What's new

Matrix: Revolutions on DVD by Christmas? (1 Viewer)

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if there are any other posts about this but I thought everyone would like to know there is a rumor that the last Matrix installment might be on dvd by Christmas.

This is from ign.com:

http://filmforce.ign.com/matrix/arti.../458822p1.html
-----------------------------------------------------------
November 11, 2003 - When is a film that grosses $85 million in its opening weekend considered a disappointment? When you're Warner Brothers and the film is Matrix Revolutions, the third and final(?) installment in the popular Matrix trilogy.

While the film posted the third highest opening box office total for a Wednesday open, the studio expected the film to come in at number 1. The $85 million in box office receipts from Wednesday to Sunday fell well below expectations as did the $200 million internationally. Like most films in release today, copies of the movie appeared in various Internet groups just hours after the film opened, causing more concern for the studio.

Worried that the time to make money from the franchise may be running out faster than expected, representatives for Warner Home Video contacted some of the major video retailers and rental outlets on Monday to let them know that Revolutions may be coming home a lot sooner than expected. Early January was mentioned but if the box office continues to drop at its current pace, Matrix Revolutions could hit DVD before Christmas.

Adding insult to injury, a possibility was mentioned to one video dealer that the studio may try putting together a 3-movie boxed set for Christmas if Revolutions is released in time to show up in your holiday stocking. According to one video dealer that spoke to IGN FilmForce on condition of anonymity, "Warners is afraid that Revolutions won't sell very well because of the word of mouth on the movie. The only way to make the money on sell-through is to package it with the other two." The retailer went on to say that the number of requests for the film have dropped significantly since the film's opening day.

The big test for the film will be how it fares in its second weekend, when it will be up against the Russell Crowe starrer, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, a film that has been getting extremely positive reviews and advance word of mouth.

Representatives for Warner Home Video would neither confirm nor deny the information but a source at Warners did confirm that a meeting about the DVD release for Matrix Revolutions did occur on Monday. If the film is released early to DVD, we should be hearing an announcement within weeks. Stay tuned.
----------------------------------------------------------

Personally I wouldn't mind having this by Christmas...as I really enjoyed the movie.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
However, if they package it only with the other two, that's a no sale if they are all the same releases as before. This whole article strikes me as goofy. Is Warner really that scared? This movie did extremely well, and it will do well on DVD.

Consider this:
Paramount releases The Godfather and Indiana Jones both as trilogies only. No individual releases. Granted, these are all old releases and it was the first time they are available on DVD. I don't mind shelling out for the whole enchilada.

Now, if Warner was to try the same thing with the Matrix, it would fall on it's face. Consider a person like me who bought The Matrix along with my first DVD player. I also purchased Reloaded a month ago. Now another month from now they are going to tell me that the only way I can get Revolutions is to rebuy Reloaded (which I will have had for just 2 months at the time) and the original Matrix.

The only way I would even consider this is if this release was the mega box set with and unheard of amount of extras. Logic would say that being only a month of Revolution's theatrical release, they haven't had the time to put that kind of a set together.

No, after typing all that, I can see that Warner would make one of the stupidest moves in a long time if they were to try forcing a box set on us.

My one question was whether they would release a fairly slim disc (extras wise) like the first two and then do the Mega boxset, or just go straight to the box-set. My guess would be the former, so they can milk it for all it's worth.

Now, whether we will get an individual Revolutions release by Christmas is anyone's guess. I would have to say no. The Matrix is getting enough attention right now with the theatrical release. Spread that attention out a little and release the DVD next April or May. Plus, by then, people will have forgotten the bad reviews of Revolutions. If someone hears something bad and then sees the DVD a month later, they may still remember.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
This is an absurd story and IGN should feel remiss for printing it. I can feel quite confident when I say that there's no way we'll see Matrix Revolutions before year's end. It will probably hit early spring, think March or April.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Producer Joel Silver even commented that Revolutions would hit in the Spring with a box set later in the fall. It would be awesome to have this on DVD by Christmas but this isn't the Bizarro Universe...at least I don't think it is :D.

I'm sick and tired of the media bashing Matrix. They were all willing to plaster it all over covers and whatnot but they just trash the hell out of it for no reason. I can understand why some people wouldn't like the sequels but it just seems like the media is nitpicking every little flaw. Am I the only one seeing this?

I've already paid and seen Revolutions twice, planning on seeing it again this weekend. I know for sure this one's not getting bad word of mouth from me or any of my friends.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
This is not meant as a "threadcrap," or otherwise, but the sequels greatly lack in writing, story, and quality of the first film. I believe there is good reason to criticize the sequels. All the effort appeared to focus strictly on the special effects --- unfortunately, a common theme in too many movies these days.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
85 million not enough! That's absurd. I think it will hit 200 million before Christmas. There is GOOD word of mouth on this movie, not bad.

Blu

Screenwriter
I enjoyed both sequels and would love to have Revolutions before Christmas!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Joel Silver already said work was underway on a mega box with a new transfer for the original, the scenes filmed for the video game, and more. I hope this rumor is bogus, as rushing out a box set would be absolutely foolish, and there's no way I'm gonna be purchasing these until the box set Silver spoke of is released.

That said, IGN wouldn't publish this without something to stand on, and it fits the insane piracy paranoia that has grabbed hold of the industry.

I've held out purchasing Reloaded due to the promise of a box set (with hopefully better extras as opposed to commercials) and the promise of said set containing a new transfer for the original film. I love all three, and will gladly buy a box of the trilogy, but only one done right, and NOT rushed.

Lev-S

Second Unit
Revolutions was just a bad movie. For the end all argument to this, refer to this review. (I loved Reloaded BTW).

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=matrix3

To me, Revolutions was long, boring, VERY poorly written and acted, and not very logical in it's ending (the machines want peace eh? WHY???).
Overall, a bummer. The Zion war was cool though.:emoji_thumbsup:

EricW

Senior HTF Member
while this movie hasn't performed commerically as well as many thought or hoped, it's not like this movie was much more expensive than most other blockbusters. it's still going to make ALOT of money.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Lev-S... you may want to consider spoiler tags when posting the ending or key plot lines from a movie. Not everyone has seen it yet.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
I'm sick and tired of the media bashing Matrix
Same here. it is getting ridiculous.

As for Revolutions before xmas: YES PLEASE but very very unlikely. xmas schedule is so packed that I don'tt hink theer will be much space for revolutions.

LEV-S PLEASE use the spoiler function when writing about the end of a film!!!!!!!

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
The opening weekend was 45% off of Reloaded.

I think that is scaring them.... These films have already made money, but the repeat viewings is what they want.

Naturally most people who saw Reloaded will see Revolutions just to see how the story ends. A lot of people, like me, will not see it again in the theater. Some will. I dont think Revolutions is going to reach the same high that Reloaded did in the US.

I want super editions of these dvds to hit that has all the info and commentary on the movies. The commentary from the brothers alone would have me selling off old copies in order to upgrade.

I dont see how they could put together much of a DVD in order to beat the 25th, unless they have already been working on it.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
I loved Revolutions and would love to have it for Christmas time. I don't care if its barebones, I just want to have it to view again and again.
Sometime down the line when they do the super-duper trilogy set, I'll most likely buy then also.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I'm sure the DVD is already done. Pixar finished the Finding Nemo DVD before the movie hit theaters! DVD special features are planned from the time pre-production work begins. The only reason to stall on releasing the DVD is if they think more money is to be made in keeping it in the theaters. This coming weekend may be the decision-maker. I imagine a 60% or more decrease in gross ticket sales. How many Reloaded DVDs were sold? Over 10 million yet? That is a nice chunk of change that the studio wants to maximize for Revolutions. I think spreading out the release of the single movie and the super-duper box will make purchasing the box set next fall easier to swallow too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If one of you had reported the post in question about no spoiler tags, the situation could've been corrected a lot sooner.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks