What's new

My HT....NOT to happen?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys,

I was overlooking the dimensions of the basement that I plan to convert to a HT/Family Room. The wall distance isn't a problem. It's the height. The bottom of the exposed joists to the basement floor is about 7 feet. Aren't there code restrictions that say you have to have at least ceilings over 7 feet in order to have a room in the basement? Please tell me I'm wrong!

Thanks,
Ramon

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Aren't there code restrictions that say you have to have at least ceilings over 7 feet in order to have a room in the basement? Please tell me I'm wrong!
Check with your local building inspector. But, yes most places require a 7' ceiling in "living areas". For example, bathrooms don't count as living areas.. so you could go lower in a bathroom. Check to see what exactly qualifies as a living area.

Also, check to see if a drop ceiling is bound by the same restrictions.

Personally, I had the same problem.. due to some ductwork and a support beam. I put in a drop ceiling and it came in at around 6'8". It seems a little low when you first walk in... but, once you sit down, it doesn't seem low at all. Of course, mine wasn't inspected. :b

MikeWh

Second Unit
This is from my local building code. You really need to know what your own code is though.

R305.1 Minimum height.
Habitable rooms, hallways, corridors, bathrooms, toilet rooms, laundry rooms and basements shall have a ceiling height of not less than 7 feet (2134 mm). The required height shall be measured from the finish floor to the lowest projection from the ceiling.

Exceptions:

1. Beams and girders spaced not less than 4 feet (1219 mm) on center may project not more than 6 inches (152 mm) below the required ceiling height.

2. Ceilings in basements without habitable spaces may project to within 6 feet, 8 inches (2032 mm) of the finish floor; and beams, girders, ducts or other obstructions may project to within 6 feet, 4 inches (1931 mm) of the finished floor.

3. Not more than 50 percent of the required floor area of a room or space is permitted to have a sloped ceiling less than 7 feet (2134 mm) in height with no portion of the required floor area less than 5 feet (1524 mm) in height.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Ramon,

Don't give here in Massachusettes I am pretty sure that a basement is not considered living area.For example if I finish off my basement and go to sell it, I can't sell my house as a 9 room house I have to sell it as an 8 room house with a finished basement.

Like Dave said check your local codes.

Let us know what happens I'd for one would be intrested to see what they say.

Signed
Ed

MikeWh

Second Unit
I am pretty sure that a basement is not considered living area. For example if I finish off my basement and go to sell it...
The code I quoted previously for my area distinguishes between an unfinished and a finished basement with regards to "habitability." A home theater in a basement would be considered habitable space, as long as it meets the 7' minimum height and have appropriate glazing & lighting, egress, and heating/AC for habitable spaces.

NC Building code defines HABITABLE SPACE as:
"A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces."

and LIVING SPACE as:
"Space within a dwelling unit utilized for living, sleeping, eating, cooking, bathing, washing and sanitation purposes."

The resale issue is handled differently (in my area at least) than how the space is defined by the Code. The most important issue is that the area of any "heated area" can be counted towards the total square footage of the house (aka, "the heated square feet"), as long as it meets the ceiling height requirements and heating/AC requirements. People normally buy homes based on total heated square feet, rather than the number of rooms, because of the problems with counting certain living spaces (like bonus rooms, sunrooms, and finished basements/attics).

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Just curious why it this an issue? Even if building code requires a 7 foot ceiling and you have a 6 foot basement would you let that keep you from using it a theater?

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Mike,

As I stated I am not sure about the code thing.

I was told anything below ground level is consider a basement. Even if it has a finished room down there with heat, it is not considered living space. If it has a walk out basement then it could be considered living space. If I remember correctly it had to do with a fire escape exit(door)
Besides if we went by the code that you refer to half the people in my state would have to stop using their basements.

Just my 2 cents
Ed

MikeWh

Second Unit
Carl,

Even if building code requires a 7 foot ceiling and you have a 6 foot basement would you let that keep you from using it a theater?
There are a couple of issues--
If Ramon is going to get a permit for his work (wink wink), then it is an issue. The inspector will deny him the permit to do the construction, if it's against code. Additionally, code violations become problems when you attempt to sell your home or (potentially) if you attempt to file an insurance claim.

So, if you decide you don't need a permit or you don't care about the resale value of your property or you're willing to accept the full replacement value of your own home, then the residential building code isn't an issue.... :wink:

MikeWh

Second Unit
Ed,

If I remember correctly it had to do with a fire escape exit(door)
You are correct. As I stated, "habitable space" requires certain code considerations, including egress (i.e, a fire exit... door or window, as long as it meets code). :wink:

One note-- I lived in Michigan for 12 years and, like your area, most of the homes did not have egress from the basements. This is because those houses were built before the codes required it.

MikeWh

Second Unit
So I don't HAVE to get a permit for my work?
Ummm.... (cough)... it depends on your code requirements.

Several years back, the code in my area basically said if your work was under $5000, and you weren't messing with the HVAC, plumbing, or electrical, then you didn't need a permit. Our code has changed since then though. Your mileage may vary.

Some people just feign ignorance. (doh!) :D

JustinS

Agent
OK, this also concerns me as I am finishing my basement. An overwhelming majority of the basement has a distance from floor to joists of over 7 feet. However, there are two ducts and the center support beam that run right down the middle of the basement that are less than 7 feet. I'd say the total width of the two ducts and the central beam (cross joist, whatever) constitute less than 15% of the total ceiling space in the entire basement.

Assuming the codes already posted in this thread and assuming that I want to have the work inspected, do you think this would be a problem?

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
Well I get the house on the 1st of Dec. I will go in there and take Precise measurements and then go to the code enforcement office and find out. More to come later.

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
ok here's the deal...the bottom of the joists are at 7'. My father in law who is going to help me with this told me to do what a lot of people that he knows are doing. He said to rent a airless sprayer and spray all the joists and pipe work flat black. he said that everything will blend in and that I won't even notice the fact that there is no ceiling. At first I was like "What the fell are you smoking?" but then it kinda made sense. What do you guys think?

Thanks again!
Ramon

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
You should still check your building codes.

If you can build in the basement..... I would leave the beams exposed seeing as they meet the code requirement that most of the other people mentioned was 7 feet from floor to lowest ceiling point.

Signed
ED

Robt_Moore

Stunt Coordinator
After working in a building materials store in New Jersey, I found out code interpretation can and will vary from municipality to municipality. For example, one township requires that all switchplate cover SCREWS be made from nylon or some other non-conducting material. When ever a customer would ask us for advise, we had no idea what to tell them except:

Call the inspector's office and ask what they want.

Also, keep in mind that if you decide to do work on your house without permits and inspections, your insurance company may refuse to pay ANY claims on your homeowners insurance, if the building codes department finds out about the work, they will want to inspect and make you do the work correctly, and possibly fine you, and if and when you go to sell the house, you will probably be made to prove the work is done to code or be made to make it so.

So, Call the inspector's office and ask what they want. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run.

Ramon O. Valera

Stunt Coordinator
Well I finally have the closing for my house tomorrow. First I have to paint a few rooms for the wife and fix a few things here and there...then come the first week of January, the HT will commence!

Wish me luck!!!
Ramon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks