Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Polar Express (merged)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 05:33 AM

Here is a link to the official site with a teaser trailer:

http://www.apple.com..._polar_express/

I won't spoil the surprise, just click it!
Looks promising to me.

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Felipe S

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 07:08 AM

hehe, that actually looks like Tom Hanks Posted Image

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,672 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 12 2003 - 07:12 AM

I don't know. Computer-generated people just give me the creeps. I don't think I could watch a full-length movie with animated "real" people.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 07:25 AM

oh WOW!

It seems clear to me after seeing that trailer (I watched it twice, I love how the steam escapes the radiator like awhistle on a train!) that WB will have the two top Grossing films of the year. The only question is, will Harry Potter or Polar Express be bigger?

edit: I forgot about The Incredibles, but I wouldn't be surprised if both grossed similar amounts (ie 280mil plus), it's too bad both are scheduled for November, but I imagine one will take the first week and another will take thanksgiving

Adam

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,186 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 07:31 AM

Is this based on the children's book? When I was in 3rd grade, I loved all the books that the author of this one did (he also did Jumanji). Wonderful pictures in those books.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   TyC

TyC

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 07:34 AM

Another film tries to imitate a favorite book from childhood. Posted Image
"I HATE WIDESCREEN! I HATE THE BLACK BARS!!!"
"You are like the little kid that trades dimes for nickels because nickels are larger."

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 09:41 AM

Wow, they finally figured out that you have to animate natural human quirks/ticks to make them not only look realistic but move realistic. Looks like this could be an incredible movie. I like that the Incredibles is taking a more cartoonish/stylistic approach to the humans since they are both coming out at the same time. Adds variety.

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   JasonB

JasonB

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 12:59 PM

The trailer looks VERY impressive!

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator

• 151 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 04:01 AM

This is another book that to me seems pretty hard to stretch into a feature length movie - the book has very little text and it's about a 5 minute story to read.

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 04:52 AM

Quote:
Wow, they finally figured out that you have to animate natural human quirks/ticks to make them not only look realistic but move realistic.

I believe this was done like Waking Life -- animated from actual source footage.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 04:57 AM

I guess this will make Tom Hanks the undisputed champion of CGI acting Posted Image

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   BrianShort

BrianShort

Supporting Actor

• 934 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 08:00 AM

Quote:
This is another book that to me seems pretty hard to stretch into a feature length movie - the book has very little text and it's about a 5 minute story to read.

I stopped by the library today and read the whole book on my morning break. You're right, it took all of 5 minutes. Even if you just took the book and made a fairly literal translation (no extra dialogue, just what's there + narration, animation based on individual illustrations in the book), I can't see the movie being much longer than 15 minutes or so.
I'll be very interested to see how they stretch this out into something 80-90 minutes long.
One thing I was struck by as I was looking through the book is how well the CGI animation matches what is in the first few pages of the book.

Brian

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,370 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 13 2003 - 08:15 AM

Quote:
One thing I was struck by as I was looking through the book is how well the CGI animation matches what is in the first few pages of the book.
That's it exactly. This doesn't like CG per say. It feels like animated paintings, done in the style of the book.

I liked it.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 12:32 PM

Let's hope it does better than the all computer generated movie Final Fantasy.

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,186 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 01:08 PM

The thing I liked about Ice Age so much was that the visual style was very offbeat, more like it was hand-drawn instead of CGI. This movie looks to be the same thing in the opposite way; it looks like art, but not CGI.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Charles Coates

Charles Coates

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 05:40 PM

Quote:
I believe this was done like Waking Life -- animated from actual source footage.

WAKING LIFE was not animated... they just digitally painted over each frame of live action footage.

Animation is creating an inanimate object, weather it be on paper, or in a 3d program, and animating it by "hand"

Oh.. and all the CG in POLAR EXPRESS looks great.. exept the humans. I also don't believe they can take a book that short, and stretch it into a feature film.. but we'll see!

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 05:52 PM

Quote:
WAKING LIFE was not animated... they just digitally painted over each frame of live action footage. Animation is creating an inanimate object, weather it be on paper, or in a 3d program, and animating it by "hand"

Then this isn't animated either, because they're shooting digital video with motion capture sensors on the actors.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 06:16 PM

I remember this book as a kid and how cool it was. Now, years later, I'm excited for a film based on this book. I loved the visuals in the trailer, so I'm hoping the movie is just the same.

AJG
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 06:34 PM

that's funny I remember this as being the longest 'picture' book ever to read, I think it would take my mom and I nearly thirty to fortyfive minutes to go through it. Of course we were drinking in the glorious art work. We actually have two hardcovers of this, because our first is worn out and my mom bought a new one last year. Posted Image

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Charles Coates

Charles Coates

Agent

• 37 posts

Posted November 13 2003 - 07:37 PM

Quote:
Then this isn't animated either, because they're shooting digital video with motion capture sensors on the actors

Really? I guess thats why the humans look so freaky. I really hope they put some naimation in them, or else it will be FINAL FANTASY all over again!

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow