Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I'm confused about hooking up my digital cable box

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Frank**F

Frank**F

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 07:41 AM

Specifically, the audio.

Right now the box is just hooked up to an old direct-view TV, using the traditional RF coax output to the back of the TV.

All of my new HT junk is on order/en route (hee hee!), and I'm going to go buy cables this weekend. Of course, I'm going to use the separate audio/video channels that are available.

My digital box has digital coax output, as well as L/R analog audio out.

I've read everything I can find regarding what cables connect to what, I've searched, I've lurked for weeks, and I can't figure out one thing:

If I hook up the digital coax audio, will that only provide sound on certain shows (for instance, shows with Dolby Digital)? In other words, do I need to hook up BOTH the digital line and the analog lines?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jason GT

Jason GT

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 08:21 AM

Answer:

maybe. It depends on your box, as I have heard of STBs that need an analogue connection for analogue source channels.

On the other hand, the box that I have (Motorola DCT 5100) passes all signals through digital, thus I only use the digital out on the box.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Frank**F

Frank**F

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 08:29 AM

Ah. I see. Trial and error, then. I can do that.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 01:32 AM

When I used the coax output from my Explorer 2000 cable box, I could only get a signal from those channels that were "Digital" and nothing from the others. Still haven't figured that one out, and the cable company wasn't any help. I went back to using just the analog outputs of the box, and it sounds just fine. Good Luck. Posted Image
On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
If I hook up the digital coax audio, will that only provide sound on certain shows

I have a Scientific Atlantic box. It only provides digital audio on the digital channels (100+). So, I have the analog going into my TV and then my TV's analog output going to my receiver's VCR input. I then took the digital coax from the cable box to the SAT/TV input on my receiver and specified within the receiver's setup to look at the coax input for that selection.

It's kind of a pain, but this way, I can watch everything and listen to the analog input, and, If I find something in DD I switch the receiver over to SAT/TV.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted November 15 2003 - 03:55 AM

Thanks for the hint, I changed mine and now i can enjoy the DD signals as well. Do you find that you cannot control the volume level with your cable remote when there is a DD signal? Posted Image
On The 8th Day, God Created Home Theater.