Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

quiet surrounds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Hunter M

Hunter M

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 07:44 AM

All right I have the Klipsch quintet II surrounds and they seem very quiet. I even put the level on them to +8 and I still can't notice much surround audio, is this how it's supposed to be (my first home theater) or should surround noise be very noticeable? Thanks.

#2 of 8 ScottCarr

ScottCarr

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 07:45 AM

What is powering the speakers?

#3 of 8 Hunter M

Hunter M

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 07:52 AM

Onkyo TX-SR500

#4 of 8 Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 08:13 AM

Have you calibrated them to match the rest of the speakers? What is your room layout and how are they positioned? It the speakers are all calibrated to the correct level then your expectations may not be ideal.

Whether the surrounds are supposed to stand out or not depends on the DVD and how is was mixed. Some use very little surrounds and some usa a lot. A good scene with active surround information is the opening beach scene in Saving Private Ryan. On the other hand if you are watching a movie with little or no action they probably will not draw attention to themselves but will be filling in the score and the ambient noise.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." Frank Zappa

Dealer listing for Toronto & Area

My Shiva

#5 of 8 Hunter M

Hunter M

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 14 2003 - 08:40 AM

Well I had them all matched to the same volume, but they seemed way too quiet, so i bumped them up to +8, and it was a little improvement, but not much, I'm wondering if I should turn them up even more. I'll have to test the saving priv. ryan. The speakers are positioned about 6ft from either side of a couch, and about 6 and a half feet up facing straight out.

#6 of 8 Barry BB

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 05:52 AM

It sounds to me that you're expecting too much. As noted in a previous post there are some DVD scenes where the surrounds do draw attention to themselves. But for the most part surrounds take care of the ambient sounds and more or less disappear into the background. You should not be bunping them up so that you can "hear" them. Sometimes I think that my surrounds are not working until I put my head up next to them and then I hear them cranking out the background sounds.

If you do a proper calibation then you are hearing what you should be hearing.

#7 of 8 Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 07:12 AM

Calibrate the speakers with the AVIA (or similiar) calibration disc with a SPL meter. That is the only way you will verify your observations. Then you will have real numbers to work with.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.

#8 of 8 Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 07:55 AM

If you want a nifty clip to test your system with, use the DTS trailer thats on all the SuperBit DVDs. It's not too long, but it has some of that nice swirly action to give your surrounds a good run for the money.

(Not to mention *PLENTY* of LFE action at the end of the clip)
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.