What's new

HD Sports screen format? (1 Viewer)

John S

Senior HTF Member
When you watch say a footbal game in HD from like say Comcast HDTV. What is the screen format? Widescreen? Non-Widescreen? Do you maybe get a choice?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Most HD football games from CBS and ABC are in widescreen (CBS using 1080i, ABC using 720p). Sometime certain camera angles or when they switch back to the studio during halftime go back to 4:3 but the bulk of the action is in widescreen.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Are there any screenshots anywhere? Especially of the comparison between the 16:9 game and the 4:3 game? I'd like to see how much more you're getting with the widescreen.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm they did this during the playoffs on one channel, just to show you...

It is significant, but I don't have any way to do a screen shot, heck, the only other time this year to even get one will be the Super Bowl.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
One of the things I like to do when watching 16:9 broadcasts on a normally 4:3 station is to look at the placement of the scores or station logo. Most times, the logo will be in the same position for either format, and you can really see the extra picture you get with widescreen as opposed to 4:3. On my 53" set, I get about 3 inches extra on both sides (horizontal).

When other people come over to watch, they tend to notice it too (along with the amazing HD quality picture).

John S

Senior HTF Member
It is kind of hard to equate 3" on each side to how much more on the field view there is.

It is significant, and I sure had a packed house last Sunday for the games. Everybody seems to like it much better than the SD 4:3 feeds.

Rick Guynn

Second Unit
A good example for what you get with the 'extra' width can be illustrated before the snap. On a 4:3, you see both sets of linemen on the line of scrimmage, you see the QB, and probably the running back on the extreme edge. On 16:9 you also get to see the linebackers moving around and possibly the safeties if they are not playing too deep.

It essentially gives you a greater overview of the action. Of course, it doesn't hurt that it's in HD :)

RG

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
It's easy to see the difference with network HDTV......
...with cable anyway...ABC HD is channel 889, ABC TV is channel 9...so flipping between them shows you the difference.
Football in widescreen HDTV is especially awesome when the camera shot is from behind the offense panning down the field...you see sideline to sideline, probably picking up 10-15 yards more across the field on each side...no comparison.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Mark:F,

That view (behind the QB looking up field from just above) is great with HD and terrible with SD. I've heard many callers to sports radio complain about that view. A knowledgable sports radio host explained that the shot is formatted for HD and if the viewer does not like it he should look into a HDTV setup.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Good point Jeff...as an HDTV user I'd like everything to be HD like now!...but it's too bad it'll probably be a few years before HD is available universally as product as well as transmission...meanwhile 4:3 users will have more annoyances unfortunately.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
Although I was pleased the other night when I was flipping through the channels. HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS were all showing non-sports HD material during their prime-time lineups (i.e., not 4:3 material broadcast over the digital channel). Fox was even showing something that was 16:9, even if they don't broadcast in HD resolutions.

The day keeps getting closer. Soon everything will be HD...now if only ESPN would broadcast in HD more than once a year.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I've heard many callers to sports radio complain about that view. A knowledgable sports radio host explained that the shot is formatted for HD and if the viewer does not like it he should look into a HDTV setup.
Jeff,
Would that be the Big O? Are you a fellow Big Show listener?

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
The picture is sooo much better, especially watching sports in HD. From what I've seen so far (NFL, NBA, NHL, College) everything is in the 16:9.

Has anyone try that Voom service that offers 39 HD channels?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I find most people are anti-hd... It seems to actually intimidate most people I know.

And now that I have upgraded, I can see why....
HD is way complicated compared to NTSC period.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
That would be the Big O. I know Tweeter advertises HD on WEEI and this is part of it, but I loved the way Ordway just said "If you don't like it, get a HD set cause that's the way football is covered today". He basically said to get over it or upgrade because HD is the only way to watch sports.

As far as Glenn and Pete not being anti, I'm sure that's because they are the only 2 that have HD sets. Dale Arnold is also a big HD fan and complains that Bruins away games are not in HD.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
I love the fact that they push HD (even if they are paid spokesman). I think either Brett or Andy love it too. I only have OTA HD, so I haven't had a chance to check out the Bruins or the Sox in HD yet. I detest cable, so I guess it will be awhile before I will get a chance to check it out seeing as Comcast and NESN are in bed together.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
The Panthers kicked Rams ass two weeks ago the game showed pretty good(may be becauase of the turf). But last week when they crushed Eagles, the telecast was not all that great (both were in FOX). Except for few angles which had some extra white color on the panthers and eagles dress.
(more like the angel shot in movies where angels have a milky white halo around their body).
Did anyone notice it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks