What's new

*** Official LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
I have recently been seeing a lot of commercials for this questionably-titled movie, and sadly, they have all been screaming...crap. But I have been known to be wrong(on occasion) and Steve Martin can sometimes save a bad movie, although not in the case of Bringing Down the House...ugh. Fact is, though, I have not really heard anything about it from HTF folk. So, what do YOU think? Crap, or megacrap?

Kyle:D

Geoffrey_A

Second Unit
It looks like crap to me. I hope I'm wrong. What I would prefer to see is a Looney Tunes movie where it's all animated. I don't really understand why they feel the need to cram the Looney Tunes into the real world. It didn't work in Space Jam, why would they try it again? It's not that the idea is without merit, I'd just prefer to see an animated Looney Tunes movie as opposed to an animated/live action blend.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I don't really understand why they feel the need to cram the Looney Tunes into the real world. It didn't work in Space Jam, why would they try it again?
Because the Looney Tunes aren't a big box office draw. You need big names like Brendan Fraser and Steve Martin and ... Jenna Elfman.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I never saw Space Jam but I have seen Back in Action. It's surprisingly not all that bad. The plot is a bit of a mess but overall it's a fun film for both kids and adults.

Look for my review at the address below on Friday.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
What I would prefer to see is a Looney Tunes movie where it's all animated.
How about one that's up to the standards of the original cartoons? One that tells a good story WITHOUT a lot of redundant verbal exposition?

Pixar might be able to pull this off -- either as a film, or as a film-length collection of new cartoons.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
The problem is that there were something like 1,000 Looney Tunes shorts produced over the years. Just about everything that could be done, has been done with those characters. Not saying that it's impossible to make a good Looney Tunes movie, just that it's a way uphill battle to not repeat, or look tired.

George See

Second Unit
although not in the case of Bringing Down the House...ugh
I agree with the ugh, but oddly enough the only thing that stopped me from turning this movie off was just to see what Steve was gonna do next. I wouldn't say he saved the movie, but he stopped me from turning it off at least.

Glad to hear Back In action was fun, I can't wait to read the full review. But please I gotta know will the movie satisfy the Marvin the Martien fan in me? In other words did he have any screen time?
It almost has to be better than Space Jam just by default.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Seriously though i think worldwide Bugs Bunny is prolly a bigger name then those three. I mean it's Bugs Bunny.
I agree. Whether studio heads agree is another matter. While my post was a joke, I wouldn't be surprised if the thinking indeed was to give the film some star power.

Mark - I hope you're right. THe one thing that gives me hope is that, if anyone is the right person to make this, Joe Dante is that person.

By the way, is it true that a Dalek makes an appearance in the film?

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Glad to hear Back In action was fun, I can't wait to read the full review. But please I gotta know will the movie satisfy the Marvin the Martien fan in me? In other words did he have any screen time?
Marvin is in the movie. Other then Bugs and Daffy most of the other characters have limited screentime. Marvin's only in it for a couple minutes but his scene is fairly interesting and funny.

Pretty much all of the characters show up. I'm by no means a Looney Tunes expert but I recognized a lot of the characters and can't think of any one major they missed.

M.

George See

Second Unit
Brennan your scaring me. :rolleyes

Space Jam wasn't that bad, I don't regret watching it...but it needed more classic looney tunes moments and less uhmmm I dunno Michael Jordan sports underdogs movie moments.....something like that. If i want the feel good sports movie i'll throw in a copy of Hoosiers works for me everytime.

Marvin is in the movie. Other then Bugs and Daffy most of the other characters have limited screentime. Marvin's only in it for a couple minutes but his scene is fairly interesting and funny.
Made my day thanks :D

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It really looks like it will be a lot of fun.

It's a Joe Dante film, has animation direction by Eric Goldberg, has Joe Alaskey doing the voices for Bugs and Daffy, is a PANAVISION movie apparently, and has a great cast.

I hope it's as good as it looks.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think the Looney Tunes characters are too one dimensional to ever be used in a feature length movie: fully animated or animation/live action.

The characters and their personalities were designed for six minute shorts and that is where they work the best. I watched SPACE JAM and it definitely showed the limitations of the characters in a sustained storyline.

Disney's characters such as Mickey Mouse can be adapted to a longer format film a little easier, because old man Walt always stressed story first. The Looney Tunes characters were designed for slapstick, sight gag comedy.

I hope I turn out to be wrong, but when I looked at the trailer for the latest film the same feeling of a round peg being pounded into a square hole hit me.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
How about one that's up to the standards of the original cartoons? One that tells a good story WITHOUT a lot of redundant verbal exposition?
There isn't much in the way of verbal exposition. Most of the story is told through gags. Infact there isn't much of a story at all.

Full Review is done and ready to be posted. However I'm embargoed untill Friday.

Feel free to ask any questions though. I'm not a Looney Tunes expert though.

George See

Second Unit
The Looney Tunes characters were designed for slapstick, sight gag comedy.
Well that brings up an interesting question, if Jim Carrey can do an ace ventura movie and sustain thru out a full length movie...is there really that much difference between some of his characters in movies and the looney toons? I'm not so sure that there is. Is there a substantial leap between an ace ventura carrying a movie and a bugs bunny carrying a movie? It would be really interesting if a poll was done at the exit of this film in some of the theaters asking the audiences which parts you liked best. The completly animated character scenes, the Human only scenes, or the scenes that mix the two.

What about you Mark how would you answer that question?

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Space Jam might not have worked, but Who Framed Roger Rabbit? certainly did.
Which reminds me, we're long overdue for a number of new short cartoons featuring the antagonists Donald Duck and Daffy Duck. (Imagine the sounds of a three-way fight between Daffy, Donald, and Yosetime Sam...)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
A tidbit I picked up last night on Conan. Brendan Fraser did the voice of the Tazmanian Devil. The producers overheard his imitation one day and found it to be just about right. His imitation last night certainly sounded a lot like Taz although I doubt very much Taz would have farted in a family picture. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks