central? if you missed, it, they dropped F bombs just for the sake of dropping them. no censoring of the language whatsoever. the novelty wore off very quickly, as did south park...but how did cc get away with it? did they plan for a surge in viewers and advertising to offset the fines? or did they have no fines against them at all? it was on pretty late, and honestly, they are just words, you hear worse language in middle school. (probably from watching those movies)
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 10:05 AM

The FCC has approved the use of the "f-word" on any TV show or radio program? From Snopes

Chris

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   Darren Davis

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator

• 248 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 10:41 AM

Christ, I asked a question about the "shit" episode of South Park on this very forum and was told that the FCC doesn't regulate Comedy Central because it's a cable channel. I guess the channel can technically say what it wants. Not sure, though. Anyone out there own a TV station? Posted Image

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   MikeDeVincenzo

MikeDeVincenzo

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 10:46 AM

No worries, people.

The FCC knows what's good for us. And we can't handle the f-word.

To paraphrase Cartman, "It will warp our fragile little minds"

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
I guess the channel can technically say what it wants. Not sure, though. Anyone out there own a TV station?

I don't own a TV station Posted Image , but I understand that the rules are different for over the air (picked up by anyone with a tuner) versus cable (subscription required).

Matt
"Do not use to unclog a disposal drain." - On a box of Dynamite (from Joseph Howard)

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   John_Berger

John_Berger

Screenwriter

• 2,489 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 10:57 AM

Quote:
I guess the channel can technically say what it wants.
As I understand it, the FCC only regulates what is broadcast over the airwaves that anyone can pick up using the most basic equipment because those signal frequencies are deemed to be "owned" by the public. Cable and satellite do not operate on those open frequencies and require special equipment to decode the signal above and beond a TV with an aerial.

Comedy Central is not a TV station that you can receive over the air via UHF or VHF "public" frequencies. They are strictly cable and satellite. This is why cable and satellite channels can effectively show whatever they want whenever they want. Radio and local TV channels, however, are open and under FCC regulation. (I suppose that they're ALL subject to regulation, but open-air stations - not cable or satellite - are subject to content censorship as I understand the regulations.)

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow