What's new

New guy saying hi (1 Viewer)

Brady_Sherlock

Auditioning
I just registered with HTF today even though I have been a reader for a while. I just wanted to introduce myself (I hope this is an ok spot to do that). If not, the reason I put this in here is because I have a small question too. First off here is my current set-up, nothing special but it serves me needs well;

TV - 27" Sony Wega Flat Screen
DVD - Panasonic DVD-CV52
Receiver - Yamaha HTR-5540
Center - Sony SS-CN490
Fronts - Sony SS-MF400H
Surrounds - Sony SS-MB105

Room Size - 12' x 17' (with a 12' opening to our dining room on the back wall and the 6' entrance way in the upper right corner. Not the best room but I'm no perfectionist)

(I know I went a little crazy with the Sony stuff but the TV is new and the speakers first my price range and sound plenty good for me)

Anyways here's my question...I've been holding off on a sub because I didn't have the money but after reading and reading on this forum I decided to try out the new DLS 10 a.k.a. "Tiny Mighty II." Was that a good decision? After reading how much everyone loved the original Tiny Mighty I figured it was worth a shot. Even better was the price tag, $99 on sale. Second in line was the velodyne VX-10 but I couldn't find very many reviews or comments since this one is so new. Did I make a decent choice? I figure going from no sub to this one will be a definite improvement. With the extra money I can buy a Radioshack sound meter and calibration disc too. Also there shouldn't be any trouble with me current speakers should there?

Sorry for shooting off so many questions in my first post, I just want to make sure I made a decent choice. Well I hope to hear from some of you and I'm sure I'll be around posting and giving my opinion and hopefully helping out once I get more knowledge. Thanks!

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
Not too familiar with the Tiny Might or most of your equipment for that matter, but wanted to say welcome to the forum. It is an invaluable source of information, and a fix for all of us HT addicts. Best of luck!!!

GregAV

Agent
I'd say you made a good choice, you should be pleased with the amount of bass a "C" note bought you.

I never thought a sub "that" important to DVD playback as my JBL's have 8" woofers and clean impressive sound. But adding the DLS has improved the HT experience considerably at a minimal cost.

While watching a flick with my neice she commented "It's just like at the movies" - and I grinned.

While watching a film at the local theater I noticed - My LFE is better :)

Have fun with your new purchase (I'd bet on it),

Greg

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Brady,

You have successfully completed your first step as a HT Addict... admitting your weakness and joining the HT Forum. Congratulations!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I never thought a sub "that" important to DVD playback as my JBL's have 8" woofers and clean impressive sound. But adding the DLS has improved the HT experience considerably at a minimal cost.
Agreed... a subwoofer is a must-have for any HT.

Welcome aboard, btw.

And please do post your opinions of the DLS. That's what this forum is all about.

Jared Neumann

Stunt Coordinator
Im not just saying this because I own them but if you get the time and the$$$ check out an M&K sub. I tried a few out in my home but fell in love with the m&ks now I own 3 of them total

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Let me tell you, a sub will make a BIG difference in your HT. I started off with one, and now have 5 in my system. Some might think that's a little too much, but if you want to get the real HT experience, trust me, you won't be dissapionted. There are alot of subs out there that won't break your bank account, just take your time and look. Great to see another "newbie". Good luck.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Brady. Welcome to the Forum.

Yes imo and many others/Dolby demands a sub. After hooking up your new DLS and calibrating I would be very surprised if you did not agree. You have been missing allot of material and the DLS will make your system sound much more impressive.

Considering what you have going for you the DLS is a very good decision imo. Fits your budget and leaves a little left over for a meter and calibration disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks