-

Photo

Technical Question: Region 0 compatibility

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 ArmandV

ArmandV

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 04:38 AM

Yesterday I picked up a Region 0 Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2002) DVD. It'll play fine for a while on my region-free player, but then it starts to skip and freeze.

But, it plays just fine on my old Region 1 RCA player. Why is it that a Region 0 DVD would play poorly on a region-free player but plays just great on a Region 1 player? Anyone else have similar problems?

#2 of 4 Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 04:59 AM

It has nothing to do with the dvd being R0.

A dvd player checks the region code once, when the dvd is loaded. After that, the disc either plays or gets ejected by the player with some sort of "wrong region" message. Discs don't play poorly because of wrong region codes.

It has to be a bad disc or a problem with the player.....
E-Mail | Collection

#3 of 4 Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 10:24 AM

I'd suspect a damaged disc too. If it's region 0 then it's a bootleg and I wouldn't trust the quality control of bootleg producers! ( GXMG is only officially available as a R2 or R3 release )
I suspect your RCA player just has a better error correction system than your modified player.

#4 of 4 Ronn.W

Ronn.W

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted November 17 2003 - 02:32 AM

Yep, what the others said. 0 isn't really a region, it indicates a lack of a region. So there's no problem with a player thinking it can't play a R0 disc because the disc itself hasn't been encoded with a region restriction.