What's new

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY on the Big Screen! (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY - The Restored Version - on the Big Screen!

Yes, this Saturday's Big Screen Classics presentation (11:30am on November 15th at the historic Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, New York) is the Sergio Leone widescreen epic THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY. More information is below.

THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY - The Restored Version
Clint Eastwood reprises his role as "The Man with No Name" in one of the best of the "spaghetti westerns". Here he searches for a cache of stolen Civil War gold against rivals "Angel Eyes" (Lee Van Cleef), a ruthless bounty hunter, and Tuco (Eli Wallach), a Mexican bandit. Director Sergio Leone utilizes the ultra-wide Techniscope frame in unique ways, characters frequently can't see the obvious because we - the audience - can't see it either. Combine Tonino Delli Colli's stunning photography with Leone's mythical representation of the American West and stir in Ennio Morricone's amazing, iconic, music score and you get an immensely rich and entertaining western for the ages. If you've only seen this one on video or television, you haven't really seen it! Music by Ennio Morricone; Cinematography by Tonino Delli Colli; Produced by Alberto Grimaldi; Screenplay by Age-Scarpelli, Luciano Vincenzoni & Sergio Leone; Directed by Sergio Leone. 1967, Techniscope & Technicolor, approx. 180 minutes, an MGM release of a United Artists picture.

NOTE ON THIS RESTORED FULL-LENGTH VERSION:
In 2003, MGM Studios, in association with Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, and producer Alberto Grimaldi, painstakingly restored the original 3-hour version using 14 minutes that had been cut for the American release in 1967. Since the edited sequences had never before been dubbed into English, MGM's archivist John Kirk had Eastwood, Eli Wallach and voice artist Simon Prescott (substituting for the late Lee Van Cleef) come into the studio to re-voice their dialogue. The picture elements have also been completely remastered from the original Techniscope negatives and the sound has been remixed into Dolby Stereo. We are proud to present the full-length restored version of THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY courtesy of Latanya Taylor at MGM Repertory.

Presented in 35mm Techniscope and Dolby Stereo on Saturday, November 15th, at 11:30 am at the Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, NY, 845-369-8234; Ticket Price - $6.00. Doors open at 11:00 am - be sure to come early and hear Jeff Barker play the Lafayette's Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre Pipe Organ for your pre-show enjoyment. For further information, please visit our website at Big Screen Classics

NEXT ATTRACTION:
November 22 - Walt Disney's 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA - starring James Mason, Kirk Douglas and Peter Lorre; presented in CinemaScope

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I want to see this soooo bad!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Pete, does this new soundtrack incorporate any of the surround speakers? I was at the theatre a few weeks ago, and heard your new sound system with the Lord of the Rings trailer. I'm not used to hearing such dynamic audio in a 75+ year old movie theatre!

I can't wait to see (and hear) this new print.

Bob

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes it does, Bob. The print is marked (and inspecting the track confirms it) as being in Dolby Stereo (surround). MGM/UA remixed it from the original stems (and may have goosed up some of the sounds - I'll have to listen closely in the run-through tomorrow) for this restoration.

I just got back from installing a new 'scope lens set up there, now we've got a brighter, sharper, and un-cropped 'scope presentation!

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
My God!. This Tremendous classic is unspooling in a theater in New York just as I am writing this.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. I envy all those people who live in New York. Is it coming to South Florida or any other parts of the country?

Carlos

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Missed it becuase I was in Florida - how'd it go?
Very well, thank you. We had a nice crowd and the print looked and sounded great.

This week: Walt Disney's 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA in CinemaScope! A restored print direct from Buena Vista - should look marvelous.

sheldon M.

Stunt Coordinator
I think the scene where Tuco runs around the graveyard looking for the right grave is one of the greatest scenes ever filmed in a western. The music during that scene-titled "The Ecstacy of Gold" on the soundtrack-is simply awesome. Great movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks