What's new

newbie (1 Viewer)

GlennL

Auditioning
Hello all,

Quite a message board. Although I set the subject as a newbie, I do understand all the basic priciples. I just have not stayed as current as some. Did not have a need until now.

Before I bore you with my needs, I will first ask if it is okay to ask specifics with my own personal set up? I don't have the model numbers with me at the moment. I just signed up and have been spending some down time browsing.

Have digital/HDTV cable from COX, with a Sony 40" and a new low/mid level Sony "home theater in a box" set up. Can I post the images of the back panels and ask for some help in setting it up for the full effect? I set it up yesterday, and while it works, I know it is not configured properly. But at least I was able to correct the settings the cable guy left me with - better picture already.

Anyway, this is long enough, so I will just await your comments, and get back to you tomorrow, if the invitation is open.

Thank you very much,
Glenn.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Welcome aboard, Glenn. Please post links to the images, and we'll comment on your connections. Thanks!

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Yes, welcome Glenn. The more info that we have, the more help we can be. We just ask that you try to find answers to simple questions first by doing a search or checking the primer.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It sounds like you want a little bit of connection/setup guidance. If you've not stumbled upon the beginner's FAQ/Primer, there is lots of good information there.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=120328

Specific to how you have things setup, its hard to say if you figured things out or not, or what exactly you're looking for, either connections help, or calibration help.

In this thread, I've pretty thoroughly explained, and re-explained basic connections. I think you'll find it helpful if you're unsure as to whether you have things hooked up right, and if there are things left out because they were not specific to the questions in that thread, go ahead and ask.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=165960

As for calibration, again, there's some good info in the FAQ, and always use a test disc for video (Avia/VE/DVE).

GlennL

Auditioning
Gentlemen,
Just lost the second long post here because of restrictions on posting URL's. Not having a good day!

Here goes again, third time a charm, I hope. Appreciate your response. I have read much of your site, and I am not a complete newbie. I understand all the connections, and what they should do, it just seems that I get conflicting information, and the diagrams offered never show exacltly what I have. The confusion is mostly due to the cable box, I believe. Take that out of the equation, and the proplem is solved.

So, below are sort of links to the products I have. A Cox Cable Box, Sony XBR TV, Sony Receiver and Sony combo unit VCR/DVD. And to think, I kept it all Sony for ease of use...

Current set up works as expected only for DVD. If I have HDTV input selected on TV, I must select the option of VCR on the DVD/VCR unit for the sound to come from the reciever. But then the sound comes through the speakers from the TV no matter what input I am using on the TV. And I am not sure I am getting the true digital sound - which my wife wants for the cable music channels(She also suggests I just email you guys the images of the backs of each unit, and have you DRAW me a picture. I would of course, but would be so embarassed!!). As I am not sure where the sound is coming from - the big coaxial cable or the optical cable. Also, a tech at the store insisted there needed to be a S-VHS connection from the cable box to the TV? I left his sketch at home this morning (I start early and forget things in the morning).

I do at least feel confident with all of your assistance, I will get this figured out soon. Thank you very much. Let me know if I need to give any more info.
Best regards,
Glenn.

Cable box:
support.charter com/EMSArticles/CATVSupport/CableBox/Motorola_DCT_5100.pdf

Sony TV - Model KV40XBR
sonystyle com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Bi5DMyVzVRlDEBrCE5NJOGp_Y4lZ86kvbiA=?Pro ductSKU=KV40XBRKIT

Sony Home Theater - Model HTV1000DP:
sonystyle com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=Bi5DMyVzVRlDEBrCE5NJOGp_Y4lZ86kvbiA=?Cat egoryName=hav
_HomeTheater_HTSeries&ProductSKU=HTV1000DP&Dept=hav

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Precisely why I linked you to that thread, as it explains what each cable is doing. Once you understand what they do, then it's easy to connect everything up, otherwise it's very difficult to describe it every time for every unique setup. Basically, you need to send all the audio to the receiver, and all the video to the TV, OR you can send the audio through the receiver, and THEN on to the TV if you don't have enough inputs on the TV.

Reading your post, it sounds like you've got things going to strange places.

First, the DVD player. You need to run component video to the TV, and digital coax (audio) to the receiver.

For the cable box, you want to run component video to the TV, and digital coax(audio) to the receiver.

This way, there should be no sound going to the TV, and all the proper sound going to the receiver.

GlennL

Auditioning
Chris,
I understand what you are saying. I may not have the time this evening to work on the setup, but if I do, I will redo everything.

One thing I remember. The Cable box uses the supplied HD cables for Component video. When I re-routed the two audio cables to the receiver, I recall not getting any sound, so I plugged them back into the TV. That way, the TV speakers at least worked if I could not figure out the receiver. I believe there are seperate audio out jacks on the cable box. I guess I can use them to go to the TV for sound if I want to use just the TV sound.

The DVD is connected with component video. The digital coax (orange plug?) that came with the set is small gauge and was recommended to buy the optical plug for the sound. But I think I have that coming from the cable box. I am not at home at the moment, so I can't double check.

I hope you are a patient man, as I am sure I will be re-posting. Hopefully tonight.

Once I get this all hooked up, then I have to decide what sound output to choose. Who knew there were so many options. But that is for next week.

I appreciate your willingness. Hope you are having a good day.

With thanks,
Glenn

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Sure.

It sounds to me like you've got things a little bit scrambled up, but that's ok, if you just run, as I said, the single digital coax audio wires, and the component video(3 wires to the TV) you *should* be good to go.

I am wary about the cable box, you *might* need to use both analog and digital, as it may only put out a digital signal if the channel is running DD, and may not convert everything to the digital output. I'm not too familiar with cable boxes, but I just thought of that problem.

GlennL

Auditioning
Chris,

Well, after much trial and error, by jove I think I've got it.

You were partially right on the cable box. It does not really convert it to digital output (i don't think), but the A/V receiver has an "auto in" input option, and it does the conversion. One of my original problems was the setting was for digital only. Changed to auto, and that problem was solved.

Other sound problem was related to the A/V receiver, which I am not sure I solved, but worked around. The digital output did not work through an optical connection, but did through coax cable. Yet the optical output works through the VCR, so I just use the cables that way. From what I read, no real difference in quality. Just bothers me that the optical did not work. Of course, could be something I did.

Now, I just have to decide what 'dolby' choice to use. There are far to many options for output sound type on this unit. Plus, Sony has 3 or 4 of there own! When I last worked on this stuff, there was Dolby ProLogic,that was it. Now with 5.1, and the variations, who knows. I understand it is personal preference, and I suspect the differences will be subtle. Noticing now that some DVD's have more than one sound encoding on the label. Looks like I will need to read up some more.

But first, I need to get the Calibration DVD. I guess the money pit is endless...

I really do appreaciate your help. Reassuring to know you and others like you are here to offer guidance. I am sure I will be back.

Thank You,
Glenn.
ps, no time to spell check, I hope I passed the test.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks