Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: The Out-of-Towners

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 of 25 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 01:00 PM

Posted Image

The Out-of-Towners

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1970

Rated: G

Length: 97 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1 Anamorphic

Audio: DD English Mono, DD French Mono

English Subtitles, French Subtitles

S.R.P. $19.99 USD
Release Date: November 25, 2003

The Out-Of-Towners is Neil Simon at his acerbic best, but it’s not his funniest film. The nod for that would have to go to The Odd Couple or Murder By Death. What makes this film work, more than the writing, are the performances of Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis.

George and Gwen Kellerman fly from their home in Ohio to New York City, so that George can interview for a new job. Unfortunately, the plane is diverted to Boston due to fog in New York. Arriving in Boston, they find that the airline has lost their luggage. No time to argue, however, because they have to race across Boston to catch a train at South Station so they can still make it to New York.

Arriving late in Manhattan, the couple finds that there is a major transit strike going on... no cabs, buses or subway. They walk to the hotel only to find that their room was given away (due to their lateness) and there is not a room to be found in the city.

During their night in New York, they are mugged, kidnapped, rained on, mugged again, injured... and they have gone more than a day without eating while stranded in Central Park with four cents to their name.

There are some genuinely funny moments, but there are times when you cringe from the repetitiveness of it all... not to mention that whining from Sandy Dennis. Still, the performances, especially Lemmon’s, generally make up for areas where the film is lacking. This is a dark comedy, and it isn’t to everyone’s taste. It is a must, though, for all fans of Jack Lemmon or Neil Simon.

Ironically, Steve Martin would act in two retellings of this film - the generally likable Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987), and the remake of The Out-of-Towners (1999), with Goldie Hawn.

The Out-of-Towners was directed by Arthur Hiller and has a wonderful score by Quincy Jones.

The Video
The film is delivered in anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen, with a sharp picture which retains moderate grain from the original film elements. Bright and with good contrast, this presentation does suffer from less than perfect black levels - never delivering a perfect black. Hues are true and colors are well saturated. The print displays occasional specks of dust or dirt, but nothing severe. Overall, this is a solid transfer, given its age of 33 years.

The Audio
English Dolby Digital Mono, or French dolby Digital Mono. The soundtrack is clean with good frequency response. Dialog is always clear and intelligible.

Final Thoughts
This film isn’t to everyone’s taste, but it is a good dark comedy by Neil Simon, with an excellent performance from Jack Lemmon. The DVD is a no-frills catalog release, but the transfer is clean and looks good for its age.

#2 of 25 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 01:16 PM

Scott... this is one of my favorite comedies and I've had it pre-ordered now for a few weeks... Thanks.

Herb.
My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#3 of 25 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 02:45 PM

Empire's had this title at a cheap (40% off MRP) price for many, many weeks now. Very funny film. Posted Image

Posted Image

"We got tonic water and clam juice...but they ain't cold." Posted Image

#4 of 25 OFFLINE   DanC

DanC

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the review Scott. This is one of my wife's favorite movies so I'll definitely be picking it up.
Go Noles!
>>------>

Home Theater/DVD's

#5 of 25 OFFLINE   BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 05:43 PM

Man, I watched it yesterday (for some reason I'd never seen it before, which is unusual for me since I'm a big Neil Simon fan) - I think it's just about the nadir of Simon's career. The idea is funny, and there are a few funny Simon one-liners, but I found it forced and poorly directed, and just painful to watch. And that's what makes horse-racing. It's always interesting how opinion changes over the years - I don't think this film was well-thought of in its initial release, at least that's my memory.

#6 of 25 OFFLINE   Nicholas Vargo

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit

• 419 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa, CA

Posted November 16 2003 - 08:03 PM

That's not true.

At least according to Robert Evans, who ran Paramount at the time. According to his book, to him, he thought it was a belly-laugh flick from start to finish.

Also, in his presentation reel he gave to Paramount to keep the studio open, he mentioned that the film was a major hit during the summer of 1970, when the film came out.

As for me, I enjoy this film. I saw it ten years ago when AMC used to air it on a daily basis. I was only 8 at the time, but I'm 18 now, and I still love it, My only problem with the film is that I have to watch it more often than I have in the past couple of years.
"...so here we go." --"Punch-Drunk Love"

Last 5 Blu-Rays Purchased: Notes on a Scandal (2006), The Big Chill: Criterion Collection (1983), Schindler's List (1993), Casper (1995), The Fault in Our Stars: Little Infinities Edition (2014)

#7 of 25 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 08:33 PM

Never saw this film.

However, The Prisoner of Second Avenue ranks
amongst my all-time favorite comedies.

Wish Warner would get that one out.

If you guys tell me this Lemmom comedy is half as
good, I'll be buying it.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 25 OFFLINE   StevenFC

StevenFC

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 09:20 PM

You need to pick this one up Ron. It's Lemmon at his frazzled yet defiant best. Actually it's somewhat similar to his performance in "The Prisoner of Second Avenue." And it's just a plain entertaining movie.
Steve's DVDs

The spammers motto: I stink, therefore I spam.

#9 of 25 OFFLINE   Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted November 17 2003 - 12:39 AM

I love this movie. I'm happy that the original is finally being released on DVD, long after the awful remake with Steve Martin.

And I like Sandy Dennis's whining! I like Sandy Dennis's quirky movie performances in general.

#10 of 25 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 12:45 AM

I've watched this movie once a year since the 80's. I have very few comedies in my collection and I can't wait to add this. I'm surprised to read Bruce's comments but I did grow up watching it so maybe it's more difficult for a first time viewer to get into this movie..Espcially after all these years.

Jeff

#11 of 25 OFFLINE   TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 01:04 AM

I was treated to this flick as a kid; Sandy Dennis' awsome delivery of "Oh, my God!" is one of the finest examples of comedic variance ever committed to film.

I also remember when the film made its tv debut, minus most of the "Oh, my God"s (blasphemy, you know) and missing the final *joke.*
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#12 of 25 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,548 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 08:20 AM

Just ordered it! Thanks, guys!

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#13 of 25 OFFLINE   Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 08:25 AM

Ron,

I do not think think you will be disappointed. This is a great film.

I hope they release more Jack Lemmon films. I really want "Good Neighbor Sam".

#14 of 25 OFFLINE   Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor

• 566 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the review Scott. Posted Image

I had this one on laserdisc, and I have been
waiting a long time for the DVD release. Good
thing it's in anamorphic widescreen, and it's
cheap. This movie has one of the funniest endings
I have ever seen. Posted Image
Pretty please, with sugar on top,
clean the f**king car.

#15 of 25 OFFLINE   BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 10:56 AM

Well, you see, comedy is subjective.

I'm sure Mr. Robert Evans thought it was a laugh riot - he made the film (or oversaw it).

I think if you look at the original gross of the film you will see it was not as big a grosser as previous Simon pictures.

Believe me, I wish I'd found it funny. I watched it because I thought it would be funny. I love Mr. Simon. But not all of Mr. Simon. I find Barefoot in the Park holds up wonderfully as a film, as does The Odd Couple, and I'm still quite partial to The Goodbye Girl. However, I have now watched a Neil Simon film that was even less funny to me - Last of the Red Hot Lovers. You all think that's a laugh riot, too?

#16 of 25 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted November 17 2003 - 12:42 PM

I'm laughing already. Posted Image

#17 of 25 OFFLINE   TonyDale

TonyDale

Second Unit

• 297 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 01:19 PM

Despite our feelings about THE OUT-OF-TOWNERS, Bruce Kimmel and I are in agreement about THE GOODBYE GIRL.

Does Warner have the rights to GOOD NEIGHBOR SAM?
We are just surrealist pilgrims, melting clocks in marble halls. . .

#18 of 25 OFFLINE   BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 06:23 PM

Good Neighbor Sam is a Columbia film, if memory serves.

#19 of 25 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted November 17 2003 - 11:39 PM

Quote:
the film was a major hit during the summer of 1970, when the film came out.

I saw THE OUT-OF-TOWNERS at Radio City Music Hall back then, and my main memory of it is hearing the entire audience - almost 6,000 people - roaring with laughter all through the movie. Then again, it was a New York audience, but still ...

--Bill

#20 of 25 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted November 18 2003 - 11:46 AM

Quote:
The Out-Of-Townders is Neil Simon

Heads-up to Scott on the typo. I didn't particularly care for the remake, but I love Neil Simon, so I may check this out.
My Collection

Forum Nav Content I Follow