Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

!!! wonka widescreen dvd !!! - NOT A HOAX! ARRIVING 11/13!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 of 209 OFFLINE   Phong

Phong

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 06:54 AM

I am so excited to be able to post this!

I just got an email from Josh Sabrra, Manager of Publicity at Warner Home Video. He included a media release which I will paste here. It speaks for itself.

All I have to say is thank you to everybody that signed the petition, called, wrote, and made their voices heard.

Phong
----

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
JUST GOT SWEETER WITH A 30TH ANNIVERSARY
SPECIAL EDITION WIDESCREEN DVD
COMING NOVEMBER 13

Unwrap the Magic of This Classic Film with Special,
Never-Before-Seen Extras

“Delightful. A genuine work of imagination.” – Roger Ebert

BURBANK, CA (August 23, 2001) – Warner Home Video (WHV) welcomes you to a world of childhood wishes! On August 28, join Charlie Bucket, Violet Beauregarde, Augustus Gloop, Mike Teevee and Veruca Salt as they journey to Loompa Land for the ultimate, candy-filled adventure in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory. This special, 30th Anniversary widescreen DVD will be available on November 13 for $24.98 SRP and is every fan’s “golden ticket” to over two captivating hours of fantasy. A special edition, full-frame edition will continue to be available on both VHS ($22.96 SRP) and DVD ($24.98 SRP).

The one-and-only Willy Wonka “makes the world taste good” for a whole new generation in this magical family classic sparkling with brilliantly restored picture and sound! Also included is the all-new documentary Pure Imagination: The Making of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory featuring new interviews with Gene Wilder and the Wonka kids and revealing production secrets from the movie.

When they find prized Golden Tickets inside their Wonka candy bars, five lucky children win a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the legendary candy factory run by the mysterious Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder). Now, on a whirlwind tour of Willy’s incredible, edible realm of milk chocolate
waterfalls, elfish Oompa-Loompas and industrial sized sugar-coated creations, one very special boy will discover the sweetest secret of all: a generous, loving heart. It’s a taste of sheer movie-making enchantment, as you enter the simply scrumptious, surprise-in-each-bite, cherry-on-top world of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.
-more-
Warner Home Video, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
Page 2

The magical, widescreen DVD and the full-frame DVD, filled with fantastic features and never-before-seen special moments, include:
·A fantastic, restored picture presentation.
·Animated Menus.
·All-new documentary Pure Imagination: The Making of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.
·Audio commentary with the now grown-up Wonka kids.
·Sing-along Wonka songs.
·Original theatrical featurette.

The special edition, full-frame VHS includes 15 minutes of bonus material including the all-new documentary Pure Imagination: The Making of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory:
·Behind-the-scenes secrets revealed.
·First look at script changes, special effects techniques and anecdotes told.
·All-new interviews with Gene Wilder and all the now grown-up Wonka Kids.

“WHV is thrilled to be able to offer a fantastic, 30th Anniversary widescreen edition of this treasured classic,” said Ewa Martinoff, WHV Vice President of Family Entertainment Marketing. “Long-time fans of this timeless gem have expressed great interest in a widescreen release, and WHV is excited to bring it to them on November 13.”

#2 of 209 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:16 AM

Posted Image Great news.

Here is what Videotropic posted:

Quote:
Widescreen Wonka: Warner Bros., being nobody's fool, has called to inform us that a widescreen Willy Wonka And the Chocolate Factory will be pressed to street on November 13th. The new release, identical in every other way to next week's 30th anniversary edition, was the result of a relative public relations nightmare for the company that occurred with the announcement that the long-awaited title was being released in full-screen unmatted format. Because this news is being made public before the street date of the full-screen version, Warner has no current plans for a trade-in policy.

We did it!!

#3 of 209 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,934 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:17 AM

Sweet!!!! I also heard that Cats & Dogs also will now be Widescreen and Pan & Scam. Thank you Warner for catering to ALL of your customers. As soon as everything is confirmed my preorders for both movies will be reinstated.

All the people who signed the petition should all be very proud that WE made a difference.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#4 of 209 OFFLINE   Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter

• 1,742 posts
  • LocationAbilene, TX

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:17 AM

Great News!! Let's just hope we get the same results with Cat's and Dogs, and the other family titles!!

#5 of 209 OFFLINE   Brett Miles

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator

• 107 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:21 AM

I know you're excited, but you didn't have to post it so many times Posted Image ! JK, this is great! I prefer separate releases anyway to prevent any P&S, FS, whatever, clutter on my DVDs.

------------------

#6 of 209 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:22 AM

OH MY GOD! I am absolutly speechless!

WE DID IT EVERYONE!!!

------------------

[Edited last by John Williamson on August 23, 2001 at 04:52 PM]
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#7 of 209 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,595 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:22 AM

YES!!! WE DID IT!!

I just hope that news is true about Cats & Dogs!
It also looks like Osmosis Jones is NOW SAFE!

------------------

[Edited last by JohnS on August 23, 2001 at 04:24 PM]

all-banner.jpg

#8 of 209 OFFLINE   LukeB

LukeB

Screenwriter

• 2,179 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:24 AM

This really is excellent news!

#9 of 209 OFFLINE   Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald

Screenwriter

• 2,641 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:24 AM

I wasn't planning on getting it right away even when I knew it was widescreen, but when I found out it was fullscreen I decided not to ever. But now with this news, I think I'll pick it up for christmas just so they know that we want OAR. Posted Image

We can make a difference. Hell I explained to my grandma the other day about widescreen and she is now obsessed with it, she wants to only rent in widescreen and she seems so happy with it. And I printed her out some comparison shots to show her friends who were complaining about...'those black bars.'

I changed a few people, and with this news things are looking up.

#10 of 209 OFFLINE   Keith_R

Keith_R

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:26 AM

This is fantastic news, now if we could just do away with all forms of P&S and make the world safe for widescreen Posted Image Posted Image

-Keith-
-Keith-       

#11 of 209 OFFLINE   Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor

• 923 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image Posted Image!!!

------------------
The Devil & Daniel Webster (1941)
Posted Image "Cinema is simply letting the audience fill in the blanks." - David Lean.
"By conservative estimate, the goddamned-ist thing ever seen." - James Agee on Bill and Coo (1948)

#12 of 209 OFFLINE   Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:32 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Superb!

Dan (UK)

#13 of 209 OFFLINE   Reni D

Reni D

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:34 AM

This is clear ...... The DVD Internet community is powerful
Im happy for this. It made my day!!!!!!!!!!! Posted Image

#14 of 209 OFFLINE   Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:35 AM

This goes a long way towards restoring my admiration for Warner Bros. Nice to know they responded to the outcry!
For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#15 of 209 ONLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,276 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:38 AM

Cool! Now I can buy Wonka!

Yeah HTF! Posted Image
Yeah Warner for listening!

#16 of 209 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,648 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:41 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImageHooray! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Next mission: push for more of Warner's older catalog titles (WB, RKO, MGM, Allied Artists, Monogram, etc.) on DVD!

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#17 of 209 OFFLINE   Jeff Ashforth

Jeff Ashforth

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:42 AM

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Woo Hoo!

Great Job Everyone!

Let's hope WB continues the trend.

------------------
"I don't know, I'm just making this up as I go."
My Spare time larcenists
The worst HT in America.

Procrastinators unite, tomorrow.

#18 of 209 OFFLINE   Matt Perkins

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:43 AM

Hey, wouldn't it be funny if we all just bought the P&S version anyway? And then, we can just let the WS versions rot on the shelves, so Warner can study their sales figures and go, "Wait a second ... "

Okay, sorry. Not funny.

I AM SO HAPPY THIS IS COMING OUT!!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 of 209 OFFLINE   SpenceJT

SpenceJT

Second Unit

• 337 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:44 AM

Very nice!

Now Warner will be able to face the Home Theater Forum's chat with some semblance of dignity! Posted Image

Spence

------------------
SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"...now what's all this crud about no movie tonight!"
- Thank you Mr. Lemmon
SpenceJT

My DVD Collection
"Someone tries to kill you - you kill 'em right back!" - Capt. Mal Reynolds "Serenity"

#20 of 209 Guest_MaxY_*

Guest_MaxY_*

Posted August 23 2001 - 09:46 AM

Wow Now if I trust them I can run right out and buy me Goonies. Posted Image

Kudos to all on the forum and especially Ron & Packy

But most of all to ..

Warner for not stubbornly backing a poor choice.

Max

------------------
Posted Image
Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Feel Free To Resume buying Warner Product!!

[Edited last by MaxY on August 23, 2001 at 04:48 PM]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users