Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My HT....NOT to happen?!?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#21 of 30 OFFLINE   Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted December 04 2003 - 04:10 PM

Good Luck!!

Take lots of pictures and share your progress with us!

#22 of 30 OFFLINE   Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 13 2003 - 04:21 PM

Quick Update...

We have water issues! Come spring time, we will be installing a french drain along the perimeter of the basement...Until then, all work on HT has ceased Posted Image

Ramon

#23 of 30 OFFLINE   Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor

• 889 posts

Posted December 13 2003 - 04:25 PM

Ramon,
That Sucks!! But in the long run you'll be much better off having done the job right. don't foget to add a sump to the basement to get rid of any of the water that your drain can't keep away from the house.

#24 of 30 OFFLINE   Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 14 2003 - 04:44 AM

I will! Thanks for the advice Frank.

-Ramon

#25 of 30 OFFLINE   Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 16 2003 - 10:51 AM

Update part deux.

French drain wil sump pump will be installed next week. Ht still aways off due to finishing the wife's part of the house(anything non HT).

Later guys,
Ramon

#26 of 30 OFFLINE   ChristW

ChristW

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 05:18 AM

Hey, I can relate to the water problem in the basement! I started framing my basement last May. Then in June, I noticed some water seeping in from two areas in the basement. D'oh! I was mad, because I really wanted to finish by December. Called the builder, they came out and it seems like they fixed the problem (I know they fixed one of the areas, not 100% sure about the 2nd area, but am relatively confident).

Now I'm trying to get an HVAC guy out (see another thread). It's frustrating, but I think it'll all be worth it when it's done. Posted Image

CW

#27 of 30 OFFLINE   Sean_P_O'Brien

Sean_P_O'Brien

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 09:10 AM

As an architect, I'll second, third, etc. the notion to consult with your local building inspector to get his/her interpretation overall. Quite often local municipalities have their own set of governing rules that supersede the national codes.

Having said this - I would bet you could still proceed with the basement renovation. Essentially you will be finishing off your storage area in the basement. As far as the inspector cares, the only life-safety issues will be the proper wiring/plumbing issues if applicable to your nicely finished storage area. Since it is a nicely finished storage area, there will be no occupants subject to any egress requirements (and if your nicely finished storage area happens to be a walk-out area to grade level) that issue would not even come into play.

If you're up front with the inspector about your nicely finished storage area, he/she will appreciate your honesty, and even take you up on a future offer to share a beer and a movie, when you store your future furniture, speakers and widescreen television in the nicely finished storage area.

Sean

#28 of 30 OFFLINE   Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 01:52 PM

Sean,

You just made my day. That sounds like a plan. Thanks!

Ramon

#29 of 30 OFFLINE   Sean_P_O'Brien

Sean_P_O'Brien

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted December 17 2003 - 02:38 PM

Happy to help, Ramon. Good luck with the HT (storage) room. Posted Image
Sean

#30 of 30 OFFLINE   Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 09:44 AM

Hey,

I was able to get the French drain installed between yesterday and today. They did a great job and now I can go on m y cruise tomorrow with peace of mind knowing that my basement will be dry. Posted Image

Later fellas,
Ramon