What's new

Mondo Cane Collection Box Problems (1 Viewer)

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I just got this set in the mail yesterday and was surprised to find it packaged in a box made of cheap, brittle plastic. The plastic had cracked in multiple places and the back flap would not close. I have had to return it for replacement. This is quite a disappointment considering that Blue Underground priced this product at $149.95. For that amount of money, I expect decent packaging. Has anyone else had problems with the packaging?

John Watson

Screenwriter
Most of what passes for special packaging is crap, I still laugh to think the cheap balsawood box the Wickerman came in is regarded as a collectible :frowning:

Hope you enjoy Mondo world tho, if you can at least get a box that isn't just broken...

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the plastic box was just fine; what went awry was the shrinkwrapping. Because the shrinkwrap went on hot, it caused some kind of chemical change in the box, causing it to become very brittle. The word over at Mobius is that BU is looking into making some replacement boxes; keep checking their website or email them.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I got an e-mail response from Blue Underground.

Hi Edward,
I am very sorry to hear that the package was damaged in shipping. I
understand your disappointment. I will look into this and get back to you.
Sincerely,
Blue Underground
I will wait and see what comes of this.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
For what it's worth, I got the exact same e-mail response.

If they're sending out a standard reply, it must mean it's a widespread problem, and I have faith enough in Blue Underground to correct it.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it is good to know that others have written Blue Underground and received replies. I really love this set, and don't want to take pot luck exchanging it for another copy from Deep Discount DVD, since the liklihood is that the packaging will still be damaged. At least I can enjoy these great transfers while I am waiting to see what happens. I have only watched Mondo Cane so far, but it was great. I loved the menu.

RichSL

Agent
I do hope Blue Underground will be offering replacent cases of sorts for this....as yet i'm still waiting for any kind of e-mail response from them to an e-mail i sent last week.

My case..was cracked all along the very top and the corner of the case had completely snapped off.

I contacted DVD Pacific from whom i received the boxset and according to them due to the limited nature of these sets they are unable to supply me with a replacement case so all hope really rests in BU addressing this situation.

Like you have highlighted earlier i would have expected something more sturdy for the cash that has to be outlayed to purchase this set.

I just hope with problematic instances of their last two latest releases..ie..the Circus Of Fear disc and now this..that this isn't indicating a downturn in the quality control over at BU...mind you..may give people another target as opposed to Anchor Bay.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am still amazed at how few people have slammed Blue Underground for their barebones release of Snuff. It didn't even have a menu or scene access. If this had been done by a major studio, the fanboys would have been tearing them apart, but Blue Underground is worshipped, so when they do this, the fanboys rave about what a clever thing it is. Personally, I don't count the Circus Of Fear problem, as that seems to have been a manufacturer's error, but the choice of the cheap brittle plastic for this Limited Edition set of the Mondo Cane Collection is strike two for Blue Underground. They are getting careless and exercising poor judgment. If unchecked, this will get worse, especially if fanboy worship allows egos to grow large.

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
Well, I am still amazed at how few people have slammed Blue Underground for their barebones release of Snuff. It didn't even have a menu or scene access.
thats nuts. it was a marketing gimmick. a "snuff" film would come wrapped in a brown paper bag...with no title, no artwork, no booklet, no menus, no....nothing. IMHO. the film may have been a stinker....but it's pretty easy to understand what they were trying to do. maybe it didnt work for you....but then you cant trip everybodys trigger.

my Mondo Cane box is in perfect shape. no complaints from this fanboy. yet.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
thats nuts. it was a marketing gimmick.
No it wasn't. The purpose of marketing is to increase sales. This did nothing to increase sales. Further, Blue Underground has a reputation for superb transfers and great bonus features. Not putting bonus features on such a release does not help that reputation. Releasing a DVD which runs like a VHS tape is just plain stupid. It is not clever. I couldn't care less how a real snuff film would have been released, because I am buying a DVD, not a real snuff film. Blue Underground did something extremely stupid with regard to Snuff. Since putting a menu and scene access would have offended no one, including you, Blue Underground's decision is clearly indefensible.

It is good that you at least got a box in perfect shape.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I thought it was actually cool to sort of recreate the Snuff experience. And that was definitely their intention.

My Mondo box had a small crack. I actually thought that box itself was very nice and sturdy. I think the combination of filling the box with thinpacks and shrinkwrapping it caused the problem. When filled with thinpacks, the top and bottom panels bend easier than if it had regular amarays in it.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
That is an interesting point. The weight of the thinpacks may add to the stress. But that plastic is brittle to begin with when exposed to temperature changes.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Blue Underground did something extremely stupid with regard to Snuff. Since putting a menu and scene access would have offended no one, including you, Blue Underground's decision is clearly indefensible.
For God's sake, man, the last thing the world needs is a special edition of Snuff! I had the appalling misfortune to watch the entire thing a few years ago and I can't even begin to describe how awful it was.

I'd imagine all of 40 people have bought the current DVD so far, and I seriously doubt even a 3-disc DTS director's cut would have had sales much above the mid-triple-figures. The fact they've had to implement a significant price drop mere months after releasing it speaks volumes! In my estimation, it's an extremely charitable move of Blue Underground to give the thing a new transfer and release it at all.

The problem is, Snuff is a film which is infamous for 1) it's tacked-on finale, and 2) being unwatchably crap, even among hardcore genre fans. To be honest, I'm not surprised no information about the film was put on the sleeve - rather than entice, it'd be more likely to scare potential customers away!

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
It is good that you at least got a box in perfect shape.
now I just need to keep it in good condition. I have it filed in the library like most other titles. I should never really have to pull out the entire box...just gently slip out the needed title. I do see how it could get screwed up in shipping....too damn fragile.

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Well, actually my primary complaint is that Snuff was not even given a barebones DVD treatment.Menus and scene access are expected minimums on all DVD's. Would you suggest that all companies release low demand films sans menus as scene access?

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
No, we're just saying that BU tried to do something with the disc that tied into its supposed under-the-counter status in a thematic manner. Clearly, from the extras and care that Blue Underground lavishes onto its titles (even the most socially unacceptable ones), it's not a case of laziness. They were trying to do something different. It didn't work for you. Sorry. :frowning:

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Would you suggest that all companies release low demand films sans menus as scene access?
I would suggest that when leaving off menus and scene access can function as a sly joke about a given film's release history, I have no problem with it. I'm sorry that you took it so seriously that it didn't work for you.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks