Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"The Gods Must be Crazy" available for preorder at Amazon

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Terry H

Terry H

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 07:56 AM

Title says it all. Amazon lists release date as 3 Feb. MSRP $29.99, Amazon price $20.97. Details are sparse ...to say the least. They don't even list studio yet. Anyone know who owns this property?

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,633 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 15 2003 - 08:20 AM

Under company credits at imdb.com it lists Fox as the theatrical distributer, so chances are it is Fox that is releasing the DVD.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 02:53 PM

Yes! I love this flick, and am sure we'll at least get a decent anamorphic transfer.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 03:58 PM

It better be in widescreen. I've never gotten the chance to see it in its 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Now all we need is the sequel.
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Jim Dalton

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 04:05 PM

Cool!

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,633 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 09:13 PM

If it is a Fox release (still not 100% sure), it will be OAR.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 09:36 PM

If it's $29.99MSRP under FOX, I am going to assume it's a double-feature (with the sequel?) or a special edition. That would rule if it was a double feature disc ^_^ /

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 03:33 AM

Count me in if 16x9 OAR.

Wooohooo!

dave Posted Image

p.s. go the same notification from amazon today and was tickled pink Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Terry H

Terry H

Second Unit

• 319 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 04:03 AM

I have good news and bad news. Dvdtalk also has a thread going on this subject. A guy who calls himself "Mao" has posted some information. I should note that in my experience Mao's information is 99% accurate so I believe it. The good news is that this is indeed a double feature (two movies). The bad news is that Columbia is releasing it. I don't know about you, but I have not been impressed with Columbia lately. I wasn't at all happy to read this information. Guess we'll wait and see. If Fox were releasing I would preorder but now I will have to see a review first.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 05:40 AM

This is great news...although I really hope Sony doesn't screw this one up.

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 10:08 AM

Just heard!!!

[quote] Columbia to release "The Gods Must be Crazy" SE set with 5.1 DTS sound and a P/S 4x3 transfer! [quote]
Oh...my mistake...that was Annie... Posted Image

Better hope they get this one right.

dave
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted November 16 2003 - 04:08 PM

I asked about this title during the last HTF chat with Peter Staddon, and from his answer, I got the impression it was still a Fox title. Someone whispered to me though that the sequal was owned by Columbia. I have wanted an OAR DVD of this for such a long time. Great movie! Hopefully Fox is handling this release, as I am confident they would do it right. If Columbia does a good OAR transfer of this, I'll be just as happy, but with their OAR support inconsistant, I'd much rather give my sale to Fox.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,633 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 02:21 AM

Looks like dvdfile.com has the first details of specs.

And making its long-awaited DVD debut is a two-pack of the hit foreign comedies The Gods Must Be Crazy and The Gods Must Be Crazy Part II. Each is presented in newly-remastered anamorphic widescreen and Dolby 2.0 surround, and extras include two new featurettes, the last known interview with star Nixau, a still gallery and bonus trailers. Retail will be $29.95.

The studio distributer is Columbia Tri-Star. Amazon.com has also updated their entry by saying this is a two disc set, which is good news for the transfer quality of the films.

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 02:30 AM

Anamorphic! Posted Image Never has a Coke bottle wreaked so much havoc. Posted Image

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 04:49 AM

[quote] good news for the transfer quality of the films. [quote]

Other than the compulsory excessive edge enhancement that Columbia slaps onto their discs, that is. Posted Image

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Adam_ME

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor

• 930 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 05:07 AM

[quote] The studio distributer is Columbia Tri-Star. [quote]
So does this mean we should wait for the Superbit?
I should really learn to knock....in case there's a threesome going on in my bedroom. - Sandy Cohen, The O.C., The Countdown

My DVD Collection

#17 of 18 ONLINE   Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure

Casual Enthusiast

• 2,875 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted November 25 2003 - 06:02 AM

How did the Anti-Christ get up in the tree?

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   MikeM

MikeM

Screenwriter

• 1,207 posts

Posted November 25 2003 - 10:13 AM

Here are the full specs:
DVD SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:

Digitally Mastered Audio & Anamorphic Video
Widescreen Presentations
Audio: English
"Journey to Nyae Nyae" featurette
"Buster Reynolds Remembers Jamie Uys" featurette
Baraka School Photo Gallery
Weblink to the Kalahari People's Fund
Subtitles: English, Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Portugeuse, Spanish, Thai
Bonus Trailers
Scene Selections

The Gods Must Be Crazy
Rated PG
Color
Running Time: 109 Minutes
The Gods Must Be Crazy II
Running Time: 98 Minutes
Rated PG
Color
DVD Catalog # 10649
UPC Code: 0-43396-10649-9
Street Date: 02/03/04
SLP: $29.95

A link to the full press release, including the cover art image can be found at The Digital Review:
http://www.thedigita....=&threadid=471

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users