What's new

Questions about DVD Picture and Sound.... (1 Viewer)

JayKellen

Stunt Coordinator
I have an S-Video cable hooked from my tv to my dvd player, but recently, i have noticed black lines blended into the black backgrounds of loading screens and sometimes during the movie itself. These vertical lines are only in dark black colors. Also, if a movie is in 5.1, are the sounds supposed to all sound the same, like explosions for example. I just bought Terminator 3 and the whole movie was a fantastic sound experience thats for sure, but like for example Rambo II, the explosions and other effects do not sound as rich or full as other movies in 5.1. Thanks for any info anyone can give me, I appreciate it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Try a different S-video cable and see whether that makes a difference.

Also, if a movie is in 5.1, are the sounds supposed to all sound the same, like explosions for example.
Every movie is different. Each one has its own sound design. Also, the two movies you've cited are from two different eras of sound design. Rambo II was made before the era of digital 5.1 sound and was released in stereo surround. The DVD track has been remixed for 5.1, but short of recreating the soundtrack from scratch, you can't change the basic nature of the source material.

M.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Jay, Try using component video in/out puts if available. As for the sound...I also thought that all my channels were going to be equally loud when I got into DD 5.1, but you must remember that the surrounds only come alive when they are fed a signal. Not all DVD's are the same. Some are 5.1, some are not. I doubt that Rambo is. Try Saving Private Ryan, or any of the Lord of the Rings. I've found those to have very good sound. Good Luck.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks