-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Screen Size For My Room?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 Greg L

Greg L

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 01:36 PM

Well - this is my first post in these forums. I've been searching and reading for a couple of weeks and I finally took the plunge and registered today. I have a long background in audio and have moved into home theater in the last couple of years.

I currently have a 36" JVC tube in my home theater room. The room is 12.5' x 16 feet and the tv is along the 16' wall. I am considering either the Toshiba 51H83 or the 57H83. Thus the question - which size would be better for my room with the focus being on better picture quality and not size. If the 51" would look better than I would rather have it than the 57" that looks worse however if the 57" would look okay then I'd go the $$$ for it.

The screen will be approximately 8.5 feet from the primary viewing area. The sources will be satellite boxes and dvd for the most part with a vcr also connected. The room is well lit but most often lit by two tab table lamps sitting on end tables right beside the primary viewing area (the couch opposite the tv).

I'm leaning toward the 51" now as I fear to do the 57" justice I'd need to be sitting further back in the room (which I can't do) in order to make the screen look good.

BTW - surround it already taken care of by Bryston, PSB, and Monster Audio. The screen is the last part and I'll be good to go.

TIA for the input on this one. I can't wait to get to the point where I can start giving back to this forum. In the mean time if you've got audiophile or dss questions I can help you out lol!

#2 of 4 Bob Maged

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 01:05 AM

As you already know, a low resolution source like satellite or VHS will look better on a smaller screen. Rather than replacing your 36" direct view with an RPTV I would strongly urge you to look into front projection. For hundreds of dollars less than the cost of that 57" RPTV you can buy an entry level FP (InFocus X1, Sanyo Z1, Panasonic PT-L300U) and pull-down screen. That way you can keep and use the 36 incher for TV and VHS, and the big screen for DVD and HDTV. Your room dimensions are well suited for an 84" wide screen.

#3 of 4 ChadLB

ChadLB

Screenwriter

• 1,523 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 02:48 AM

Greg,
Bob made a great suggestion. Alot of people do exactly what he said....keep the TV and use a pull down screen. Some people even put the 36" tv in the corner and make a screen.
I think that there can be disadvantages to getting a RPTV / FP but hey a couple months back I was set on a 51/57" RPTV and I now own a Sanyo PLV-Z1.

#4 of 4 Greg L

Greg L

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for the input guys Posted Image . I will look into it and search the forums some more - but now looking for different info! This place is great Posted Image .

While I will look into setting up a screen, IF I were to go with a 51"/57" tv I'm still leaning toward the 51". In the future I may also go HDTV as I run Expressvu so perhaps that would help. In the mean time on to search the forums lol!