What's new

The best 'making-of' documentaries as extras (1 Viewer)

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
(Apologies if this has been said and done before...I couldn't find any such topic is a search)

Reading on The Bits that there has been footage vetoed by Fox from the 'Making of Alien3' documentary got me wondering...

What are the best behind-the-scenes / making-of documentaries on DVD, and also which films would you most like to see honest documentaries about?

My choices: Episode I's 'The Beginning' and 'The Hamster Factor' on the 12 Monkeys disc. Worth repeat viewings on their own. I also quite liked the ones on Basic Instinct and RoboCop as they were quite frank about the problems faced and overcome.

Ones I'd love to see: The real story of Superman II (hmm, as if this would ever get done!), one about the making of Titanic and a good one about how Tim Burton's Batman came together after its long gestation period and the casting contoversy etc.

I would also like to see more fact-based docus on discs of historical stories - it's nice that Seabiscuit will have some real life footage.

What do others think?

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Most of the "inside" documentaries on the Bond series are very good.

(they even did "inside Octopussy")

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
A Very British Psycho (on Peeping Tom) and Naked Making Lunch are the best two I've seen. Incidentally (but not coincidentally) they're both directed by the superb Chris Rodley.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The Making of Rushmore (Rushmore Criterion)
The Making of The Blues Brothers

And some good anime extras:
Akira Production Report (2-Disc SE)
The Making of Fruits Basket
Club Escaflowne

Christopher D

Second Unit
Two early great ones:

1) Under Pressure (The Abyss)
2) The Battle of Brazil.

For TV, the documentary on 24 Season 2 was fairly good.

P and SO

Agent
Real Name
Truls
I second Magnolia Diary, The Beginning and The Battle of Brazil.

Of course you have the exellent Lord of the Rings Appendices, and pretty much everything by Laurent Bouzereau.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The documentary on the Ben-Hur DVD is unbelievably good. It covers the whole history of the story, including the original movie version from the '20s and the original theatrical production from the late 1800s. Lots of really fascinating stories and details.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
No doubt the most exhaustive documentary on a film is the making of The Frighteners found on the Signature Series laserdisc.

A four and a half hour look at the making of the film including nearly an hour spent on the storyboarding process.

Other excellent documentaries:

The Making of Shogun

Indiana Jones: Making The Trilogy

George Stevens: Filmmakers Who Knew Him

The Sound of Music: From Fact To Phenonmenom

National Geographic's Beyond The Movie: Pearl Harbor

The Battle Over Citizen Kane

Sam Pekinpah: Man of Iron

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The ones I like the best are...

- The Thing
- Apollo 13
- Dante's peak
- The Phantom Menace
- The Abyss
- Fellowship Of The Ring
- The Two Towers

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
Most of these have been mentioned, but they are all truly great.

All the James Bond docs
LOTR: EE Appendices
The Abyss: Under Pressure

One of the ones I enjoy the most is the Jaws documentary. I would love to see the complete two hour version that came on the laser disc.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Some great ones already mentioned (Brazil, Twelve Monkeys and Magnolia). A few that haven't:

Halloween (25th Anniversary) - If only for the fact that we learn that Michael Myers' mask is actually a William Shatner mask with a few alterations...:laugh:
Russian Ark - Pretty amazing seeing the behind the scenes of this 90 minute single take movie. It must have made it even more complicated to have someone filming the actual filming...
The Stunt Man - I'm not as fond of this movie as some here are and the companion disc is pretty chesse-ily done, but it's also very informative on the process of making and getting a movie released. The director's ego is front and centre, but that makes it all the more fun.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Hearts Of Darkness: A Filmaker's Apocalyse on Apocalypse Now

Already mentionned: Hamster Factor and Lost In La Mancha... Hmmmm do I see something in common? :D

Vincent

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I love the LOTR Documentaries yet I don't care for the movies themselves. I also enjoyed the Episode I doc, and the battle over Citizen Kane.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks