What's new

Scenes That Gave You A Chill... (1 Viewer)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Scenes from movies that gave you a chill. Not so much a chill from being frightened, but more like a moment in the film that really touched you, or grabbed you, or just got your adreneline up... Some personal examples...

If you're going to list moments from newer films then use spoiler tags...

Vader Tells Luke he is his father in Empire Strikes Back

Neo returns to life and kicks agent butt in The Matrix

Rocky lasts 15 rounds with Apollo Creed

- Jack

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
One shot that still gives me a chill (in the usual sense of the word) every time I see it is in the last scene of Vertigo, when the nun starts to emerge from the dark on the top of the bell tower. It's like death stepping right towards you. I bet I could watch that movie dozens more times and still get that powerful reaction every single time.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
When I first watched them at the theater, watching the titles for The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions "fly" by with the Matrix theme playing.

X2: The flashback scene of Wolverine at Akalai Lake, screaming as he looks upon his claws.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much everything at the end of Unforgiven.

"Who's the owner of this shithole? You, fatman. Speak up."

"He should have armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend."

"I've killed women and children. Reckon I've killed everything that ever walked or crawled. And now I'm here to kill you, Little Bill, for what you did to Ned!"

And so on... :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
From Mary Shelly's Frankenstein when the creature asks Victor for a bride:

Victor: "And if I refuse?"

Monster: "If you deny me my wedding night, I will be with you on yours."

Definately a horrible thing to contemplate.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
* Neo waking up in the pod in Matrix
* Jack making Rose promise to never let go just before dying of hypothermia in Titanic
* Terminator waking back up to grab for Sarah's throat just before she steel-presses it in The Terminator.
* The Allies hitting the Beach in Saving Private Ryan
* Data fiercely proclaiming "Resistance is *Futile*" in ST:First Contact just after the quantum torpedoes miss Cochran's ship.
* Dr. Arroway yelling into the walkie-talkie on her way back to the lab after hearing The Signal in Contact
* When Buzz proudly exclaims "This isn't flying. This is *falling* with *STYLE*!" in Toy Story
* When Dory says: "When I'm with you, I remember. I don't want to forget." in Finding Nemo
* George and Lace's conversation under the tree in Phenomenon "Will you love me for the rest of my life?" "No, I'll love you for the rest of mine."
* "We all got it coming Kid." William from Unforgiven
* Bruce Willis' expression in Sixth Sense when Anna drops the ring.
* God talking to Truman in Truman Show
* The Ark of the Covenant opening in Raiders of the Lost Ark
* Green Goblin taunting Spider-man with "Now choose, Hero!" in Spider-Man
* Logan comforting Marie on the train "He seems to want to help people, and that's a rare thing." in X-Men
* Cale answering Akima's question in Titan AE "I think I'll call it Bob."

So many excellent films. A film can't be truly excellent unless it has at least one moment of pure revelation, sheer exhilaration, that touches and rips at me. These are but a few of those magical moments.

Matthew R

Agent

This is the first scene that came to mind when I saw the thread title. Gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. Yike.

--Matthew

Matthew-K

Stunt Coordinator
I second the "No, I am your father!" by Darth Vader. Arguably the most surprising and chilling event in movie history.

Also, in the same realm, the scene in the Phantom Menace when the bay doors open up to reveal Darth Maul to Obi-wan and Qui-gon. I remember thinking, this is going to be a bad ass fight!

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
The scene in Devil's Advocate when Charlize Theron is shopping with Tamara Tunie's character and sees her real face for the first time.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Fight Club: Narrator/Jack's realisation that he's been living a double-life.

* Neo waking up in the pod in Matrix
Agree. Perhaps Craig Bierko's character seeing green gridlines at the end of the road in Thirteenth Floor is similar, although certainly not as "shocking" as Neo's "awakening".

One from TV: Smallville towards the end of Season 2, when John Williams' Superman theme is used for the first time when Clark is "visiting" his spaceship. You know the scene...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Arwen's ride in FOTR. Up until then, it was a great story. During the chase, the chills went up my spine and never left until the end. For me, the movie changed from good to an instant classic the second she said "Give him to me . . ."

"I AM William Wallace" speech from Braveheart.

"You broke my heart" - Michael's death kiss to Fredo.

"Give me my hook" - Terry Malloy's walk from the union shack to the pier.

"We'll always have Paris" - Rick and Elsa at the plane.

"How many is that?" - Oskar Schindler tallying names against his fortune. Only movie I ever broke down and sobbed at and it started at this point.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
This is the first scene that came to mind when I saw the thread title. Gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. Yike.
Hey, great minds think alike, Matthew R! :)

I should add a couple of moments from one of my favorites that I just watched again, The Searchers. One is certainly the famous climactic moment between Ethan and Debbie. But the other one is early in the movie, in the scene where the Comanches are closing in on the Edwards home. Right after Martha screams at Lucy to blow out the light, there's a zoom-in on Lucy as she realizes what's about to happen to them. Her face twists into a look of sheer horror, and she lets out a terrible scream. Absolutely bone-chilling.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Poltergeist....

When they are trying to speak to Carol Anne, who is trapped on the other side.. they can hear her through the television.

they hear her voice..

carol anne "mommy there's somebody here!"

dianne "who's with you baby?"

carol anne "mommy is that you? somebody's is coming! help me!"

dianne " you bastards! she's just a baby!"

carol anne "get away from me! leave me alone! mommy!"

They hear carol anne begin to run away...as though her footsteps are coming from across the ceiling. then..

Dianne, Carol Anne's mother... begins to slowly ascend the stairs as the others in the room watch. Just then, a gust of wind bursts down the stairs, and Dianne gasps in shock.

She turns around, and exclaims to the others:

"she just moved through me! I felt her! I can smell her! .. It's my baby! She moved through my soul!"

She and the others begin to cry in joy, as they marvel at what just happened... then they hear loud, thunderous, footsteps booming across the ceiling.. following carol anne....

Then a blast, almost like a bolt of lightning, crashes down the stairs and knocks everone to the floor.

The signal from the television goes dead.

--I get goosebumps just writing it.

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
All of Halloween,the original Haunting
The "chum" scene from Jaws-you know the one!
The endings of all M.Nights films
anything Hitchcock,the last 30 mins of Unforgiven
geez too many moments!!!!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
When we see the first alien on the news in Signs.

When Bruce Lee kicks the Euro champ's ass in Return of the Dragon.

Final battle in Matrix 3.

Charger on two wheels in Fast & Furious.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have no idea where I was emotionally when this happened but tears came to my eyes once when I was watching Roman Holiday. It was the scene where the barber is cutting her hair, he spins her around and it cuts to a beautiful close up of Audrey Hepburn. I'd have to say that's the first time I ever reacted that way to a beautiful woman.

I got chills in the worst possible way in the last third segment of SALO.

And lets hear it for that great "arm shot" in REQUIEM FOR A DREAM!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far Far Away....as much anticipation for what is to come as anything

The final scenes of Moulin Rouge

When Bruce Willis character goes into the train station in Unbreakable to test his powers

When Clark Kent changes to Superman for the first time....

Kevin Costner's speech at the end of JFK just prior to the verdict. In fact, pretty much the whole last act where he explain his "theory" - regardless of its accuracy.

The "sword-throwing" at the end of Braveheart.

Verbal's description of the Keyser Soze in The Usual Suspects, and the description of his family's death "And like that....he's gone"

At the end of The Lion King when Simba climbs the Rock to accept his destiny "Remember who you are"

There are so many moments to choose from :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks