What's new

Its like I'm looking through a porch screen (1 Viewer)

Paul Fernandez

Auditioning
I just received my Toshiba 30HF83 30in. CRT HDTV. I have Cox Cable HDTV set top box. I was ready to wow my wife with the picture, but it shows up really grainy. Its not grainy like snow. It has the appearance of looking through a screen. It even appears this way on the HD channels as well as the standard channels, especially in the shadows. Is this an inherent flaw in digital cable? Is there a way to correct this? Will the quality of the cables cause this? Or, did I get a bad TV?

What's ironic is that I had my walmart RCA 27 in. with component video hooked up to the set top box and it was great. Even the local digital HD channels (of course through the composite video) looked as good as dvd.

Please tell me I can get a better picture from my new HDTV. I have the component cables going through my Harmon Kardon along with my DVD components so I can use the receiver to switch. Is this causing the problem? I'm in deep doodoo with my wife if I can't correct this. Thanks

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Somethoung sounds fishy. This probably would be better in the display forums though.

Are you describing the screen door effect? Direct view CRTs will have a pixel structure, but it will be far smaller than that on your old non-HD set, so I doubt that is what you are seeing, and the SDE is usually in reference to digital projection. Are you talking about large blocks? or a very fine mesh of pixels?

Don't know if I can be of help, but a little more description of what you are seeing might help.

Paul Fernandez

Auditioning
Yes, it does seem a little pixely. I was just watching a standard sitcom and it is very noticeable. I don't know of a different way to describe it. Its like one of those glare reducers you put over your PC monitor. You lose the glare but you also lose brightness and clarity. Exactly what is the screen door effect?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Again, your description is very vague. I can't tell if it's the video source, or something messed up in the display, or something inherent in the display, or calibration of some sort.

SDE is usually referenced in terms of the defined pixel structure of a display, which is pretty apparent on every type of display except for CRT projection. Look at a digital projector up close, and you will clearly see the pixel structure inherent in the display. A direct view CRT will also suffer this because of the defined pixels in the display that are necessary (as your set). CRT projection, however, will not have this defined pixel structure.

Regardless, you should ask in the display forums/ ask moderator to move this thread, and clarify *exactly* what you're seeing, what sources, and how it differs from your old set. Also any times you DONT see it on this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks