Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Goonies 2 News!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   SarahG

SarahG

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 03:25 AM

From Coming Soon:

Quote:
Timeline director Richard Donner, who helmed the 1985 classic The Goonies, and Steven Spielberg, who executive produced it and co-wrote the script with "Harry Potter" series director Chris Columbus, have purchased a sequel script and are pushing to get it made.

Full article here: http://www.comingsoo...ews.php?id=2278
Fish are Friends, not Food!

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,679 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 12 2003 - 03:31 AM

I thought Chunk wasn't chunky anymore? Is he going to bulk up for the role? Posted Image

Not sure how I feel about this. "The Goonies" was one of my fave flicks in the mid-80's, but watching the DVD wasn't as much fun as I remember. The curse of growing up, I suppose. Posted Image
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 08:18 AM

Hearing the (supposed) plot synopsis didn't make the news very promising. Apparently, Short Round... err, I mean Data, is running his own electronics shop and because of his 'wacky dialect' refers to the 'Goonies' as 'Groonies.' Thus the name of the new film. And there is a young group of 'groonies' and the old original 'goonies.' Is it just me, or is that not only contrived but slightly offensive?

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   David Fisher

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 10:09 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. There have been rumors about G2 for over a full decade. At one time it was going to be a "vehicle" for the return of the two Coreys, in addition to the crew of the first film. And then it was going to be a new group of kids for a new generation of film-watchers. Now we have a combination of the two. Good luck, I want to see it happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
"Keep watch over absent meaning."
--Maurice Blanchot

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter

• 1,745 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 10:15 AM

Err... I don't know what to think. The wacky dialect thing - it just sounds bad. I'd rather have Joey Pants and his brothers return for revenge on the now grown up Goonies... better yet, I think I'd rather they leave well enough alone.
This message ends with Todd.

Hey kid you got no class. Hit the bums, kid. Run like the devil. Get a tin can and take up mooching. Knock on back doors for a nickel.
Tell them your story. Make 'em weep. You could have been a meat-eater, kid. But you didn't listen to me when I laid it down.
Stay off...

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Screenwriter

• 2,417 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 01:25 AM

So is this movie still going to be made, or did it get canned ?
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted May 25 2004 - 02:43 AM

It's not looking good according to Dark Horizons

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 03:29 AM

Looks like they're going ahead with an animated sequel which will bring back the original group as well as their own kids. I wonder if this will get a theatrical release? With Spielberg producing, maybe a CGI sequel (ala. Monster House)

http://www.empireonl...y.asp?NID=21309

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted October 23 2007 - 05:35 AM

I'd like to see an animated Goonies.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted August 04 2008 - 04:13 PM

Moviehole. Caffeinated Clint : 4/8/08

Quote:
I’ve a big-time scoop for all you loyal “Caffeinated Clint” fans (the rest of you, probably over at Hollywood Elsewhere, won’t be able to hear it – so ‘nerrrrr’!) today.

A very, very, very good source – if I revealed his name, you’d know straight away this was a solid bit of news – informed me a few days ago that “the sequel Corey Feldman has been telling media will never happen”, one “Goonies 2”, is indeed… happening. (And I don't blame the Felddog for assuming it's never going to happen either - this one's been rumoured longer than the talking fridge).

Now I don't know when it's going to happen, because it has been on the drawing boards for a good decade now ("Star Trek" and "Transformers" scribe Robert Orci told me today that he was involved in a draft in about 1998), but it does seem to be inching forward.

So what have I been told? well, Warner Bros are finally going to give it the respect it deserves – this will be a large-scale theatrical release.. a tentpole. It will not be a direct-to-video release.

(A source at Warner Bros has since confirmed this - saying they are developing it as a major movie, but won't share anything other than that. Nothing we didn't already know though)

We've been told that there are writers on the project - and they're being paid rather nicely for their services too – so it’s doubtful the script will be used as merely a place mat to hold Alan Horn’s sandwich. But god I hope they don't fuck this bitch up - "The Goonies" is one childhood memory I don't want butt-assaulted.

I’ve no idea what the script is about, nor do I know how far into the script the writers are, but we're told that it’ll apparently involve some of the original cast - I doubt Josh Brolin will return though; and even if he was keen, would Warner want to pay him the hefty fee he now gets? Doubtful – and some new cast members. I can’t imagine ‘all’ of the original “Goonies” coming back, can you? I’d think Corey Feldman, Sean Astin and, er, Short-Round would be the most likeliest recruits for a reprise… if only because they haven’t disappeared off-the-map (Martha Plimpton where art thou? Keri Green… does she still act?). You never know, ‘Chunk’ might even get a call too – but he’s not very ‘Chunky’ anymore (dude dropped half his weight!), so Jonah Hill will probably step into that character’s shoes. Hollywood - gotta love it.

But there you have it, after years and years of rumours – and even some attempts to get the film up by original director Richard Donner – “The Goonies 2” will soon be a reality. I’m expecting the trades to report this soon enough….. and, of course, pretend that we didn’t say it first.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 04 2008 - 07:54 PM

With the state of Hollywood today i'm surprised they're doing a sequel rather than a remake.

How do we know that Key Hu Kwan and Jeff Cohen can even still act as adults? They haven't done anything for years on screen.

My point is getting them could end up being detrimental to this thing rather than help it.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,904 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 05 2008 - 12:19 AM

It would interesting if they could pull this off...something that would appeal to nostalgic adults and their kids. Good luck!

I was a little too old for the original and avoided it. Finally caught it late 80s or early 90s and thought it was great! I still like the original even though I'm in my 40s.

Animated is definitely a great way to go. My guess is this will materialize as a TV show instead of a feature film.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted August 05 2008 - 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
With the state of Hollywood today i'm surprised they're doing a sequel rather than a remake.

How do we know that Key Hu Kwan and Jeff Cohen can even still act as adults? They haven't done anything for years on screen.

My point is getting them could end up being detrimental to this thing rather than help it.

I totally agree. I usually don't go for remakes but one in this case makes perfect sense. Grab some new kid actors, throw in some new pirate mystery and some baddies and if done right with a good script, you'd have a $100 million dollar B.O. take.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   Pete-D

Pete-D

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted August 06 2008 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw
I totally agree. I usually don't go for remakes but one in this case makes perfect sense. Grab some new kid actors, throw in some new pirate mystery and some baddies and if done right with a good script, you'd have a $100 million dollar B.O. take.

In this case you could also have Feldman and some others appear in cameos I guess.

If they wanted to do a sequel ... I dunno, I think it's a little long in the tooth now. 7 or 8 years ago would've been a good time.

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Todd H

Todd H

Screenwriter

• 2,065 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted August 07 2008 - 12:49 AM

Tron 2. Goonies 2. It's like I'm 12 again. What's next? Wargames 2? Ferris Bueller Takes Another Day Off?

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,904 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted August 07 2008 - 12:52 AM

^^^

Don't forget Seventeen Candles and The Lunch Club. Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Screenwriter

• 2,116 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd H
Tron 2. Goonies 2. It's like I'm 12 again. What's next? Wargames 2? Ferris Bueller Takes Another Day Off?
/htf/images/misc/wikipedia.gif WarGames 2: The Dead Code

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 07 2008 - 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd H
Ferris Bueller Takes Another Day Off?

Hey, don't knock it, i've been waiting years for a sequel to that one lol. Posted Image

Actually, i've wanted a sequel to The Breakfast Club too, I always thought it would be funny if John Bender became a cop or something like that.
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted August 07 2008 - 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
Hey, don't knock it, i've been waiting years for a sequel to that one lol. Posted Image

Me too. I remember the rumours in the mid to late 90s regarding a sequel where Ferris is now working a 9-5 job and decides to skip a day at work.

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,679 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted August 08 2008 - 05:18 AM

I'd like a Gremlins 3. One that returns to the horror/comedy roots, rather than the complete Airplane-like slapstick of G2.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow