What's new

Technical Question: Region 0 compatibility (1 Viewer)

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Armand Vaquer
Yesterday I picked up a Region 0 Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2002) DVD. It'll play fine for a while on my region-free player, but then it starts to skip and freeze.

But, it plays just fine on my old Region 1 RCA player. Why is it that a Region 0 DVD would play poorly on a region-free player but plays just great on a Region 1 player? Anyone else have similar problems?

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
It has nothing to do with the dvd being R0.

A dvd player checks the region code once, when the dvd is loaded. After that, the disc either plays or gets ejected by the player with some sort of "wrong region" message. Discs don't play poorly because of wrong region codes.

It has to be a bad disc or a problem with the player.....

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
I'd suspect a damaged disc too. If it's region 0 then it's a bootleg and I wouldn't trust the quality control of bootleg producers! ( GXMG is only officially available as a R2 or R3 release )
I suspect your RCA player just has a better error correction system than your modified player.

Ronn.W

Second Unit
Yep, what the others said. 0 isn't really a region, it indicates a lack of a region. So there's no problem with a player thinking it can't play a R0 disc because the disc itself hasn't been encoded with a region restriction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks