What's new

The Critic on DVD??? (1 Viewer)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Rumor has it that this animated series is coming out on DVD in 2004. I first tried doing a search here, looking for threads concerning this series, but for some reason, the search function isn't working for me. I've been having some problems with my computer lately. My apologies if this question has already been asked: Is the show coming out? If so, is there a release date?

Also, will the DVD include the 10 Flash episodes of The Critic that were created for the web after the show was cancelled? They're short but pretty good. You can view it here if you didn't know about it:

The Critic - Atom Films

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Tommorrow morning bright and early I will post my news item at TVShowsOnDVD for The Critic. Tomorrow is Columbia's announce date, and we adhere to those dates.

The news listing will include a complete list of all commentary participants, a description of the featurette, and an extra supplement that noone else who's broken the announce date has mentioned yet. :D

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
You tease, Dave. Technically, here in the east tomorrow begins in 53 minutes. ;)
As long as the news is posted there by the time I wake up at 8:30, I'll be happy. :)

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
Dave, your TV Shows on DVD site was the first place I went to get some info about The Critic DVD. When I didn't see anything there, I then came here and posted my questions. I'm gonna check your site again tomorrow. I'm looking forward to reading what the DVD set will include. :)

I'm guessing its a long-shot that the DVD will have the 10-part web "series". But I've got my fingers crossed.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Critic and Dilbert announcements are both up.

Critic not only doesn't have the webtoon version, it also doesn't seem to have participation by Lovitz, interestingly enough. Other voice actors are there, but no "Jay".

Anyone have any ideas why this would be? I'm hoping that when Columbia issues the press release later today, we'll find out that I was told wrong. But make no mistake: 100% of the info I published in the news for The Critic came directly from the people at Columbia who are responsible for most press releases...so it should be 100% accurate.

Despite all that, it really does look like an amazing set with plenty of extras. It should make any fan pretty happy.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
David, I was just about to post the same thing about Lovitz. He seems like the type who would want to participate in extras. The only thing I can think of is his schedule wouldn't permit him to participate.

Joey Gunz

Second Unit
I'm very, very surprised that Jon Lovitz isn't participating in The Critic DVD. With 8 commentaries, I was pretty much expecting him to be one of the commentators. At least we'll be able to own this DVD soon. I'm looking forward to January 27. Thanks for the news, David. :)

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator
This 3-Disc release comes with all 23 episodes, and extensive extras:

Clip Compilations
8 Commentaries, featuring Executive Producer Al Jean, Executive Producer Mike Reiss, Co-Producer David Cutler, Director Rich Moore, and Voice Actor Maurice "Jeremy Hawke" LaMarche. In addition, some commentaries include Executive Producer James L. Brooks, Writer Steven Levitan, Voice Actor Nick "Vlada Villamiravitch" Jameson, and Voice Actor Charles "Duke Phillips" Napier.
New Featurette: "Creating The Critic". Features interviews with James L. Brooks, Al Jean, Mike Reiss, and other co-creators.
"White Rabbits": Pop-ups during episode 113 which allow you to watch 3 of the scenes in a split-screen fashion. Split-screens show comparisons of storyboards, rough animations, and the as-aired final animated version of the scene.

Set for release on January 27th, this will have a running time of 520 minutes. Fullscreen video will be accompanied by English 2.0 sound. No subtitles are provided, but it will be closed captioned for the hearing impaired. The list price is $49.95.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Hey David.. should you need a reviewer for either 'The Critic' or 'Dilbert' let me raise a paw! I've got original airings of all and I am going to be VERY CURIOUS if these are the full, unedited versions...

reason being.. one episode of "Dilbert" has been 'banned' from airing in Canada ("The Name", episode 1) because of 'sensitivity to the events of 9/11' per the folks at TeleToon who have the rights...

even more curious, the airing on Comedy Central in the past few days of "Ethics" WAS EDITED from the last time it aired in the not too recent past... an entire bit was cut from the 'secret ruling class' meeting after the 'internet election'...

to whit..

Ben Franklin: "Do you still handle elections the same way?"

Dogbert: "The old ways are still the best"

(Butler walks in with a message on a tray)

Chairman: "Well, the votes have been counted, the people have spoken. Our new president is... Harry Ass McGee"

(Comedy Central CUTS at this point and faded to black, the UNEDITED version continues on..)

[hold silence for a beat]

ALL: (hysterical laughter)

Chairman: (wads up message while laughing) "So seriously, Who do we make President".

(Fade out for commercial)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
While I like the site and visit it pretty much everyday, DVDFile is notorious for making errors in their news posts. Case in point, look at the 1st sentence in their story in question:
Rounding out the lineup are three new TV on DVD releases: The Critic: The Entire Series (a 3-disc set) and Dilbert: The Complete Series (4 discs)
(Bold added by me for emphasis)
If they can't even get the number of shows they're talking about right, why should I believe the rest of their info? Plus, a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/490

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I'm just hoping it was a case of misinformation on DVDFile's part. As far as I'm concerned, David's word is the truth!:D

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
In DVDFile's defense, the Columbia TriStar press site doesn't list ANY extras, so they're just reporting what they have access to.

Gord

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I've sent a note to my source, bringing this to their attention. My source is the same group who are responsible for press releases (which haven't circulated for The Critic yet), so I trust the info absolutely.

My biggest concern about DVDFile's post is that they diminish the perceived value of The Critic set: they state that Columbia is charging $50 for both it and Dilbert, but giving you oh-so-much-more with Dilbert. As Gord said, it's an understandable mistake (one I would have made if I hadn't previously been in touch with the studio on this same matter!).

But, knowing what I know, I would say that The Critic's supplements - as stated to me - are definately stronger than those in the Dilbert set. So it's a trade-off: for the same $50 (minus store discounts) you get 7 more Dilbert episodes, but The Critic makes up for it with cooler extras.

Steve, thanks for your support! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I just put the press release up (here. Not only does it confirm most of the supplements that I've mentioned, but it also mentions some form of inclusion of the "web-i-sodes".

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
The Critic and Dilbert on January 27th?!?! WOOHOO!!!! Count me in, and thanks to Columbia/Tristar for releasing these two excellent TV shows! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks