What's new

Star Trek: Voyager specs and art (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...icle/3638.html

Though it was first posted on startrek.com I first heard about it from TVShowsOnDVD.com. So, that's where the credit goes as far as I'm concerned. :)

Here's the art:

I know this thread will turn into a bash fest,so I'll just say I kind of like the art. It looks like they're going with the DS9-style boxes (much better than the TNG boxes), and I kind of like how colorful they are.

Here's the text from the above link:

---
Star Trek: Voyager on DVD in 2004

Now that you've stocked up on Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine DVDs, start clearing another shelf for the next Trek series. Star Trek: Voyager arrives on DVD starting in February 2004, courtesy of Paramount Home Entertainment.

February 24 will see the release of Season One in its entirety in a five-disc collector's box set. The set includes all 15 episodes from the first season, exclusive featurettes and bonus material. A new season of Voyager will be available every other month.

The contents of the set are as follows:

Disc 1: "Caretaker," "Parallax," "Time and Again"

Disc 2: "Phage," "The Cloud, "Eye of the Needle," "Ex Post Facto"

Disc 3: "Emanations," "Prime Factors," "State of Flux," "Heroes and Demons"

Disc 4: "Cathexis," "Faces," "Jetrel," "Learning Curve"

Disc 5: Special Features

* "Braving The Unknown: Season One": Includes new interviews with Executive Producers Rick Berman, Michael Piller and Jeri Taylor discussing how they created the series. The trio reveals the challenges of creating fresh, new characters, a new premise and the risks of sending the crew into unfamiliar Trek territory.

* "Voyager Time Capsule: Kathryn Janeway": A new, exclusive interview with Kate Mulgrew talking about how she landed the role of Janeway, the challenges of playing a female captain and her Broadway play on Katharine Hepburn, "Tea At Five." Also includes archival interviews with the actress and rare behind-the-scenes footage.

* "The First Captain: Genevieve Bujold": Reveals rare footage and outtakes of Ms. Bujold as Captain Janeway, with commentary by Executive Producer Rick Berman.

* "Cast Reflections: Season One": Voyager's principal cast members discuss their reactions to joining the Trek franchise, getting fan mail, and auditioning. Also featured: Armin Shimerman discussing his role as Quark in the pilot episode.

* "On Location With the Kazon": Supervising Producer David Livingston guides viewers on an exclusive tour of the desert locale used for the Kazon Village in the pilot episode. Includes interviews with Director Rick Kolbe and behind-the-scenes footage of the cast.

* "Red Alert: Visual Effects Season One": Dan Curry and the Visual Effects crew give a blow-by-blow of some spectacular visual effects created for Season One. Highlights include: behind-the-scenes footage of exploding space station, utilizing fire elements in crashing Chakotay's ship and secrets of shooting the Voyager ship model.

* "Launching Voyager On The Web": Veteran Web site designer and producer Marc Wade explains how, in the early days of the internet, an interactive Voyager Web site was created to help launch the series. Included is rare footage of Kate Mulgrew and Robert Picardo playing their roles for the Web-based trivia game, plus an overview of Star Trek's history on the Web.

* "Real Science With Andre Bormanis": Science Consultant and writer Bormanis explores how the writers strive for authenticity by incorporating real space phenomena and scientific theories. For Season One, Andre discusses how Hubble photos helped create "the Badlands," voyaging through wormholes, and the possibilities of time travel.

* "Lost Transmissions From The Delta Quadrant": Hidden in the Voyager menu, viewers who search and click with their DVD remote can find special interview clips with Kate Mulgrew, Michael Piller, Brannon Braga and guest star Vaughn Armstrong (from "Eye of the Needle").

The Season One DVDs are presented in full screen with newly remixed Dolby Digital English 5.1 tracks and English Dolby Surround. The set is expected to be priced at under $100. Total running time for all five discs is over 728 minutes. The discs are closed-captioned for the hearing impaired.
---

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, here starts the bashing!

No, not really. But I never really liked Voyager for some reason, but I can't spesify why. I saw the first couple seasons when they showed it here in Finland and although it was technically very well done the characters and storylines just didn't hit me like TNG did. One reason could be that none of the Trek series has ever done well before it's 3rd or 4th season so maybe Voyager got better than it was at the beginning. I just couldn't get the feeling there really were two different kinds of people on Voyager, Starfleet and Maquis. Also the storylines were frustratingly repeating - alternate realities, holodeck episodes etc.

Actually I didn't like DS9 either when I saw the first couple seasons of it around the same time (the tv channels here in Finland have had a truly nerving habit to start a Trek series, show it maybe for the first three seasons and then take it out of air - they've done it with TNG, DS9 and Voyager already) but now as I'm watching it from DVD it's very good and getting even better.

So maybe I shouldn't swore I won't be buing Voyager sets because that's exactly what I said about DS9 only six months ago. But most likely I'm not buying them. But it's great that they are releasing the sets to be available to them who really want them.

Btw, those boxes are "quite" colorful... Hmn...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Here's where I'm at with Voyager: when I watched the show in syndication, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I had never, at that point, watched DS9. Now that I've seen five and a half seasons of that show, I'm wondering how I'll respond to Voyager. The comparison won't be favorable, but it'll be interesting to see if I can still enjoy it.

danak

Second Unit
It will be very interesting to see the Bujold footage.

I liked Voyager from the first episode. For me, it was much warmer than TNG; TNG felt too distant and unemotional in its first season or two. However, the show never took full advantage of its premise, especially with the Maquis. The revolving door of producers didn't help matters nor did the frequent flips with the character of Janeway (she's Starfleet! She's rebellious! She's Starfleet!)

I also couldn't stand that Seven of Nine got so many stories after she was introduced, to the point of almost taking over the show. The actress was dating producer Brannon Braga at the time (or some time after she joined the show), so it certainly looked like favortism. It was fortunate that Jeri Ryan could act; otherwise, it would have been a real waste.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I'm all over those. No, Voyager wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it.

...Now, hurry up and bring on the TOS sets :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
That color scheme would've been cool for TOS... doesn't really seem to fit with Voyager though.

I'll probably pass on this set. I have them all on VCD, and would get DS9 before I get these (and I haven't gotten those yet). My wallet is still in pain from my TNG splurge.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I'll probably pass on this set. I have them all on VCD, and would get DS9 before I get these (and I haven't gotten those yet). My wallet is still in pain from my TNG splurge.
I know what you mean. Being a Star Trek fan can be expensive! But hey, at least the material is available. :) Some people may never get some of their favorite shows on DVD. At least Paramount has put/is putting all this stuff out.

paul_austin

Second Unit
Those boxes are ugly, I'm floored that they are showing the Genevieve Bujold footage....thats amazing. I know people love to bash it but I liked voyager....it had an edge that tng lacked.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot to mention that if Voyager as a Trek show wasn't what I expected it to be, it had one of my favorite Q episodes, "Deathwish". It was apparently the last watchable Q episode?

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am looking forward to seeing Bujold footage.

Also, Ric better get working on new covers. ;)

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I'm not really a fan, but my wife is, so we'll probably be picking these up. I'm not really a fan of the boxes, though. They look very plain. Oh well.

I'm also awaiting the announcement of TOS in season sets. It only ran for 3 seasons, right?

Martyn S

Auditioning
What about widescreen? Why it's in full frame?
Voyager was only ever filmed in Full Screen, the only Star Trek on tv to be filmed in Widescreen is Enterprise.

Personally I won't be getting these as I never really warmed to Voyager - The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine were so much better.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I am going to buy these, even though I never quite fell in love with Voyager the way I did with DS9 or TNG.

I think the problem was that although those two shows started slow, they eventually hit a stride. Voyager never quite hit the same stride.

Rather they seemed to have great episodes mixed with the mediocre throughout their run. I think the show is worth buying for those very good episodes that I'd like to watch again. Plus the Bujold footage makes it a must-buy.

I think one of the reasons Voyager always seemed off to me is that it was up against the greatness of DS9. I wa salso bitter I think because Voyager seemed to get more media attention than DS( (maybe because Voyager was on UPN vs. DS9 being syndicated?) Even after my beloved DS9 ended, I think I was still having a hard time viewing Voyager as my sole Trek fix.

Of course, since Enterprise has started, I now think "Come back, Voyager, all is forgiven!" I seem to watch Enterprise out of obligation as a Trek fan. I am absolutely sure that I will never purchase Enterprise DVDs as I can't recall any episodes that I wish to watch again.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

What is this exactly?

Also, I'm curious to see how much these retail for. Not only since the first season is only 5 discs, but also because of it's lower popularity.

David M.

Agent
I enjoyed Voyager despite it's problems. I'll probably pick up the sets. I just hope the price will reflect the number of discs in the season one package. I would hate to pay $120 Canadian for only five discs instead of the usual seven.

Are those partial slip cases on each set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.