What's new

Smallville 11/12/03 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Oh, hey, another episode that's All. About. Lana. I'm so excited! Except not. Do the producers have a crush on Kristen Kreuk or something? She's bland, can't emote, and is utterly unbelievable as the girl that is Clark's first true love, so she really should be getting much less screen time. I'm really hating how the better actors in the show (Michael Rosenbaum, Alison Mack, and John Glover) are given the short shrift so we can see Lana jerking Clark around or watching the SuperMope whine to his parents. And Sam Jones III, you blink and you miss his scenes. Way to whitebread the show, fellas.

The end of last season and the beginning of this one had some promise (yay red kryptonite!), but that's dissipating now. They almost had me back with "Perry", mostly because of Michael McKean. Now, not so much. Thankfully Wednesday nights are saved by the well-written, -directed, and -acted series, "The O.C." and "Karen Sisco".

Oh, and on a side note, the HD broadcast was pixellated and full of artifacts. Thanks WB, for cutting your HD bandwidth!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I did notice all the scenes with the fast motion were peppered with the mini-pixellation effects. Didn't realized the WB turned down their HD bandwidth. Boo!

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
It's not that they turned it down, it's that they've never turned it up. Except for one or two locations (LA), The WB is broadcasting HD at ~14Mbps, rather than the usual ATSC level of ~19Mbps. AFAIK they've never really offered a satisfactory explanation for this, but they only had three shows in HD (Smallville, Everwood, and Reba) last season. This season, they've added Angel, Gilmore Girls, and that show with the hottie from "90210", if not more. They should really get their act together...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
This show is sinking so fast it makes my head spin. I realized after last week's "cover your eyes" awful stinkfest (the absolute lowest point in the series) that I really only watch this show for the macro-story and links/connections to the comics -- the eps themselves are fricken terrible. Another kryptonite monster ep with the guy who finds out Clark's secret:

ends up dead/in a coma. But really, if you watch the show, it's not much of a spoiler. It's a cliche.

If you give a guy powers, why don't they really exploit them? Beyond the fact that if you get krypto powers and aren't Clark, you turn into some immoral/amoral villain, this guy:

Can influence people by manipulating endorphins. But instead of persuading the cops to let him and Lana go, he runs away or fights them. Also, if he can control metal objects, why didn't he levitate the car out of the melted street?

The big problem is that the writers only use the flashy and obvious stuff and don't really think anything through. Why don't they let some of these people survive and really develop their powers instead of killing them off because "they know"?

And yes, as pretty as Kreuk and Welling are, they cannot do anything that makes me want to watch or listen. They have no charisma, they can't act all that well (especially Kristin), and they aren't given anything interesting to say. They keep having scenes where they're the only ones on-screen for minutes at a time, and that makes for a tortuous and painful experience. Even the scenes with Clark and his parents are ponderous and make my eyelids really heavy. I mean, why bother listening? They always say the same fricken things to each other anyway. I zone out constantly when I watch this show.

I will probably drop this show in the coming weeks and just ask my friend if anything interesting is happening at all.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I jumped in on this show last season, and was pleasantly surprised. I quit this show about three weeks back, because they were doing the same thing again with Lana and Clark, over and over and over and over. Kristin has her one acting thing...looking hurt and trying to hide it with a smile.

Not knocking a show I haven't watched in a few weeks, but it's a shame. I really liked the premise, and most of the shows I saw. The Traveller one did me in :)

Sorry to hear about the bandwidth.

Take care,
Chuck

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
It was a very schizophrenic episode. I'm intrigued by Chloe seeking help from Lex with regards to Lionel. Any scene with Chloe or Lex was fun.

But, the producers are intent on proving all the skeptics, who dubbed the show "Smallville Creek," correct. The entire Clark/Lana romance is a groaner. She's a vapid, one note character only interested in "honesty." They broke up 5 episodes ago, but every episode we hear about their relationship. It's played, move on. We're bored with it.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Back to the freak of the week plot. Wasn't amused. We have seen it all before.

Not the best episode ever but I am surprised that people are giving up on it.

What are you going to switch to, Enterprise a show that has little or no originality?
At lease Smallville is fun most of the time. I cant saw the same for Enterprise.

And yes, as pretty as Kreuk and Welling are, they cannot do anything that makes me want to watch or listen. They have no charisma, they can't act all that well (especially Kristin),
I dissagree. I think they are great together.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Asked what I do from 8-9 PM on Wednesday...I watch a movie, or read a book, or play a video game. My wife watches The West Wing at 9 PM, so I get an hour off there :)

Hey, I wanted to like the show. I did, for a while. When it was about Clark, his family, and his destiny. TOO much Lana did me in, because her character is not interesting in the least.

I enjoyed the two part premiere. Just not much after that...

Take care,
Chuck

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I'm not giving up on it. Like I said, the Chloe/Lex stuff really intrigued me. Half of the episode was great, the other half was just a yawn.

Down here in the south we call that show "The Crick." :)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Ugh! I was one of the few who liked last week's show, but last night's was baaaaad, and not in the good way. The only redeeming quality of last night's show was the Lex/Chloe story. I liked that part, but still not enough to not make it the worst episode ever.

But I'm not giving up. This is the only episode I haven't really enjoyed. I'll give them one or two crappers.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
It's played, move on. We're bored with it. >>

Agreed, either put them togethoer and fill her in on your secret, or be done with it.

I'd love an episode where she learns about the secret, something really terrible happens, and she has to make a choice on weather or not not to know about it. Could add something interesting to the show rather than the same old thing...

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I liked last weeks show.

I didn't like this weeks show.

I am looking forward to next weeks show.

In other words. Nothing of interest to talk about in this weeks show.

Chris Sigua

Stunt Coordinator
How long before the whole town is exposed to kryptonite and evryone has superpowers?:rolleyes:This storyline is getting SO old.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
What are you going to switch to, Enterprise a show that has little or no originality?
As the owner of a Tivo, Replay, and MyHD, I can switch to pretty much anything else. I gave up on Enterprise early in the first season. It was worse than Voyager!

florence franks

Stunt Coordinator
I dont know what worse this ep or fact this is only thing besides returns of Dallas that I can stand watch on TV.
This one was for 8 year olds, so will not take too personally. Remember they will grow up and ten so years being watching this ep from adult point of view :) the shock, ouch.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I agree, enough with Lana. Let's get back on track with Clark's destiny and Lex's destiny. They should have Clark see a psychic and be told, "some day you'll meet the right woman, I see the name 'Lois'".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks