Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Miyazaki ANIME: The Cat Returns (Neko no Ongaeshi)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 12:29 AM

Anyone else seen this? I had the opportunity to see it recently, when a friend rented it from a local import video store. It had a Dolby Digital and DTS track if I remember correctly.

It was Soooo funny, and if you're a fan of anything directed or Produced by Hayao Miyazaki, you'll surely love this as well. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of this. This is a keeper!

Posted Image

More INFO here

and here's a site in Thai, although it does have some great images

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   RafaelB

RafaelB

Second Unit

• 448 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 12:51 AM

Hey Scott-

I'm such a Miyazaki/Ghibli-head that I've ordered it, but have only been able to watch the first 20 minutes. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far and anticipate watching the rest of the movie. The one thing that did crack me up was the "Ghiblies Episode 2" short on there. Very Japanese and very funny.

Glad to hear someone else enjoying it. Posted Image

Rafael

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 01:55 AM

oh... I didn't get a chance to see that short! Posted Image DAngit!

The movie as a whole was funny, I really enjoyed it. Posted Image In fact I enjoy almost every Miyazaki/Ghibli movie I see. There's just a special quality to the worlds that they create, and it really feels good to be a part of it for a brief time. I seriously wish I could live inside some of those settings, with the gentle winds, great looking food, and awesome landscapes. Everything is lush and green. It's really nice to see once in a while, yet hard to explain how much I like it all.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 03:16 AM

Neko no ongaeshi wasn't directed by Miyazaki (he serves as a producer), but by newcomer (to directing) Hiroyuki Morita. Morita-san has also been an animator on a number of other Ghibli projects.

Miyazaki's last film (directed or produced) was supposed to have been Mononoke Hime, but because of the failure of Hohokekyo tonari no Yamada (My Neighbors the Yamadas) in 1999... he has yet to hand off the reigns.

The next Miyazaki directed film is coming next year in the form of Howl's Moving Castle which he took over after the previous director couldn't handle the pressure. Might be his last... but ya never know with this wiley guy Posted Image

If you'd like to buy the DVD of The Cat Returns, I suggest the Region 3 (Hong Kong) versions of the Ghibli movies. They have Dolby Digital / DTS, all the features of the Japanese discs, and english subtitles... all for half the price! ^_^ /

The retailer I use for HK/Jpn discs is www.yesasia.com.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Scott_Jua

Scott_Jua

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 03:51 AM

I knew he didn't direct it, but I figured if I put Morita in the subject line people would say "Que" and skip over it. I did mention that he produced it... well sort of in a round about way. Posted Image

I wish I had an all region player... what do you use to watch them? I watched this HK version DVD at a friends house who had an all region player. So I didn't bother checking to see if it would work in my home.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 03:53 AM

[quote] Might be his last... but ya never know with this wiley guy. [quote]

Well, there was a rumor that he was working with John Lassiter on something for Pixar, but I don't know how true that rumor is...

Jason

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 05:08 AM

I use an HTPC with an unlocked drive.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Tim Fleming

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator

• 118 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 08:25 AM

Rob Lutter said:

[quote] If you'd like to buy the DVD of The Cat Returns, I suggest the Region 3 (Hong Kong) versions of the Ghibli movies. They have Dolby Digital / DTS, all the features of the Japanese discs, and english subtitles... all for half the price! ^_^ / [quote]

Actually, I would not recommend going for the HK release of The Cat Returns as it apparently does not contain the Ghiblis Episode 2 which in itself makes purchasing the more expensive Japanese release worthwhile.
"If we are all God's children, then what is so special about Jesus?"

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 08:28 AM

Oh, good point Posted Image

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 10:35 AM

I bought the Region 2 edition a couple of months back. I thought it was really excellent stuff and I thouroughly enjoyed it. The movie can be taken as a vague sequel to the earlier 'Whisper of the Heart' but you don't need to have seen that movie to appreciate TCR ( the character of the Baron appeared in a fantasy sequence in WOTH ).
I especially liked the soundtrack. I find that Japanese movies often have superb soundtracks!
As for Ghiblies 2... weird but enjoyable Posted Image

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Kong Chang

Kong Chang

Screenwriter

• 1,632 posts

Posted November 12 2003 - 10:42 AM

Well, it is a sequel to Whisper of the Heart (mimi wo sumaseba), since two of the prime characters, the Baron and Moon, crossed over to this new movie. Posted Image I also bought it when it first came out on DVD. What a great investment. Wonderful movie too. Those who didn't show up at our anime club during the summer break lost out. We may not show it again....hahaha.

I can't wait for Howl's Castle which comes out in 2004.

Hehehe, Rob, I knew you shouldn't buy the HK disc for some reason or other. ;P
Format Neutral Advocater
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-XA2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users