What's new

South Park 11/12 - "Casa Bonita" (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Another great episode highlighting the fact that Cartman is a self-serving asshole. I enjoyed Butters singing "If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago. Only Cartman would put another human being in a refrigerator.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I suppose they could overdo these farcical Cartman revenge episodes, but I absolutely adore each one. He absolutely has no boundaries, so they are genuinely unpredictable.

I'm still waiting, however, for the moment that will eclipse the hilarity of Cartman's plan to electrocute himself with a TiVo full of History Channel programming...

"TiVo is full!"

Neil M

Stunt Coordinator
Cartman flipping Kyle off was so funny!!! He does it, then apologizes, then does it again. It was a very good episode that didn't involve some current issue. Looks like Trey and Matt still have the creativity. I'm just waiting for the Kobe rape trial episode. I know it's coming.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
As soon as Kyle told Cartman that "if for some reason Butters can't go, you can go instead," I knew it was all over for poor Butters. :laugh:

And we found out Butters' real name, too (though I forgot it already). Was that the first time it was revealed?

Perhaps he's reached a turning point. He was the one that borrowed the cell phone to send the cops after Cartman rather than waiting for another Cartman non-apology and replying, "Aw, Shucks! I guess that's OK then." :)

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
I think it was Leopold Scotch...put Butters before it and you see the joke!:)

Another great episode, by the way! :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Not as funny as previous episodes. It seemed like a one-note joke stretched to half an hour.

I guess "Cartman revenge" episodes pale if he's not making chile. ;)

Rob

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I found it particularly funny since I live next to Casa Bonita. :D

Seeing Cartman run around the place was a hoot. Not a great episode overall but it had some LOL moments.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh.. But which version of the song was Butters singing? The Chicago version or the 1997 solo Cetera version?

My best friend took me to Casa Bonita in Denver several years ago, probably around 1995/96. It's a cool place, but I didn't really like the food. It was a little bland, and the salsa tasted like Pace mixed with ketchup. (That's what I think about all the Mexican food that I've eaten outside of Texas, though.) I do wish that we could've just stayed there, because our final destination was Wyoming where the Mexican food was even worse...

I still haven't decided if South Park has "jumped the shark" or not. I can't help but think that these last couple seasons just haven't offered the sheer comedic brillaince of "Jew-Bilee" (the Moses episode) or the "Shit" episode. However, I have really enjoyed most of the episodes this season. I didn't like the direction that the Crap People episode took, but it has become one of my new favorites. The same can be said for "Christian Rock Hard", too. Even at its worse, South Park is better than 95% of the other crap on television.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think Matt and Trey might have stopped trying to push the limits and instead have returned to a more classic level of outrageousness. But the show has not jumped the shark.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I never know what to expect from Matt and Trey. One week it's political commentary, the next week it's just some ludicrous story. I love it. I think this season has been brilliant. Krazy Kripples, Fat Butt and Pancake Head, Red Man's Greed, Christian Rock Hard are all wonderful episodes.

By the way, clearly South Park jumped the shark in season 2. All the evidence is there.
I think Matt and Trey might have stopped trying to push the limits and instead have returned to a more classic level of outrageousness.
Don't count on it. You never know where they'll go next. There have been several times where I thought they could never top themselves again and been wrong.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
So does that place really have cliff divers? Odd restaurant.

And if you aren't sure if a show jumped the shark, it hasn't. It has to be one spectacularly ludicrous event that changes the show and it becomes crappy after that.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Don't count on it. You never know where they'll go next. There have been several times where I thought they could never top themselves again and been wrong.
I have no doubt that they could top themselves, my point was that they haven't been trying to do that, at least not with these new episodes so far.

Ian_Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I grew up in Cheyenne, Wyoming so I was a couple of hours away from Denver. Even in Cheyenne, EVERYBODY new about Casa Bonita! This episode had me and my sister rolling on the floor. The cliff-divers...Black-barts cave....the sopapeas (that you order with the little flag)...it was all dead on!

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't eat any sopapillas at Casa Bonita, but I did leave with a case of seguidillas... :frowning:

The show has not become crappy and there has been no definitive shark jumping moment.
Well, except for that time when Fonzi tried to jump the shark pit in Episode 411 (and didn't quite make the jump). :)

I agree that the show really hasn't jumped the shark, but there have been three phases of the show so far, and certain fans tend to gravitate toward a particular phase of the show. The first three seasons were the "Third Grade" years, where the show found its legs and hit its initial stride. The movie was released around the end of this period, and the speed of its narrative had an impact on the show.

By the fourth season, the speed of the show had greatly increased. This season, and the next, featured scripts that were up to 65 pages. For a 22 minute show, this is an insane amount of dialogue and action. In interviews, Matt and Trey said that the increased speed was intentional, but they couldn't keep that pace forever.

The current phase, marked by these last two seasons, have featured some fine episodes. But some fans miss the fast-paced action of "Trapper Keeper 2000" or "When It Hits The Fan". Some of my favorite episodes come from this last phase, but I will admit that I loved the fast pace in the beginning of the Fourth Grade years. Matt and Trey have said that they won't be returning to the hectic pace of that period, though, and I think that's why some fans might feel that the shark was indeed jumped.

The show has three main strengths that should allow it to go on for a long time IMO.

1) Less than 20 episodes are created each year. This gives them plenty of room to breath, and avoid treading over the same material.
2) The shows are produced in less than two weeks, sometimes this even includes the script. This allows them to easily spook current subjects like Paula Poundstone or Catholic priests.
3) Trey Parker. He claims that they only had one main goal in Hollywood, "Sell Out As Fast As Possible." Of course, he has yet to really sell out to any specific group. He spends an equal amount of time pissing off both Conservatives and Liberals. He takes a lot of shots at religion, but he has also equated atheism with "shit pouring out of your mouth". By being an "Equal Opportunity Hater", he keeps the focus on "humor".

I'll be watching the show until 2006 (or longer), but I can't help but feel that we'll never have an episode as perfect as the battle between Barbra Streisand and Robert Smith (The Cure) in the first season. I can laugh myself sick just thinking about Robert Smith's Mothra-inspired costume.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks