What's new

The recent events motivated me to purchase The Siege - DTS (1 Viewer)

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
When I saw this movie years ago, I found it mediocre at best. After the recent events, I haven't been able to stop thinking about similarities with this movie. Best Buy had the DTS version for $14.99 so I picked it up. Was anyone else reminded of this movie?

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that there are similarities but I don't think that Hollywood could ever match the horror of watching 2 passenger jets crash into a fully occupied building. No special effect in the world could make me feel as sick as I did on Tuesday watching the scenes of the disaster on TV. I own this DVD but it has nothing to do with yesterday's events but because IMHO, it's a spectacular movie. For the $14.99 that Best Buy is charging on this DTS release, you can't beat it.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
The events have had exactly the opposite effect on me. I had the disc on order with my regular supplier, but was waiting to get a few more titles in the basket before actually buying it. After yesterday, I cancelled it. I've seen the film before, but it's going to be pretty meaningless after watching all the stuff over the past two days.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
I had a similar experience as Rob, but not with a movie. I have been reading BLACK HAWK DOWN, which had just been blowing me away with the amount of carnage. Yesterday I picked it up and could only read a chapter or so, for some reason it just seemed so minor compared with events yesterday... which really bothered me! I hate that I compared the events, they are both horrific in their own rite. I think I will be waiting a while to resume my reading.
------------------
sig.jpg

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
Marc- yes I was reminded by this movie. I saw this movie at the theater and thought it was decent, not great. Maybe I should give it another watch just out of curiosity.

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
The thing that scares me...in this movie, there was a racist sentiment towards Arabs. To protect against further terrorism, they put Arabs in concentration-like camps. I have heard some of my co-workers express some racist sentiments toward Arabs. I fear a risk of retaliation against the innocent because of race.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The thing that scares me...in this movie, there was a racist sentiment towards Arabs. To protect against further terrorism, they put Arabs in concentration-like camps.
Just like Japanese-Americans during World War II. Local mosques here have been receiving death threat calls. Some scary stuff.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Guy Martin

Second Unit
I also posted this in the thread discussing this film in movies, but I found this particularly neaderthal comment posted at the IMDB page for The Siege this morning:
Mira8
Arlington, VA
Date: 12 September 2001
Summary: how ironic
Prescient? Yeah, I think so. Anyone think internment camps are a bad idea now? The attack in this movie was far LESS than that in real life. The price of freedom is eternal vigilence, both outside AND especially within our borders.
The US needs to start rounding up all Arabs, NOW.

When my fellow people start spreading racist, barbaric garbage like this I feel ashamed to be an American.
- Guy

David Prior

Insider
Please, no one forget that The Seige took a very powerful moral stand AGAINST knee-jerk racism and the creation of internment camps. The film dared to treat a complex, difficult, emotional subject with intelligence and moral insight. Maybe that's why it was not a box office success.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Not only did the recent events get me thinking about The Siege but also about the Die Hard trilogy.
Examine the Die Hard trilogy:
Die Hard - 40 story skyscraper taken over by terrorists. Hostages trapped in the skyscrapre. Terrorists then proceed to blow up the skyscraper.
Die Hard 2(Die Harder) - Airport taken over by terrorists. Hostages trapped in planes and in the airport. Terrorists then proceed to blow up portions of the airport and an commerical airplane.
Die Hard With A Vengeance - New York has a bomb go off in a populated area. Then a bomb threat is called in to some of the major areas. Another bomb goes off near Wall Street.
Combine the three elements and you have a pretty scary coincidence.
However, this incident also reminded me of some of the events in Daylight and Volcano.
People coming together to save other people. Irregardless of personal feelings and of safety.
BUT...
Nothing compares to real life. You can watch a movie, turn it off and know that nothing outside your door has changed. With real life though, the world outside has changed.
And we, as Americans, must realize that this change will make us stronger. This change will not destroy our spirit, it only strengthens it. The United Staes of America has and will continue to have brave soldiers fighting to keep it.
The revolutionists fought for our freedom. Now we must fight to honor their sacrifices.
------------------
[Edited last by rutger_s on September 13, 2001 at 03:06 AM]

AdrianOC

Stunt Coordinator
Having had Volcano mentioned in a previous post, I have to say that I thought of the scene at the end of the film where the people of all races and religions looked the same covered in the ash - there were no differences, just people helping each other.
The aftermath of the WTC attack looked exactly the same and it should inspire hope for us all.
------------------
"Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)
My DVD List

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
"And we, as Americans, must realize that this change will make us stronger. This change will not destroy our spirit, it only strengthens it. The United Staes of America has and will continue to have brave soldiers fighting to keep it."
Let's not forget that some Americans have financially supported the IRA for years, particularly in New York. In the UK, we've been living with the consequences of this support for years.
Amd why such a catastrophe would make anyone want to watch a film dealing with the same subject is beyond me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WARNING

If this thread continues with discussion
of politics, I will close this thread and
remove any member contributing to that discussion.
How many times do we have to ask you folks not
to talk politics and religion on this board?
Thank You
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I rewatched the Siege last night. What astounded me is that the terrorist acts thought up by Hollywood for this movie (usually always over dramatized), are nowhere near the extent of the recent events. I believe the movie is very relevant. My rating of this movie and its treatment of the topic has risen greatly.

Alex Morrow

Stunt Coordinator
Well after all this discussion I decided to go out and buy it today at work. I figured for only $14.99 it's worth it. Plus while I was there they had Blow for only $17.99 so I grabbed that too. Plus a copy of You've Got Mail, but that was just so chicks would dig my collection. I should watch the Seige tonight and see if it holds up for a second viewing.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
My local Best Buy had TONS of these for sale tonight...a display on an entire shelf in fact...I know this film is eerily realistic now, but this felt like taking advantage of a horrible incident to make a display of it.
------------------
card11.jpg

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Well put, Guy. I have some Persian friends here in LA and have been worried about them and let them know my concerns.
I saw the movie, frankly, because of the Episode 1 trailer in front of it at the Village in Westwood and was surprised how good it was-- up until Bruce Willis' very on-the-nose character appeared. But the sequences with the interment camps were chilling and I pray that nothing like that happens in my lifetime.

Craig Crane

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thing that scares me...in this movie, there was a racist sentiment towards Arabs.
True Lies
The Seige
The Peacemaker
All very unwatchable at the moment.
------------------
Link Removed

Pierre Gagne

Agent
Marc,
I feel exactly the same way you do. I also rewatched THE SIEGE on Wenesday night and thought of how close this movie was to the current events. Keeping in mind this is a hollywood movie, one can't deny that there are elements in this movie that might explain how terrorists from Palestine work. This movie has definitely more impact on me then it did when I first saw it.
Pierre

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks