What's new

Star Wars original trilogy on laserdisc (1 Viewer)

John_Witt

Auditioning
First, I want to appologize for yet another Star Wars post. I attempted to do a search on this topic but the search utility was not functioning.
Now that Lucas has confirmed we will not be seeing the original trilogy on DVD any time soon, I am thinking of making the plunge into laserdisc. I just can't fathom waiting 5 years to watch Star Wars on anything other than VHS.
I remember an article written last year that described the different laser disc versions and which one was superior. Does anyone remember the website and could they provide a link? I think they mentioned the Collectors Edition which contained AC3 was the best but I am not sure.
Where would a good place be to get these movies and a player these days? I did some surfing on ebay and ken cranes and wasn't having much luck but didn't look real hard.
Last, were the Indiana Jones movies put out on laserdisc?
Thanks in advance for any information you can provide. Hopefully the membership here will find this information beneficial.
[Edited last by John_Witt on September 11, 2001 at 02:25 PM]

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If you just want something to hold you over until the DVDs arrive, the last laserdisc release of the original trilogy is the one to get. They're typically referred to as the "THX versions," and feature the "Vader/Stormtrooper/Yoda half-face" covers. You should be able to pick 'em up for seven to ten buck apiece.

Leroy

Second Unit
I beleive that only the Special Editions have 5.1 sound. You can readily find the "face" versions for cheap on the net. I have the "face" version of ANH, and the special edition boxset. Of course there is the "Definitive" boxset with CAV versions of the pre-special edition versions (i.e. original versions)that is great if you can find it.
You will, however need a receiver that has an AC3-RF modualtor built in(some older Sony/Kenwood models come to mind for cheap if can can find'em) or track down a standalone modulator to use with your existing reciever.
And yes, I beleive all the Indy movies were released although I only have the first. (Widescreen with a great stereo surround track)
------------------
I rule all that I survey...and that ain't much.
Visit my pages at: http://www.hypercon.com/spiff http://www.smack_daddy.homestead.com
[Edited last by Leroy on September 11, 2001 at 03:32 PM]

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've got all three THX versions as well as the Japanese SE Box Set of the Trilogy. I have to say the picture on the Jap. SE is significantly better than the THX versions. You should still be able to buy this box set new.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
This is gone through ever once in a while. Now we can do it again!
The Star Wars Trilogy to consider are:
The Definitive Collection box set. Nine all-CAV discs and a book (ok but not that great) in a large, heavy box. THX. Should run you about $50 - $100 on Ebay. These are the original, unmodified versions.
THX. Available individually. THX. About $30-$60 on Ebay. Original, unmodified versions.
The Special Edition box set. Five discs. THX. $50-$175 on Ebay. Of course, these are the modified versions.
The Special Edition looks and sounds the best and is the only domestic (there is also a Japanese release) that has Dolby Digital (AC-3) 5.1 sound. The others, however, look and sound nearly as good (comparing the PCM tracks only).
The Indiana Jones Trilogy were released once in widescreen and are available individually. $60-$100 on Ebay. There is a Japanese box set of these also with a disc of supplements, but it's not cheap (and it's hard to find anyway). If you go for this, make certain it's NTSC - there is also a PAL version.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Jason_H

Second Unit
Quick question...I just got the Definitive Collection box set. The sound is fantastic, but the picture could be better. I'm curious from someone that owns both the box set and the newer sets...how is the video quality on the newer sets compared to the Definitive Collection CAV box set?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The Definitive Collection ain't that bad. The available separately THX's are the same transfers. The Special Edition is the best of all of them, but it's not by bunches - just a little better.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

James D S

Screenwriter
No Donovan - It's A Lot taboo.
And I doubt the thread originator is thankful to you for bringing that crap into his thread...
[Edited last by James D S on September 12, 2001 at 02:38 AM]

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
the Japanese DEFINATIVE and SE BOXes were pressed by Pioneer Japan, and as such, are generally not prone to rot. The KURRAY 'definative'pressings used in the US at times were....I believe these were the 'fixed' Second pressing.
Pioneer US did their rather poor 'end of laserdisc' pressings for the SE boxes here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks