-

Photo
- - - - -

My Theater Pictures

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#41 of 57 richard_v

richard_v

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 09:47 AM

Richard, I would like to know how you framed the arc over the stage. I would like to do the same in my theater, I looked at the pics but you don't have any when it was framed. I you have the plans that would be even better.

Thanks!

Pix have been added!

#42 of 57 Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted November 26 2003 - 12:40 PM

Thanks richard_v that helps out a lot.

#43 of 57 Clay M

Clay M

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted December 18 2003 - 02:38 AM

Absolutely beautiful. Framing on my HT and basement starts in 2 weeks. Seeing stuff like this has me drooling (and changing my mind alot about what I want things to look like hehe).

#44 of 57 Greg Welch

Greg Welch

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 11:14 AM

Rich,

Your theater looks amazing!

Can you give us the specs, rooms size, screen size? Also, what steps were the best/worst. From your photos it seems like the drywall and mud phase was not much fun.

Nicely done!

Greg.

#45 of 57 Chris Cash

Chris Cash

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 12:30 PM

Are you going to put anymore pics up of your seating and speaker placement?

~C.C.~

#46 of 57 JohnGil

JohnGil

Stunt Coordinator

• 65 posts

Posted December 19 2003 - 02:42 PM

Absouluty a great looking theater. Great job!

#47 of 57 Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator

• 191 posts

Posted December 21 2003 - 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by: Greg Welch
Rich,

Your theater looks amazing!

Can you give us the specs, rooms size, screen size? Also, what steps were the best/worst. From your photos it seems like the drywall and mud phase was not much fun.

Nicely done!

Greg.
I would like to know this stuff as well. I would also like to know how much you spent on all of the materials (lumber, carpet, drywall, etc.). I'm thinking about turning my basement into a HT, but I have no idea how much it would cost. I'm willing to do all of the work myself. It can't be that hard. Posted Image
My Home Theater
My DVD Collection

“JBL S-Series + SVS = ” - Phil Iturralde
----------------------------------------------------
The Portland, OR & Vancouver, WA HT Meet Thread

#48 of 57 Lyle_E

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted December 22 2003 - 12:49 AM

truly one of the best I have seen so far... inspiring
"its a little bit cheesy, but nicely displayed" - FZ
My Collection @ DVDSpot and the current Marysville UNOPLEX

#49 of 57 richard_v

richard_v

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 04:01 AM

Thanks again for the kind words.

My HT is approx. 19x16, save for the equipment wall which is angled to accommodate HVAC ducts (see pix). The 16x9 screen is 9 ½ feet wide - constructed with artist canvas stapled to a frame I built with 2x2s. The screen works well with my Z1 - first comments are usually how rich and detailed it picture is. The specs on my 6.1 sound is modest, but it sounds great to my ears: Panasonic receiver and DVD, Infinity speakers: RS5, CC3, RS3, RS1, Aiwa sub.

I actually enjoy the mudding stage of construction. The sanding is want I dread the most. The most labor intensive job was hanging drywall and moving all of the stage sand to the basement. Since I mainly worked on the theater late on weekend nights, I did all of the work myself – next time I will coax my buddies with beer and pizza!

The most enjoyable part of the HT build was conceiving ideas and educating myself how to build the darn HT as I went along. RC, roofing felt, carpet on walls, risers, stages, fiberboard, etc. were all new to me. The worst steps were the many changes I made along the way, such as tearing out my 1st stage and removing the door to the equipment room in favor of a built in bookcase.

All in all it turned our very nice. It is a real pleasure to watch and hear a movie as it was met to be. I got Raiders as a Xmas gift which I had not watched in years as I was burnt out with it – the theater made it like a new movie all over again.

#50 of 57 James_S

James_S

Second Unit

• 391 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 05:59 AM

Very Very Nice!!! Posted Image Posted Image
Do you spend time with your family.....
Cause a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
- Marlon Brando, The Godfather 1972

Demolition ForumMy Pathetic DVD Collection

#51 of 57 Ryan.S.

Ryan.S.

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted December 23 2003 - 11:06 AM

link doesn't work Posted Image

#52 of 57 Al_S

Al_S

Second Unit

• 452 posts

Posted December 25 2003 - 10:15 AM

Very nice looking theater! Excellent job!

#53 of 57 Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted December 25 2003 - 10:27 AM

Nice job, Richard. I showed my wife your photos, and I think she finally gets it! (Up to now, my project has appeared to be just an excuse to play with 2 by 4s and sawdust.)

#54 of 57 Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 26 2003 - 02:28 AM

Probably a stupid question for those that know what they're doing, but what is the sand in the stage used for?

By the way - Awesome job on the room. I'm planning on building a home theater in a new house that we are going to build soon and your pics gave me lots of ideas. Thanks.

Bill

#55 of 57 Nick P

Nick P

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted December 27 2003 - 05:56 AM

Bill,

The sand is used for dampening purposes. A hollow stage or riser will have a tendency to resonate.

#56 of 57 Kevin Terry

Kevin Terry

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted December 27 2003 - 11:09 AM

Wow you all have some really nice home theaters, I just have a DVD player (hooked up to my 1987 TV via an RF modulator), which rests beneath the VCR,which rests beneath the RCA amplified antenna.

#57 of 57 Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted December 31 2003 - 06:23 AM

I'm speechless, so I'll just go with WOW! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I plan to do my dedicated theater over the next year or so as well, I hope you won't mind me asking a few questions when I get going. (okay I'm lying I'll be asking ALOT of questions)