What's new

Differences in the version of Prince of Persia? (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
So, I'm the biggest POP fan there is. I've heard how stunning the game looks, and I'd like to play it in all of its glory. I have a PS2 and I'm greatly considering buying an XBOX (few games I want to get anyway) to get the game, since I've been told it looks worlds better. Any ideas? I've heard the audio for the gamecube version is pretty horrid. And I could tell a difference in the versions of Soul Caliber from the PS2 to XBOX, so I'm curious if I could see a difference in POP. Anyone have any info?

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
The 5.1 sound in this game has to be heard to be believed on the Xbox. I was playing last night with the volume high, and was wishing that every game I had sounded as good as this one. The game does look smoother than it does on the PS2, but looks great on both systems.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
XBox is supposed to have a slight edge on PS2 for graphics.

And I've read a couple complaints about the controls for the GC version.

I'm a big PoP fan, and was impatient waiting for the XBox version, so I picked up the PS2 version.
Gameplay-wise, the graphics look great for PS2. But the biggest stumbling point is the audio. The voices are all muffled, including the main character. The best example is when you get on a save point, save, and return to the game. The prince usually says "Ok, I'll continue my story from here next time" but it's muffled together and sounds grainy. It just sounds like it hasn't been cleaned up like it should have been. Also, forget about hearing / understanding what a character is saying during a fight scene. Their voices are too low. Same goes for cutscene vocals. And this is a universal PS2 problem, not just my setup. But playing with the Music / Sound Effect levels will fix this pretty well.

Another reason to pickup the XBox version is for the extras.

The Xbox version comes with Prince of Persia 1 (Original PC version), Prince of Persia 2, A 3D "Remake" of Level 1 from Prince of Persia (Original Prince of Persia level 1 remade with the Sands of Time Engine), and a "Making of" featurette. Prince of Persia 2 is exclusive to the XBox version. All have to be unlocked in the game (except the featurette).

The PS2 version comes with Prince of Persia 1 as an unlockable (the original PC version). Its also supposed to have the same 3D remake level, but last I checked no one had found it yet (but that was a couple days ago, it could be out now).

The Cube version has Prince of Persia 1, the 3D level, and the Making of featurette, if memory serves.

Personally, once I finish the PS2 version and have some extra $$ I'm gonna trade in the PS2 version for the XBox version - XBox just has too much going for it. Hopefully the XBox version doesn't have the same audio problems as the PS2 version.

EDIT: The buzz on gamefaqs is that people who emailed Ubisoft asking about the bonus remade 3D level have gotten a response saying the PS2's only bonus feature is Prince of Persia 1. No 3D remake on the disc.

JQ

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The Xbox version is the best out there. The shadowing/lighting effects have been vastly improved over the PS2 and Cube iterations. The graphics and sound are both superior on the 'Box.

The two versions that are probably most similar to each other are PS2 and Cube. Since the PS2 reportedly also has poor quality sound (as reported for the Cube version too), perhaps the Cube will at least supply smoother graphics and more stable framerate.

Like Beyond Good and Evil, the Gamecube version of PoP is not slated for release until well after the PS2 version, so it may take away before we get a comprehensive head-to-head matchup.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
The Xbox version comes with Prince of Persia 1 (Original PC version), Prince of Persia 2, A 3D "Remake" of Level 1 from Prince of Persia (Original Prince of Persia level 1 remade with the Sands of Time Engine), and a "Making of" featurette. Prince of Persia 2 is exclusive to the XBox version. All have to be unlocked in the game (except the featurette).
The boys at Ubisoft Montreal sure treat Xbox fans well! :emoji_thumbsup:

Morgan, the Xbox version is definitely out now. I saw it last week.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
The much anticipated Head to Head comparison on IGN:

Features: Xbox has the most features, with both original PoPs, making of featurette, and 3D level. PS2 has the least, with just the First PoP and the 3D level. Cube lies in the middle, with all the features of PS2 plus the featurette. Don't know why PS2 is missing that.

Sound: Xbox wins by a large margin. Gamecube is the worst sounding of the three, with compressed voices. PS2 isn't much better than cube, though. Box wins again.

Graphics: This one surprised me. IGN gave the edge to Gamecube. The graphics are brighter, more detailed. Everyone expected the 'Box to win this one because of shadow/lighting. But it appears to have only affected light source blooming around objects. In the screenshot comparisons, the Cube version looks the sharpest and the brightest. Go figure.

Controls: pretty much all even, depending on your preference.

Obviously, the Box got first place, with the Cube in second, and the PS2 last. I don't have Xbox, so I'm going with Cube.

~j

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds good. I'll go with Cube as well and hope the sound isn't all *that* bad...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I got the X-Box version today. Hot damn, is this one fine game. Definitely the kind of game that shows how the medium can be very artistic. The style is very fluid and consistent. Besides that, it's really fun.

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
On ign the review i read said the xbox had better lighting and more polygons and that it looked better...

Damien

Supporting Actor
I thought I read somewhere in an IGN head to head that the cube version was the sharpest.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
There are about 4 comparison shots on IGN that reveal the differences between the three consoles. I have to say, in every single one, the Gamecube looks sharper, the textures more detailed and less muddy. I'm surprised at that, since I expected the Xbox shots to blow Cube out of the water. But, Cube looks great.

Incidently, the cube version is also the only one that hasn't yet shipped to any of the gamestores in my area.

:frowning:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The GameCube is able to store more textures in the memory and display them than the X-Box (I think). I remember this being one of the GC's best aspects when it came out against the X-Box.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The GameCube is able to store more textures in the memory and display them than the X-Box (I think).
The Xbox has 64MB. How many MB does the GameCube have?

And yes, I know the GC has 'hardware texture compression'. It doesn't gain you as much as you think.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Any of you guys that have even a radio shack quality home theater should REALLY consider buying the Xbox version over the 'Cube.

My neighbor bought a 'Cube, against my recommendations ;), and he recently bought POP. Of course I did a comparison, due to this particular thread, against my Xbox version.

Graphically, it was too close for me to call. Not easy when you're talking about 2 different tv's. Mine is a 60" Proscan RPTV, his is a 35 Sony Trinitron. His may have looked a bit better...pretty close.

But, the reason I'm posting this is the sound. Absolutely night and day. The Xbox has absolutely clear dialogue, even during battles and, of course, the gorgeous soundtrack oozes from the 5.1 setup beautifully.

I realize that sound setup can vary greatly as well but our sound systems are alot closer to being "in the ballpark" with each others than our tv's.

If you have a 'Cube and a 'Box...go wit da 'Box on this title. My opinion, of course.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Derrik, regarding the Xbox/Cube differences, I agree. If you own both consoles, you're better off going with the box. (I don't have an Xbox, so I went with the Cube).

The muffled audio is, unfortunately, a reality. :frowning: The strange thing is, some of the dialogue is crystal clear, while other dialogue sounds literally like one of those Super Nintendo voice samples back in the day. I also have a really nice Boston Acoustics center speaker, so every pop/hiss stands out. Remember, some of the dialogue and music is crystal clear, almost like someone has removed a pillow from the speaker briefly.

Graphically: I haven't played any version other than the cube, and don't have progressive scan, so I'm not going to be very helpful. The game looks good... a little hazy, but that holds true for all 3 versions. The frame rate is great, a stable 30 fps. And that's really what I was looking for, a more stable framerate than PS2.

And what can I say about the game itself that hasn't been said already? Not much. Fantastic. Creepy. Well presented. The combat is a lot like Soul Reaver (complete with finishing move with 'only weapon' that can bring the baddies down), only with more acrobatics, vaulting, flipping, and the like.

The jumping, spinning, hanging, climbing, is all very solid, more solid in fact, than I ever thought it would be. Who ever thought that Ubi-Soft's re-make of this old classic 2D adventure would end up out-Matrixing 'Enter the Matrix?'

JamesH

Supporting Actor
I thought this game out-Icoed 'Ico'. It looks like it may not end up being the longest game ever, but it's great so far. I haven't checked out the XBL functionality yet....it would be cool to run time trials on the levels against someone's ghost.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I haven't checked out the XBL functionality yet
There is none. The game is Live Aware meaning others can see that you are playing Prince of Persia while connected to Live. That is the only live functionality the game has. (which makes it a little silly to have the Live banner splashed across the cover.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks