Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for a sub upgrade or surrounds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   MichaelPR

MichaelPR

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 12:13 PM

Hey new to the forum here and this is my first post. After lurking for awhile I've managed to put together what i feel is a nice little system for myself. I am looking to upgrade to a sub in the $300 range. My current system is the following:

TV: Sony Wega 27"
DVD Player: Toshiba SD-3900
Receiver: Yamaha RXV440
Fronts: Paradigm Titans
Center: Paradigm CC-170
Surrounds: Bose Direct Reflecting 201 IV
Sub: Sony SA-WM 20

Basically I'm looking to upgrade either the sub or the surrounds. I'm not to happy with the Bose. They don't sound right with my paradigms up front. I also feel I could be getting a lot more bass than the farting noise my sub makes. I have $300 to spend what would match my system well? Also any other recomendations you can make would be excellent. The room itself is not that big and it is in a basement. Thanks in advance!Posted Image
Format Neutral

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   John Robert

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 01:15 PM

I would upgrade the sub. I have the same unit and it does not have much output or go very low. I gave it to my son to use with his PS2.

You can get a JBL 120PII for about $350 online. Do a search on it and you will see that it has been well reviewed. It will make a HUGE difference in your system...

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   MichaelPR

MichaelPR

Second Unit

• 401 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the input John I will have to check that out.
Format Neutral

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,552 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 16 2003 - 03:16 PM

Ask in the speakers forum and you will get even more responses. Posted Image
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein